Oberth deckplans

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Bounty, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Bounty

Bounty Commander Red Shirt

Hey all,

I'm not sure if this should be here or in Trek Tech so mods, feel free to move this if I messed up.

I was wondering if anyone can point me to deck plans of the Oberth class. I know there used to be a Stategic Designs set for sale but that site's now gone.

If anyone knows of a set, preferably one that's free or not too expensive, preferably digital, I'd be very much obliged.

2. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Bounty

Thanks, but the links to the actual deckplans have been removed.

4. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Bounty

6. Bell'Orso

Bell'Orso Lieutenant Red Shirt

[EDIT: Sorry, the TrekBBS cannot be used to advise on how to steal copyrighted materials - post deleted. - Ptrope]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2013
  7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^No, don't do that. It's called stealing.

8. QuinnTV

QuinnTV Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

No, it's called accessing pictures on an open, unprotected, public directory. The thumbnails are not down-scaled versions of the full prints. There are no security measures being circumvented. (The lack of a direct link isn't one.) I've looked at some of the coding for that website and there is a distinct difference between the naming of the full sized jpgs and the thumbnails. This has been the case for a long time; I remember checking this out about 2 years ago. It cannot be said that the operator of the page has no idea that the full sized pictures are available to the public. They were actively put there.

This topic has come up before and hit with the mod hammer. It likely will again, but let's be honest about what's going on here, at least. Boot these posts, keep it an open secret and let it be a "wink wink, those prints are unavailable" thing, but let's not get into accusing people of theft.

9. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^Sojourner's playing around...

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Actually, no, I'm not. Just because someone leaves they're front door open does not give you the right to take things out of their house.

11. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

but if they leave things out on the front lawn, are you wrong for taking a photo of them?

12. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Hmm... seems like we're about to be dealing with the sticky wicket of 20th Century Intellectual Property Law in a 21st Century world. This really needs to be ironed out...

--Alex

13. Bell'Orso

Bell'Orso Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yeah, last time someone asked about deckplans from SD on here it seemed OK to point out that workaround when someone else did, but now it isn't. Oh well, sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes.

14. The Librarian

The Librarian Commodore Commodore

I found a set on DeviantArt, although it's for a 'refit' 24th century version. There are a few bits that were a little wonky, too, although I did like that it had stairs, which automatically puts it above 90% of deck plans in my opinion, particularly for smaller ships.

15. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Sorry, Bell'Orso - it's never been OK. The BBS is pretty strict about neither promoting nor enabling the violation of IP, whether it's Paramount or any other creator. Creating fan art and items is reasonably-well accepted, even though one could probably make the argument that a lot of it probably violates copyrights in some way, but when it comes to things like sites that offer items for sale, or even ones that don't but it's something that's not out there for access to the public, it's pretty much zero tolerance for circumventing the external site's rules.

And now we're all better-informed and all on the same page, right, guys? ;)

16. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral