New to TNG

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Alexiad, Aug 2, 2014.

1. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

Via listentoamovie.com, I'm currently listening to an episode I've seen several times since it originally aired: "Q Who" from the middle of season 2. In the fullness of time I've grown to consider this the best episode of the first two seasons, and not just because it's the harbinger of "The Best of Both Worlds" or because John De Lancie is given many of his best-ever lines as Q. It also doesn't include a role for the ship's chief medical officer, which is nice for those who don't enjoy the Pulaski character even if otherwise they're fans of Diana Muldaur (as I am). Some of the best music of the series, too.

2. johnjm22

johnjm22 Commander Red Shirt

Season 2 is very underrated. Lots of good episodes.

It also lays the foundations of some great TNG story arcs.

3. asl

asl Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

New to Star Trek? Luck you. I wish I could, again, watch the all the series' for the first time.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haha, love those old VHS sets where you have to pay $20 for two episodes.

There are some people out there who actually paid somewhere around $1600 for the whole series. Me, I just taped them off the TV.

5. extremedalek

extremedalek Ensign Red Shirt

I'd reiterate what others have said about sticking with the early seasons. I joined TNG in season 4, so when I originally went back to the older episodes, I hated them. I thought they were cheap, overly-dramatic and the characterisations all over the place. That was pretty much my view for years afterwards.

However, I've just completed a marathon of season 1 this week, and I've found that there is much to enjoy here.