New blurbs for Raise the Dawn, Fallen Gods, and The Eternal Tide

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by 8of5, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. The Viators.

2. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Cue brainstorming as to how the word "Viator" might relate to ancient terraforming and other Titan plot threads! :techman:

3. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thats what I'm thinking.

4. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Another thought: Given that we have slipstream now, do you think there's a chance that the "threat to the wormhole" might actually result in the loss of it? We can now feature the Gamma Quadrant and Dominion without it, after all, so it might have become suitable for "killing off"?

5. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, these sound awesome.

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Admiral

Sounds to me like the author will have fun trying to answer that question in a novel for us to read.

7. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

Finally, Voyager going into former Borg Space. I knew they were going to do that eventually, but I want to see it, **^& it!

Glad to see Mike Martin following up on that Terraforming Tech story plot. By the end of Seize the Fire was was almost screaming at the book "For all love, WHO invented the technology?!?"

8. JD

JD Admiral Admiral

They also have the description up for the first half of DRGIII's TP duology, Plagues of Night.
    and Storming Heaven, the Vanguard finale.
    All of these books sound great, I can't wait to get my hands on them.

9. David Mack

David Mack Writer Commodore

^ The Vanguard blurb is an error. That was the original (inaccurate) sales blurb for Declassified. I've asked for the digital catalog to be updated with the back-cover copy, but so far I've received no response, nor have I been told when I might be able to promote said back-cover description. But that is definitely not it.

10. JD

JD Admiral Admiral

That was actually on the main page for the book on the S&S site, not the catalog.

11. David Mack

David Mack Writer Commodore

^ It's still outdated, not to mention from another book, and should not be considered relevant. Again, I'll remind the editors on Monday to get it squared away ASAP.

12. ICW

ICW Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think 2012 will be a tremendous year for Star Trek novels! Can't wait.

13. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't normally do this but I kinda squealed with excitement. Gonna get a lot of usage outta my kindle in '12.

14. Reanok

Reanok Commodore Commodore

:techman:After reading the updated info about having Ben Sisko having to deal with some of the majorly bad choices he made and having to work with picard and Captain Ro and a new Menace coming from the Gamma Quadrant through the Wormhole . I'm looking forward to getting this novel and Micheal Martin's books next year.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  15. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Publication/release order doesn't really matter. RBoE was published as the third Typhon Pact novel, but it is actually the first TP novel in that it occurs before the others.

I don't really know what to make of DRG's statements, though, since the blurbs for PoN and RtD seem to make specific reference only to things that are covered in RBoE and ZSG, and do so in a way that makes it seem as if RtD takes place as a sequel to RBoE and PoN takes place as a prequel to ZSG.

16. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The blurbs make it clear that Plagues of night is the first book and Raise the dawn, the second (its blurb making specific reference to the failed efforts of the federation and the romulan leaders to establish detente, to the failed plan to acquire slipstream by the pact from Plagues of night).

Also - DRG himself said it, the release order does matter for duologies/triogies, especially when they're written by the same author, etc.

About the disastrous events at Bajor - it's something ulterior to RBoE, which will make Sisko question his decision to leave Bajor.

Also about this Bajor catastrophe - I wonder how many billions will die this time?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  17. Sci

Sci Admiral Admiral

The difference is that the first four Typhon Pact novels weren't telling a single story; they were less like Gateways or New Earth and more like Section 31 or Lost Era. DRGIII has made it clear that these books of his are a duology that tell a single story in the same way that the Destiny trilogy told a single story.

18. wahwahkits

wahwahkits Commander Red Shirt

England, somewhere between Liverpool and Chester
    After reading the synopses i'm totally underwhelmed. They just sound boring to me. Since the Destiny trilogy I think Trek lit has been on a downward spiral.
    I really hope that the new Typhon Pact novels are better than the last lot...

19. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I found the synopsis for the "voyager' novel to be the most promising - despite it being so dry.

As for the other 3 books - Titan and 2xDRG - they continue the dystopian trend in recent trek lit - cold war, 'disastrous events' at Bajor, Andor joining the typhon pact (which was explicitly mentioned in the first blurb for the titan book - merely implied in the current one) causing the pressure to remove all andorians from starfleet, a new (and at the same time old) enemy causing mayhem in the galaxy (again, expressly mentioned in the first titan blurb, only alluded to in the current one), etc.
    Meh.:wtf:

20. Sci

Sci Admiral Admiral

You keep abusing that word.

Nothing in those descriptions is dystopian.

Pardon me, but was TOS dystopian because of its depiction of a Federation/Klingon cold war? Was mid-to-late TNG dystopian for depicting a Federation/Romulan cold war? Was DS9 dystopian for depicting a Federation/Dominion cold war from seasons three to five?

Cold wars are nothing new to Star Trek. The Federation has been in a state of frozen hostilities with aggressive foreign cultures throughout the franchise's history.

Could mean any damn thing, especially in a blurb whose job it is to attract readers by promising excitement.

Which, if anything, is a positive portent. The Andorians aren't bad guys. It may be bad for the Federation that they left, but there's a good chance that Andorian membership in the Typhon Pact will help moderate it by balancing against the aggressive factions in the Pact.

(Besides, blurbs are often so full of shit that I'm skeptical that that's even what happens. We'll know for sure when we pick up the book.)

You mean like in "The Drumhead?" God, that TNG was so dystopian. Gene Roddenberry would never have approved.

Oh, big fucking deal. That line could mean any damn thing, and it's no more evidence of dystopianism than similar blurbs for the Gateways crossover were. The Starships Enterprise and her sister ships have been fighting sinister enemies bent on causing galactic mayhem literally since "Where No Man Has Gone Before" -- and that's assuming, again, that that blurb isn't an exaggeration of some sort.