New FREE Star Trek TOS game now available!

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by GambitRealm, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

I haven't been running the newest version because I only recently got internet at home, downloading it right now as I type. Maybe when you're done with this project you can work on a TNG one?

2. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

I haven't been running the newest version because I only recently got internet at home, downloading it right now as I type. Maybe when you're done with this project you can work on a TNG one?

3. Buck Rogers

Buck Rogers Captain Captain

I just downloaded the demo.
    When is the whole program available by cd or DVD?

Signed

Buck Rogers

4. GambitRealm

GambitRealm Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello all,

We just released an updated version of the demo (version 1.04) that includes many improvements and bug fixes. You start on the bridge, where there are lots of new things to see. Look for various Easter Eggs by clicking on things where your cursor changes to a hand (characters, consoles, etc).

Short list of changes in this release:

BUG FIXES / MAINTENANCE:

- Resolved bug with Options screen not working in versions 1.02 and 1.03
    - Fixed more scoring and beam-in bugs in client/server multiplayer code
    - Cleaned up mission start/end code so objects appear and disappear more
    efficiently when changing flight missions
    - Put collision into turbolift walls, so you can't walk through them anymore
    - Put collision on top dome of saucer, so you can stand or land on it
    - Rotated moon so proper side is facing the player

ENHANCEMENTS:

- All the consoles on the bridge have been replaced with new animated ones
    (most are clickable and will bring up the test console window)
    - Main view screen updated, it now no longer shows a starfield since the
    ship is stationary (it now shows a static image of the Earth and the
    Klingon battle cruiser)
    - Added many sound effects (shuttlebay doors, enhanced explosions, etc)
    - Added foundation of character dialogue system
    (click on characters to hear them speak)
    - Added hailing sound and messages into chat window when missions are completed
    - Improved the chat function, it now auto-focuses on the input window when
    you hit the C key so you can start typing right away
    (also a communicator sound now plays when you engage the chat)

At this time we do not have a patch complete, so you will need to delete your current install and download the entire new version (115 mb), but it's worth it. A patch that will take a current 1.03 installation and bring it up to 1.04 is forthcoming in the next few days for those who do not wish to do the entire download again.

Please spread the word and leave us feedback on what you like, what works and what doesn't for you, performance issues, questions, etc. We like to hear what people have to say.

More updates are coming - next version may include a few more decks to explore, stay tuned!

Cheers,

Paul Weston
    Gambit Realm development team

5. GambitRealm

Greetings Earthlings!

We are pleased to announce a major new release of our NCC1701 game... The base download now includes 2 additional decks below the main shuttlebay, and you can now move shuttles up and down the main elevator to and from the garage and maintenance areas.

New consoles are available on-board, with many new buttons to push. We also have a bunch of destroyable objects for you to blow up, and more areas of the ship to explore.

For our registered users, we have provided a small downloadable file that will actually unlock the entire lower hull - decks 15 through 24, as a separate mission. So you can finally fully explore this part of the ship, where there is much to see and do.

Visit http://gambitrealm.com to download the latest 2.0 base game version (250 MB download - and requires that you delete your existing installation first), and then visit our members' area - Downloads section - to obtain your patch that will unlock the entire lower hull (a tiny 400 KB download).

We are happy to get this out just in time for the new year, and hope you all enjoy it. A lot of hard work goes into this project, but your support and feedback keeps us going. In the new year, work continues - having now almost completely furnished the lower hull, we move on to the neck and saucer sections. Stay tuned, and visit our website frequently to keep abreast of our progress.

Live long and prosper!

Christmas 2010

6. cloneof

cloneof Ensign Newbie

From what I can see from the screenshots, I hope that this project get's into completion.

I would most certainly want to purchase a game of this much Trekkiness.

7. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wish that i had a better computer so that I could play this.

8. GambitRealm

Hello everyone,

We have just released our latest version of the NCC1701 Game Demo, download it at http://gambitrealm.com.

This version includes numerous changes, including:

BUG FIXES / MAINTENANCE:
    - Fixed Master Server issue to re-enable Internet play
    - Various multiplayer spawning bugs resolved
    - Klingon fighter (KuRist) can now be properly docked in the Enterprise
    - Homing torpedoes now faster and much more accurate
    - Klingon Battle Cruisers not quite as impossible to destroy now
    - Replaced "Torque 3D" splash logo with "Garage Games" logo
    - Small fixes to PREPARE MISSION, JOIN SERVER, and OPTIONS screens

ENHANCEMENTS:
    In-game web content! Find the giant floating web page on the inside of the space dock, and view web content and flash videos...

Deck 20
    - Added some fan artwork and a grand piano to the lounge area near the pool
    - Added emergency battery backup rooms, port and starboard

Deck 21
    - Added machinery to food preparation area

Also, since we are now including the Lower Hull mission with the base download, we have changed the add-on patch available to members to be a new Klingon Hunt mission - where you have to eliminate a boarding party that has spread out across the lower decks of the Enterprise.

And please check the NEWS section of the site for some important info regarding future development of this project.

Hope you are all enjoying the game, and we look forward to getting the full ship completed and out to the masses sometime this year.

Thank you all for your interest, live long and prosper!

9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey GambitRealm, I hate to be the first bug question/technical issue guy, but I can't get the game to start. I got this error message:

[​IMG]

And so went to compatibility mode and set it for XP SP2 and Run as Admin but then got the first message and this additional error message:

[​IMG]

10. GambitRealm

Hi there,

Most likely all you require is the latest DirectX from Microsoft - go to their website, and run their web installer to make sure you are up to date. You may think your system is current, but in my experience going to the MS site and doing the web install for the latest DirectX will fix most issues even when one believes they already have the latest software. The X_Audio errors you are getting indicate missing DirectX files, meaning you probably have a slightly different version of DirectX than what was used to build the game EXE.

Let me know if that works.

Cheers,

Paul Weston

11. tsmith74

tsmith74 Cadet Newbie

Hi. It seems like a great project, but, unfortunately, I can't get the demo to work on my computer. I click "Beam Aboard" and then it begins loading. The bar fills about a centimeter and then I get a Windows error report, E.G. "*program* has encountered a problem and needs to close." Rather than take the tradtional Kirk route and fiddle with things I don't understand, I thought I'd ask for help. So, help?

12. GambitRealm

Hello there,

If you look in the directory where you installed the game, there is a console.log file. Can you e-mail that to me, along with a quick list of your system specs (CPU type and speed, amount of RAM, and video card make/model). I'll look into it.

If you get past the intro screen OK and the game is only crashing after clicking BEAM ABOARD, this usually indicates a system slightly below required specs. You can try to turn down the detail levels in OPTIONS before loading, and see if that helps. If not, as I said, please send your console.log along with your specs and we'll get back to you.

Cheers,
    Paul Weston
    email: paul.r.weston at gmail.com

13. GambitRealm

Only took two years, but for anybody still following this project / thread, I have good news!

I offer here the link to the first public release of the entire ship. Please feel free to download it and try it for yourself. We would welcome any feedback, as even though this is a "final" release of sorts it will always be a work-in-progress that we come back to from time to time. It's a labour of love :)

NCC1701: Exploration (RELEASE 1.0) download link:
    http://gambitrealm.com/INSTALLER/download_release1.php

Enjoy everybody!

PS - we know there can never be ONE definitive version of the ship that gets EVERYTHING right (100% accurate to show, plus makes sense from a structural/engineering perspective, plus reconciles in some way with the various blueprints available), so we welcome any contributions from the community. We can take anybody's models and adapt them to drop into the engine, and we will give appropriate credit for anything submitted. We have already placed several original Trek-themed paintings around the ship that were donated by artist fans, and our background music was also composed and offered to us by a fan. So please, if you have a better looking transporter room / sickbay bed / computer console, etc, than we came up with, we would love to have your work in the game!

Live long and prosper :)

Cheers,
    Paul Weston

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  14. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

404 Not found?

15. GambitRealm

Link fixed, I had forgotten the "http://" in the code :)

16. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Is there a way to adjust or turn off the music?

17. werdegast

werdegast Lieutenant Red Shirt

Great fun. I would like to see higher resolution deck plans of this version. Thanks for taking the time to work this out.

18. Maxx42

Maxx42 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Click the icon to start the game and get an error message

"Failed to set a light manager"

asks if I want to send an error report.

I do and then it closes out

Running XP with plenty of space

19. GambitRealm

Hey all, just checking in after the weekend... 300 downloads since Friday, wow!

@Ronald: In the main menu, before you go into the game, there is an options screen. In there, you may be able to control the sound/music volume, depending on how Torque recognizes your sound card. We were happy to just get music into the game, and have been focused on the structure and mechanics of the ship, so we never really worked on audio controls as a priority. I will make a note to test that and come up with a solution so you're not blasted with high-volume music when the game starts :)

@werdegast: When you say deck plans, do you mean the in-game maps for the turbolifts? When you enter a turbolift and click the little panel at the back, you can see a deck plan of your current deck, and if you then click the little profile of the ship on the map screen it will switch to a side view where you can select other decks. Each deck has an overhead annotated screen shot of the in-game deck, so you can see where everything is... We do not have a "you are here" feature though, which would be really useful but is turning out to be difficult to implement.

As for stand-alone deck plan rederings, if that's what you mean, we may produce larger versions of the deck-map images and put them on our website for reference.

@maxx42: Sounds like your video card is just not compatible with Torque. It has trouble with on-board cards, and prefers an after-market NVidia or ATI. If you have Intel on-board we frequently see problems with that. If you have NVidia or ATI and it still is not working, then perhaps post your console.log file from the game directory and I will look for error messages there.

Thanks for the feedback everyone :)

Cheers
    Paul

20. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Paul, I did check into options and it must not like my laptop's sound electronics. Any fixs in the future?