NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Trek Survivor, Jun 17, 2011.

1. datalogan

datalogan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was a little annoyed by that, too. But after some thought, I also see this different ending as a completely logical outcome. Unlike in the original timeline, this Boma had probably served under Spock during the brief period when he was Captain of the Enterprise. Everyone probably would be a little less inclined to argue with him given his history. Plus, for some reason, he decided to try and take the dead body with them up in the shuttle vice unceremoniously dumpin it. These was a big point on contention between Boma and Spock in the original version that didn't happen in this version.

And as for Uhura rescuing them vice Spock getting to do his moment of desperation. This actually makes sense. In this timeline, with Uhura and Spock as lovers, they probably have some small telepathic link that would allow her to find him on the planet even though sensors didn't work. This wasn't the case in the original timeline.

I also found it interesting in the comic how Kirk was able to pull out some obscure Starfleet regulation to get the High Commissioner off his back. Kirk in the original timeline didn't do this. What are the writers trying to say there about nuKirk versus the original timeline? Maybe nuKirk sees that he's a little out of his element, promoted so fast, and is taking extra time to study things like regs and historical precident so he doesn't make stupid mistakes. Or maybe the writers just felt it was a more realistic outcome than the original episode, where they just coincidentally saved the day just in the kick of time without Kirk's actions causing that save.

2. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I rather like that logic.

3. datalogan

In fact, you have to wonder why nuUhura didn't use her link with Spock to rescue him earlier.

It also occurs to me that nuSpock doesn't really need a "moment of desperation" like the original Spock did. nuSpock already had his moment when he learned the value of his human emotions and how to use them in a positive way -- it happen to him in the Star Trek [09] movie. That, coupled with his early relationship with nuUhura, has made this Spock a little less rigid. Maybe that's why in this new version he tried to take off with a dead body aboard vice leaving it behind as cold logic might dictate.

4. Pauln6

I think Vulcan telepathy has always been portrayed as rather nebulous, generally only usable with physical contact or at very short range with extreme concentration. I rather like the limitations. Compare that to the awful way they displayed the plot-busting casually intrusive betazoid telepathy in TNG. I hope they keep the lid on Spock's abilities but let them pop occasionally where we don't expect them. A bit of subconscious inspiration for Uhura's search fits that bill perfectly and a plot contrivance is immediately plugged! Well done :)

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

From reading the above comments, I suspect that the reason they chose this episode to adapt was specifically to highlight how this version of Spock is different from his predecessor.

6. datalogan

I think you're right, Christopher.
    It was nuSpock in the 2nd comic that disobeyed orders and rescued nuKirk from the nuMitchell. (Although how you sneak up on a God and give him a FSNP is beyond me.)
    And at the end, nuSpock didn't have to say "I felt for him as well". nuKirk already knows nuSpock has feelings.

7. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

" (Although how you sneak up on a God and give him a FSNP is beyond me.)"

He was new at the whole God thing.

8. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"False god. Dead false god."

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

There's a seven-page preview of the first issue (#5) of the "Operation: Annihilate!" two-parter at:
    http://trekmovie.com/2012/01/17/see...joyride-in-star-trek-ongoing-comic-5-preview/

a cover design and description of #6 at:
    http://www.tfaw.com/Profile/Star-Trek-Ongoing-6___397820

followed by a cover design and description of "The Vendetta Conspiracy" (#7), the first new storyline:
    http://www.tfaw.com/Profile/Star-Trek-Ongoing-7___399587

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Interesting to see a flashback to the aftermath of little Jimmy Kirk's joyride (and they're even getting the detail right that nobody but Jim calls his older brother "Sam") -- but what's Winona doing there? I thought the dialogue said she was off-planet at the time. I suppose she could've just been on the Moon or somewhere close enough to get back by nightfall, but my impression from the scene was that she was somewhat more inaccessible, which is why the boys needed to stay with Uncle Frank in the first place.

11. Therin of Andor

Could it be a few days later and the car's only just been found?

Interesting that Uncle Frank is clarified as being Winona's older brother, not a new husband or live-in partner.

I wonder if they'll keep George Jr alive in this story?

12. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

Mitchel died the same way jerec died from Star wars Jedi Knight 1.

He was not used with using his godly powers and was distracted for a moment and thats when he died.

13. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i just read issue 5. Best one yet by far, finally taking some chances and using the old tv episode to go in an entire new direction.

14. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

I would give 7 out of 10 for issue 5.

15. Therin of Andor

Very enjoyable! #5.

16. All-You-Can-Eat

All-You-Can-Eat Cadet Newbie

Did anyone notice Kirk in issue #5 tapping his shirt insignia to attempt to communicate with Enterprise, a la TNG? Maybe that's why they wouldn't answer...

17. Therin of Andor

Ha! Could be another Easter egg. They are metal, rather than leatherette, insignias.

Ah: a few details for #8 have been released, including an appearance by Sarek:
    http://www.trektoday.com/content/2012/01/star-trek-ongoing-comic-8/

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  18. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I actually liked this issue the best out of all of them so far. I guess they couldn't use Jennifer Morrison's likeness for Winona Kirk because she didn't look like her, even a few years older. I did like the follow up to that scene! Looking forward to the next part.

19. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

this book just keeps getting better that is way I love IDW.

20. Pauln6

I'm really enjoying the series so far. Does this issue feature our first female security guard? :bolian: I'll be disappointed if she's billed as 'just' another yeoman. All we need then are a few new recurring alien characters to go alongside our humans.

I really like the spin they put on the corvette scene. Suddenly it turns a brat into a human being. Very nicely done. I'm looking forward to reading the rest.