NOT Our Earth

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by BolianAuthor, Mar 16, 2009.

1. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

2. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

very interesting . . .

3. Kchunda

Kchunda Commander Red Shirt

Wow - that's a lot to absorb. . . there goes the rest of my day! :p

4. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

People keep bringing this up, mainly because the CGI guys made a hell of a job covering up the surface with clouds, even if our Earth was shown clear as day.

5. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Interesting, but I still think it was our Earth.

6. Cid Highwind

Cid Highwind Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes... "Nuked Earth" was necessarily clouded because the fact that the landmass consists of glass and ashes without any vegetation would have been visible otherwise. :)

Not saying there won't be another Earth this late in the game, but a clouded CGI planet is not proof of that.

7. Kchunda

Kchunda Commander Red Shirt

Something that really caught my attention was the discussion on how the stars in Home, Pt II do not, have never and will never match our constellations. . . so it couldn't be our Earth that they found - although the star fields do hint that a lot of Season 4 has been in the close proximity of our solar system. . .

Most likely not a clue, just "it's a TV show". . .

8. jadcox@mindspring.com

jadcox@mindspring.com Commodore Commodore

Now that's just cool. Great work.

9. The_Beef

The_Beef Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

An excellent find and very interesting. However, I'm more inclined to say that the SFX guys have just been seeding in the constellations to imply that the fleet was near earth, without realizing that the constellations would look different, even from a nearby star system. At least, that's what this site maintains, to tell the truth its not something I know much about. I think the SFX answer is more plausible than the "hopping back and forth in our solar system" theory, as fascinating as it may be.

10. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

Here's a brain fart...

What if that's not even the Milky Way? What if all this is taking place in another galaxy, far, far away? A galaxy where the people call themselves humans, and a few planets are called Earth?

11. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

I think the whole thing is Starbuck dreaming. WHen she wakes up she will be back on Caprica.

12. Magic_Al

Magic_Al Captain Captain

Our Earth was unambiguously shown only at the end of season three in that final galactic whiplash shot. That the Cylon Earth's contours are never seen clearly makes me think nobody went to our Earth and the season three conclusion was a dishonest tease.

13. Admiral2

Admiral2 Vice Admiral Admiral

It's all based on a faulty assumption: that the star patterns depicted in the show are legitimate. This can only be true if the premise of the show - that these are beings coming from a different part of the galaxy in an attempt to find Earth - is false. If the premise is true, then the star patterns are not legitimate at all, but instead are the end result of the "documenters" of the events' either inability or lack of desire to depict star patterns that aren't visible from Earth's night sky.

If that's the case, it could be our Earth, and some of us have just been fooled into thinking it's not.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Uh, I'm not exactly following this here...could you rephrase? :confused: I mean, what is this about a documentary? This isn't
    Babylon 5
    , after all. ;)

15. troisboobs

troisboobs Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

How uber-geeky :) Someone has too much time on their hands

16. WendellM

WendellM Commodore Commodore

I find that a completely convincing and rational argument, and I entirely believe it. Star Trek taught me what Earth looks like:

[​IMG]

Not a single cloud visible from space and the USA prominently featured... Clearly BSG's "Earth" is too cloudy, doesn't show the US, and is thus a deception!

(Yeah, I'm kidding. No insult meant to the linked site's author, and he may indeed turn out to be right in the final ep(!), but I think he's going a little deeper than is justified.)

17. vampgrrl

vampgrrl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A little?