Neelixes Strongest episode

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by WesleysDisciple, Mar 31, 2013.

1. WesleysDisciple

WesleysDisciple Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Which episode does neelix seem strongest.

I do not mean, "Which episode best exemplifies the NEelix we wound up getting" (well ist that too if you want, but not what im asking) but which episode do you feel we feel the neelix that its likely the design crew intended in the first place.

I'd say "Mortal Coil" Neelix seeking respite from his fear of death and saying "Then whats the meaning of life" "Their isnt any" His demonic sister says with a vile grin.

any other guesses.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

He was great in Meld.

The way his eyes just popped!

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Another vote for "Mortal Coil", which let Ethan Phillips show he could be more than the funny man. I wish they had toned Neelix down and given him more dramatic scenes.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

In Elogium we saw how utterly unprepared he was for an adult relationship. Full of jealousy that his girlfriend might want someone else's companionship and then freaking out when she makes it very clear she wants him. Fucked it right up.

And because of that embarrassment it's all uphill from there. It was the last hurrah of whatever rogueish itinerant personality they envisaged for the original character. Every thing else he does in on the upside of the learning curve.

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Supposedly Neelix was intended to be the roguish scoundrel type character like Quark was over on DS9. Though intentions didn't factor out into what we got.

Really Neelix was just a jerk who had to force himself upon every situation regardless of how useless or unwanted he is. He has to be the center of attention and has severe jealousy issues. You can't even use a replicator ration or cook something yourself without him getting territorial. To say nothing of his blundering nature as morale officer and ambassador.

No doubt he meant well under it all, but he's just like the annoying house guest who won't go away and just burrows his way into the situation. He genuinely did serve as a paternal figure to Naomi after all. That was probably his most successful role and his scenes in that regard were annoying only because of the child aspect of it more than Neelix's regularly douchebaggery.

For a specific episode of his that I liked... well I'd have to say Fair Trade tops my list. Even in this one he really show how despicable he can be. Sure he lied and stole from his comrades, dealt drugs and was an accessory to murder, but it was all well intentioned. It all just started as him turning a blind eye to a petty crime as a favor to an old friend he owed a lot, and then just spiraled more and more deep. At least then he did the right thing in the end. Still... that's the only episode where I can say I really felt for him, and even then it was just... his own stupidity that got him into it.

Honestly, he demonstrated from Day 1 he was completely untrustworthy. In Caretaker he lies to Voyager's crew about their people being in a Kazon encampment just so he can rescue his girlfriend. Said lie ends up with them getting captured and Neelix escalating the situation by taking their leader hostage and expecting Janeway to get him out of it. Then when Kes falls all over herself to help them in gratitude, which is only proper, he has the audacity to complain saying they don't owe Voyager anything. When all he had to do was tell the truth and Janeway probably would've helped anyways. At least then she'd know she was going into a hostile situation without the Talaxian draft dodger making things worse. How Janeway ever trusted Neelix after that it beyond me. Must be his idolizing of her.

6. teacake

Kind of like Tom Paris. And that Maquis guy, whathisname.

7. R. Star

Well Tom Paris did the best of the three. Paris would actively disobey orders now and again. Stealing the Delta Flyer to launch a terrorist attack against a neutral race should qualify.

8. teacake

Yes that was very naughty.

9. Melakon

It's amazing that Neelix never pissed off Lon Suder.

10. R. Star

Disappointing more like. ;)

11. teacake

I can see Suder adding fava beans to the stuffing and sticking a Kaferian apple into Neelix's mouth.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're not thinking about the big picture.

Suder wasn't consistently violent, he was ERRATICALLY violent. There's no guarantee that Neelix would have set him off and considering his issues with authority, Lon may have Loved how Neelix was constantly wheezing Tuvok.

13. R. Star

No wonder Janeway kept him around, or tried to. You never can tell when a serial killer will come in handy.

14. Melakon

It's somewhat telling though, that Tuvok chose Neelix for that holodeck exercise. He must have really hated the guy.

15. R. Star

Yeah, it was kinda funny out of all the things Tuvok could've used to incite a homicidal rage... a neo-nazi Romulan destroying his homeworld... the Borg assimilating everyone he cares about.... he chose Neelix's daily pestering. :p

16. teacake

But it was more than pestering, it was a racial attack. You're too Vulcan Mr. Vulcan, it upsets me that you're so Vulcan so can you be less Vulcan for me because I'm going to interrupt you and disturb you until you stop being so Vulcanny Vulcan because being a Vulcanny Vulcan is INFERIOR to what what I think you should be.

17. R. Star

Had Tuvok really killed Neelix and not just on the holodeck, I could see Janeway making HIM the morale officer?

"You're crying because you're homesick? Go make an appointment with Mr Tuvok so he can flail the tears out of you."

18. teacake

Suddenly everybody's problems go away!

I bet it was the same with Deanna.

19. Melakon

Troi's greatest moment (from "Man of the People")

20. R. Star

Or when Data's asking Troi about these angry emotions he's feeling and Troi encourages him to explore these emotions and see where they lead him. He then joins his evil brother and some Borg hacks in a plot to destroy the Federation. Good call there!