NFL Offseason '14: Wake me up when minicamps start

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Timby, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

It's not like Philadelphia is known for being a small market town with a polite media. New York media ain't got nothing on the Philly media.

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Thanks for the memories, Mark. May the flight of angels sing thee to thy rest.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Are you saying you wouldn't want the Bears to consider picking him up?

4. Timby

As a one-year flyer on a minimum salary deal, maybe. I'd be much more interested in Josh Freeman.

Edit: For illustration's sake:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  5. Ar-Pharazon

Bills owner Ralph Wilson Jr. has passed at age 95.

Last of the original 8 AFL owners.

6. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Hmm...what is the source, here?

Drew Brees is on there twice. Maybe I'm going blind, but I don't see Kurt Warner on there at all.

Some of those rankings seem very counter-intuitive....

7. Ar-Pharazon

Jared Allen signs with the Bears.

So, da Bears subtract Peppers, Melton & Wooten (the biggest loss here I think) and they add Allen, Lamarr Houston, Willie Young & Idonije.

Are we better or worse on the D-Line? Houston is younger than Peppers, so I think that can be a plus.

8. Timby

Allen is a definite improvement on Peppers, who doesn't have much, if anything, left on the tank, and the contract is structured so they can cut ties with him in two years (which is probably a real possibility; Allen's been hitting his numbers by diminishing his focus on the run game). Wootton for Houston is essentially a wash. Losing Melton hurts a lot.

The line is definitely younger, and Allen won't have Peppers' problem (in that he was utterly incapable of actually touching an opposing quarterback). Better? Eh. Definitely not worse.

9. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I only see Drew Brees on there once. Maybe you were looking at Drew Bledsoe?

I'm sure the list covers 4 consecutive starting seasons. Drew Brees did not make it 4 consecutive seasons in San Diego (was pulled a few times, and had that injury). Of course, he's been with New Orleans since 2006.

As far as Kurt Warner, he was replaced multiple times in seasons with both the Rams and Cardinals (and Giants), and only ever completed three seasons as a starter (two with St Louis, one with Arizona).

10. 1001001

Drew Brees is listed toward the top, under Peyton Manning, and again toward the middle, under Jeff Hostetler.

So the criteria is you had to have started and played in every game for at least four full seasons? Did Neil Lomax ever play four complete seasons? Brian Griese?

I don't even know if Sanchez started all the games in his 4 seasons.

It's not really clear what the specific criterion are, but when I see Tom Flores and Brian Griese outranking Brett Favre, and David Garrard outranking Troy Aikman, I get a little suspicious...

:lol:

;)

11. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

The list has vague criteria, I was just going on what made sense to me. Now I see Drew Brees name the second time, curious to me if that's intentional or an error.

12. Alidar Jarok

No one commenting on DeSean Jackson being cut by the Eagles? He always struck me as a person who would do stupid things on the field occasionally and disappear occasionally, but the disappearing act never seemed related to character issues and I never really noticed any off the field character issues. However, every player who was an on the field showboater who was never thought to have off the field issues ended up having off the field issues (Owens, Moss, etc.). His reported ties to gangs seemed to be the catalyst. Perhaps it's overblown. I'm not sure I would have made this decision just yet without knowing more, but I can also not wanting to see it blowing up in their face. They don't want another Aaron Hernandez situation.

One thing's sure. Whoever gets him will be getting a great addition to their team if there are no character issues. I'm surprised no one would be willing to sacrifice a draft pick to make sure to get him, but that seems to be how the NFL operates. The rumor is the Jets, which would completely transform that team (particularly with Vick as a potential starter to throw to him).

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I think he'd put the Patriots offense over the top (the only major piece they're really lacking is that speedy deep threat), but I don't see it happening partly because they probably don't have enough room under the cap for him anymore, and also because they already got burned by Hernandez and might be reluctant to take a chance on Jackson due to his alleged gang ties.

14. Alidar Jarok

In other news, it's time for everybody's favorite time of the year: Rule Changes!

First off, the No Fun League has banned dunking the ball through the uprights. Their tenuous rationale is player safety from falling field goal posts. On the positive side, they've increased the height of the field goal posts to reduce the likelihood of an ambiguous call where it goes straight over the top.

They changed the replay rules to allow refs to consult with refs from New York and to allow refs to review loose ball recoveries. They now make it so the clock keeps running after a QB sack after the two minute warning (something I thought already happened). Finally, they banned roll-up blocks from the side and defensive fouls behind the line of scrimmage are now enforced from the spot of the foul.

They tabled a rule about moving extra point attempts, but are trying them from the 20 yard line in pre-season. I'm curious to see how that'll feel. The link above has all other tabled and rejected rules.

15. 1001001

The Rams could sure use him.

16. Timby

The timing of it is incredibly fishy, though. This was obviously in the works for weeks, given their attempts to trade him and how urgently they worked to re-sign Maclin and Cooper. I mean, they only cut him an hour before the gang story broke -- which is a semi-slimy move on their part, considering how hard they were working to deal him. "Here, have this guy. By the way you're going to get hit by a circumstantial, unsubstantiated story that he has ties to gangs, enjoy."

17. Ar-Pharazon

NFL - 2014 Offseason

No offseason NFL thread, so I thought I'd start one beginning with the 2014 draft which is coming to a close.

My Bears have some interesting picks, and a couple head-scratchers.

#14 Kyle Fuller CB-Va.Tech - Good choice, they need secondary help more than anything

#51 Ego Ferguson DT-LSU - Still good, they also need defensive line help

#82 Will Sutton DT-Az.State - See above

#117 Ka'Deem Carey RB-Az. - It's good to take a young RB at this point. The backups weren't stellar last year

#131 Brock Vereen S-Minn. - They traded their fifth round pick to get a second shot in the fourth round. Looks like a good call.

#183 Davis Fales QB-San Jose State - Another late round QB that will never see action with the Bears?

#191 Patrick O'Donnell P-Miami(FL) - Some competition for Podlesh and that's about it?

#246 Charles Leno OL-Boise State - Can't hurt to have some fresh depth on the O-Line

18. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Re: NFL - 2014 Offseason

As a Cowboys fan I am somewhat proud of Jerry and the gang. This draft was a victory to me as soon as Manziel's name was printed on a Browns jersey. The Cowboys are building a line that will remind people of the mid 90's wall that protected Aikemen, which is going to be very important with a QB recovering from back surgery. The first round pick of Martin helps Romo and more importantly, Demarco Murray. The rest was heavy on Defense.

Michael Sam getting draft towards the end was a cool moment but prepare for the scum of society to act like him kissing his boyfriend is the end of modern society.

19. 1001001

My Rams had a very good draft, I think.

No receivers, so they must have confidence in the current crew...we'll see. With Robinson joining the O Line I hope to see Bradford upright for a majority of the season...

:lol:

As for Michael Sam...this is interesting from a football point of view, not just a social one. SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Year lasts until round 7? He is a bit small for an NFL DE, and is probably going to need to reinvent himself as a linebacker.

I wish the kid good luck. It is a pretty cool thing. Hopefully the knuckleheads out there will keep it professional.

20. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

The Rams were pretty much playing with house money by the time they got to Sam so I should have seen that pick coming. He will be struggling for playing time but he will go to a great coaching staff that can use his talents to supplement an increasingly scary defense. Rams killed it in the draft.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.