NBC: Jimmy Fallon to replace Jay Leno in 2014

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Lyon_Wonder, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Ferguson has been very up-front and public about not wanting anything to do with The Late Show, and honestly I'm thankful for that; moving to 11:35 would destroy his program, which is much more akin to Pee-wee's Playhouse than a traditional late-night talk show. A while back, there was some talk of CBS desperately hoping that Jon Stewart would be interested, but he seems content at Comedy Central.

Conan just re-upped with TBS through 2015, so he isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

If anything, my money is on CBS throwing everyone a curveball and giving The Late Show to Ellen DeGeneres.

2. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While Dave brings up retirement here and there and now with Conan re-upping through 2015, I wonder if that's about the time Dave will throw in the towel, in which CBS would then consider Conan for the job. Though I have trouble visualizing Conan moving back to New York and I wonder if CBS would even be interested in having him on the network. He doesn't seem relevant anymore.

I love that Craig wants to stay where he is. 12.30 is perfect for the kind of show he does. In a thread some time ago, someone commented that Craig's show now is a lot like Letterman's old Late Night.

3. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't know that he wanted to stay there. Really like his (Craig Ferguson's) show better than Dave's or Jay's. Both of them haven't been as funny as they used to be. Only watch Jay's for the monologue and for Headlines (going to miss those :lol:). Craig reminds me of Johnny Carson somewhat. Missed that kind of show for awhile now :).

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Craig Ferguson wants to stay where he is because no one bugs him and he can do what he wants.

Remember that this Leno mess started out as rumours because he was bashing the network a lot and NBC didn't like it.

Craig does nothing but bashing CBS and no one cares. :lol:

5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

That's changed a little bit. In return for getting the new studio as part of his contract extension, Worldwide Pants ceded some production control and ownership of The Late Show and The Late Late Show to CBS, which is why Craig has been having more canned interviews with guests shilling their new movie / TV show lately.

6. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fallon is unwatchable. At this rate if NBC is still alive in a couple of years they'll just have to cancel their whole talk show block and let the affiliates run infomercials a couple of hours early.

7. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Justin Timberlake is still young, and he's just joined the Five-Timers Club. The trouble is that leaves him 11 episodes behind Alec Baldwin, so he has some catching up to do yet. The only ones within reach of Baldwin right now are Steve Martin (15) and John Goodman (12).

8. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I sure haven't seen any indications that this is true. Jay seems as reluctant to leave now as he was a few years ago. His public comments, I believe, are designed to cover his true feelings. Jay always seems to want to be liked while fighting like a mad dog to behind the scenes, to hold onto what he perceives as 'his".

9. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Because with Craig, CBS doesn't percieve him as a threat.

Leno has been on for 20 years hosting the oldest late night show of the bunch. He also has a bigger name recognition along with his "He has cars" shtick

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Start watching Craig Ferguson. He's different.

And still, his interviews are so much better.

11. bigdaddy

I think part of that is also so Craig gets more time off. You tape several interviews in advance you get Thursdays and Fridays off. It's not like they talk about their show for 10 minutes, Craig still goes off in his own world in interviews.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Sometimes the guest is lucky to get the plug in at all. Craig loves tangents.

13. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I have watched Craig, and yet I still prefer Conan's brand of comedy. Plus, I'm not in college anymore. I find it difficult to stay up until midnight just to watch a daily talk show, when I have to be at work at 7am. With Conan on TBS, I could at least watch it at 8pm on the West Coast.

14. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah well then don't start watching Craig Ferguson.

15. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

It was bound to eventually happen, and I'm not so surprised. I just find it ironic in terms of timing as my Dad and I just got back (literally as of last night) from a trip to California where we attentended a taping. I guess those mugs are now collectibles.

What puzzles me is the choice of Fallon. I thought his ratings weren't necessarily good, at least when he started and his format is different. But then maybe different is what NBC needs now. They did toy with different formats, including a variety show format, before they settled on the current one we know of now.

16. bigdaddy

NBC wants young viewers, Fallon is better in young viewers.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I work from 7am to 4 pm and watch Craig after I get home from work. How? I DVR it each night. Pretty much every show I watch is either DVRed or On Demand.

18. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

I'll bet that they're nowhere near Buck Henry's or Christopher Walken's records.

19. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The best way to watch Conan IMO is to subscribe Team Coco on YouTube. Though you probably want a good ad blocker. I just click on the clips that look interesting as they pop up in my subscription feed. Don't have to wade through the crap, never miss any Triumph or Clueless Gamer. Win/win.

20. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

^The only problem is, you have to be a U.S. citizen to see it, and live in the USA (although Canadians without cable can see Conan on CTV.)