NCAA/NFL Pick'ems

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Commander Vaughn, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Commander Vaughn

Commander Vaughn Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, sorry if I didn't make it more clear that we were going based on the spread. I like using it, since it adds a degree of depth you just don't get when picking straight winners. Since we all know Wisconsin will beat Akron, now we have to decide if Wisconsin will beat them by more than X points.

2. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Okay, now that I know that, it's cool. Thanks for the clarification. My only question is when do the spreads get hidden? I do not recall seeing any listed when I picked. Apparently they turn those off but allow you to pick a game after a certain point.

3. Commander Vaughn

Typically, the spreads are set on Monday, and are adjusted up or down until finalized on Thursday or so. So when you look at the pick'ems right now, there is no spread. But come tomorrow, there should be one and you can get a feel for how many points a team needs to win by.

4. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

gonna make it more complicated for me. I'm in 2 nfl survivor leagues, and apparently this one is with the spread, and that one is not. Was hoping I could use the same picks in both...

5. DaleC76

DaleC76 Captain Captain

Darn. I don't think it took my picks for this week. I must not have hit the right submit button or something.

6. Neroon

:lol: - I did far worse this week than last, and yet ... I actually improved in the rankings. :lol:

7. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not bad... of the games that are going so far, I have either won or am winning all but one. I'll take that. :)

8. Neroon

I'm still trying to get a handle on picking with the spread as a factor

9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I missed out on one of the NCAA (still in the lead though) spreads by 1 point. Gah...

10. Commander Vaughn

I'm right where I want to be, only 3 picks back of the lead, and went against my gut on a couple picks (Cincy and Central Michigan), but still had a decent showing. Thats pretty much been my way of doing things in the pick'ems, turning in decent weeks every week. I don't think I won a single week last year, but managed to win the league anyway.

All about consistency, not flashy numbers in a few weeks.

11. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Currently tied for first... Nice! I think I like this game (a lot more than fantasy! :lol:)

12. tomalak301

tomalak301 Admiral Premium Member

It's always hard to pick week 1. It always seems to be more of a crapshoot than anything else. I hope to do really well in the following weeks though. ;)

13. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, week 1 is kind of a crapshoot, especially on the college side. The NFL should be easier, but I pretty much sucked this week. I don't mind floundering in week 1 on the Pick'em boards, but I lost one of my two teams on my town's Loser Board (I took Chicago): That really hurt. Oh well, at least I made it past week 1 on the Survivor Board this year- I think was was out right off the bat last year.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

9/16, not bad. Should have been 10/16, as I would have picked the Giants over the Redskins, but I forgot they were playing on Thursday (which led to me getting eliminated from Survivor). :p

15. 1001001

1001001 I Like the Beats and the Shouting Moderator

11/16. Not too bad.

If I hadn't slipped into a delusional state, thinking the Rams might actually be decent this year, I would have had 12.

:scream:

16. Starbreaker

9/16... yuck. I did pick the Bears though! :D

17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Admiral Premium Member

Geese, given the comments here. 8/16 is terrible. At least it was only week one.

18. Neroon

Ditto with me. I doubt I'd have done any better even without using the point spread.

19. Starbreaker

I missed the spread of the Kansas South Florida game by .5 points?? There's no such thing! :mad: :p

20. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'm slowly working my way to the bottom of the NCAA pick'em board. Next week I'm going to make my picks and then put in the opposite. At least I had a decent showing in the Pro pick'em this week.