No More Wrath of Khan Homages

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by The Overlord, Sep 15, 2013.

1. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

What is shocking is you have a single minded idea of how Trek should be and that Paramount, Abrams, the writing staff should change the direction they took which made millions and entertained a much wider audience in order to please the minority.

Besides I find your alternative ideas of characterisation very typical of 1990's Trek obsession of self-indulgence and constant canon self reference.

2. umichigan

umichigan Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The sure sign of a weak argument is when one of the participants resorts to a personal attack. Furthermore, your appeal to evidence by pointing out that millions were entertained, etc. is a classic straw man fallacy.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  3. anh165

What counts as 'commercial appeal' back in 1982 and 1986 is not the same as in 2013.

Things have changed, whether or not you think it has progressed artistically.

High budget films are not made to tick the boxes of a few demanding fans, it is there to make money by mass appeal.

4. anh165

Personal attack? I simply made an opinion that your ideas of Trek is not suitable for today's audience due to its self indulgence, no one gives a damn if Kirk liked to play baseball, or if Chekov liked to collect romulan postage stamps. It is poor story telling to waste minutes of screen time forcing audences to listen to trival facets of character's history that has no significant contribution to the story telling. Again all IMHO.

The same way you express your opinion that JJ Trek is guilty of 'character destruction'.

P.S - People are not forced to watch Star Trek into darkness, yet many of them have paid up with their own money and invested 2+hrs of their time and many of them came out smiling. For me as a trek fan, that is one of the best things that can happen!

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

If you honestly believe that there has been a personal attack, then the thing for you to do would be to use the Notify Moderator button to bring attention to it, not to call it out in-thread.

I'd question the validity of the claim, though. If one endeavors to make a point by using language such as "X would have more credibility with me if... " and "it's Y that sticks in my craw," is it really a personal attack if the person responding to that language opines that "you have a single minded idea of how Z should be"?

I'm not so sure.

anh165 could probably stand to dial it back a notch himself, but I'd like you to try to keep this a friendly discussion and leave the "stern debate-class lecture" shtick for debate class. That tactic is one which has badly worn out its welcome here of late.

6. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course, only one was destroyed in each timeline. ( And in the Prime timeline case it's only the capital of an empire that was destroyed, so the culture itself presumably lives on. )

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Well, actually no cultures have been destroyed. :p

Romulus and Vulcan were/are storytelling tools, nothing more.

8. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Yeah. Only Nero's family was stupid enough to be on Romulus when the Sun went supernova... no warning there...:rolleyes:

Lots of Vulcans and the Katric Arc made it off and are on "new Vulcan".