Of the "BIG" questions, how many were answered?

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by WeAreTheBorg, Mar 21, 2009.

1. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

All Along the Watchtower..... no

Kara's ressurection and her connection to Watchtower, Hera, God etc.... no

The opera house..... sort of. The visions, yes, the opera house itself.... no.

The head characters......... no.

The hybrids and Anders and their mystical insights.... no.

How Tyrol gained 50 pounds from eating algae rations and working 16 hour shifts every day...... no.

I loved the finale, really, but I am somewhat miffed at the lack of explanation for so many key questions. I do appreciate the concept of leaving it up to the viewer, and I think concrete explanations for every detail would be 1) impossible and 2) a let down, but come on. A little more would have been nice.

Maybe in The Plan?

2. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Uh, we got a lot of answers to all of those questions.

3. WeAreTheBorg

Really? Okay, what were they. Saying "God did it" isn't an answer, that's what we've already known all along.

4. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Um yes. It was the road map to Earth (the harmonics of the notes were the coordinates).

Kara's resurrection wasn't answered, but her connection to the Watchtower (and Hera's) were. Hera drew the way to Earth. Kara's father wrote the song lyrics and the course to Earth.

They were answered in the final scenes. They were God's angels.

5. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

bolded in topic

6. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

You have stated the EXACT problem with this show from the last 6 episodes.

Just one example:
    Kara playing the piano = she's special. We've known that all along.

Well in the finale - we get a "kind of" definitive answer that head baltar and head six are some kind of agents of a "god", or "angels". We've known that all along.

They were either gonna find our earth in the past, present or future. We've known that all along.

You get my point. They can leave unanswered question, sure, but when the answers they DO give you, you have know for a long time, some even seasons long, that's very lame.

And when the one big answer they give you is "god did it" - YAWN.

7. T'Pers0n

T'Pers0n Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We know god did it. But, we don't know WHY god did it. What the hell was the story with the Lords of Kobol and all that jazz. Is he the jealous 13th lord or what's the deal. Why are his angels such dicks? Is he trying to end the cycle or keep it going?

8. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ We did see in the end coda that the angels were betting on if it would happen again.

9. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

The fact that God "doesn't like to be called that" leads me to think that he may not be so good.

10. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

Also let me say this about the musical notes. Saying Hera drew them and Starbuck played them and they were the jump coordinates to Earth is not answering WHY. It is saying what they were.

The answer is, for some reason, God chose to do it this way.

Why? Who is this God and why is he planting little clues everywhere? The answer "God did it" really doesn't answer shit.

11. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm also incredibly disappointed that all of these intricate plot details that RDM and the writers contrived didn't add up to a more interesting picture. I understand not every single question and every single detail needs to be explained, but I really think they dropped the ball on this a bit.

12. WeAreTheBorg

Yes, that's not an EXPLANATION though, that's just another cool twist. HOW was it a road map? How is it possible? Why THAT song? Etc...

Same as above... you're saying things we knew already. HOW these things are connected and why, is the question, and that question was not answered beyond "it was god's plan".

I refer to the last line of my original post. Saying god did it is not an answer.

I mean, I guess the message here is really that there was an actual God behind all of this. That's sort of an answer, but since we have been told this all along, it's not anything knew, and it's also the easy way to explain everything.

I feel now I should reinforce my opinion that this was an excellent finale, and these complaints are really minor in the grand scheme of things, in my view.

13. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

You answered your own question then: God did it and you've known it from the beginning. Have a problem with it? Get over it.

14. steveman

steveman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, man. Couldn't agree more. You just verbalized a formless thought that's been swimming around in my head since the finale ended.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

"God is the answer" is only a way of saying that there is no answer. ;)

16. Dar70

Dar70 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Totally agree. I have liked this show to varying degrees over the years. It has had it ups and downs. It has been great the last two seasons, unfortunately they dropped the ball the last hour.:( But ya know shows that write themselves in a corner pretty much always end up like this. They get so contrived it ends up being a simple answer like"god".

17. WeAreTheBorg

Given that we've been told this all along, it was reasonable to expect some explanation beyond that mystical explanation that really doesn't require any real explanation. I never expected that God would be debunked and revealed to be something else, I just wanted some insight into why all this happened. If God did it, WHY did he do it?

18. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Good question. Probably something along the biblical route of humanity are God's children and he wants them to survive. The apocalypse where the Cylons destroyed the colonies of Kobol and they returned to Earth was another Doomsday. I read somewhere that when Glen A Larsen came up with the show it was meant to be Noah's Ark in space.

19. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed... I was happy with answers to every question the OP mentioned.

20. Elwin Ransom

Elwin Ransom Commander Red Shirt

I actually find it kind of compelling that, after seasons of Six's faith in God coming across as trippy and kinda nuts, it turns out that really was just it. Sure, it raises a lot of questions; but these are some of the greatest questions asked by mankind throughout our history. If BSG tried to tie them up into a bow, it'd probably come across as trite. But to put forth the premise and leave a great deal to the audience's interpretation and imagination is quite bold. Especially when it is given in a modern sci-fi series.