NBC: Jimmy Fallon to replace Jay Leno in 2014

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Lyon_Wonder, Mar 21, 2013.

1. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

True, but there's really no reason to keep the old desk/couch/skyline picture format. A comedy/interview show could be completely different.

2. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But why mess with something that, from a commerical standpoint, works? Hell, but for the fake skyline, even Stewart and Colbert are basically the same format.

3. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Because change is fun. This is an outmoded, spectacularly stagnant and conservative format, anything else would be a breath of fresh air.

4. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Disagree. I think Seth Myers would be great as a talk show host. He is personable, smart, and damn witty. His Week-End Update segments on SNL have been the best and most consistent (other than the Tina Fey/Amy Poehler era). I really hope this happens.

5. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why would Conan even want to go back to NBC after the way he was treated? For that matter, why would NBC want Conan back after what happened? It would take a mighty powerful spin machine to undue that disaster. Leno and Letterman are past their prime, although I don't think Leno ever had a prime. I'll occasionally watch Conan or Jimmy Kimel, and if I'm up late enough I'll watch Craig Ferguson (who is the best, IMO). I doubt whoever takes over the Tonight show will interest me enough to regularly watch.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Seth Meyers is much much better than Jimmy Fallon

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they go with Seth Meyers will they try to get Stefan as his sidekick?

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Ha! I live for the Stefan appearances!

9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love Jimmy. It's too late for Conan to come back, he's already made his home on TBS, and I hope it works out well for him. He's my favorite late night host. Jimmy Fallon is pretty funny, though. He's a nice guy, young enough to appeal to the pop/media generation, and he's relatable. Also, he's rather adorable.

Now, Craig Ferguson is a really funny guy, but I think moving him to something like the Tonight Show would destroy what he has, just like I believe it damaged Conan to some degree. Like Conan, Craig Ferguson is at his best when he's playing it to the hilt.

As for Jay, while I still dislike what he did and how he did it, I hold no ill will towards him. Both he and David Letterman will be put out to pasture soon enough, so I figure if you like them, enjoy them while they're here.

I think Jimmy will be a fine replacement. I just hope The Roots make the move with him, because those guys are awesome.

10. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

More evidence that Lorn Michaels is taking over the late night blocks and driving out Leno?

I read somewhere that sources close to the Fallon camp said that while he gave nothing firm on the news about the change of hosts, he said that if it does happen he wants to bring on Conan as a guest.

11. Amaris

Jimmy Fallon is forever classy.

12. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As a humble unwashed viewer, in my opinion Drew Carey could do Johnny's show justice. He's really affable and that seems to be what that audience responds to, not the "inside" humor Dave helped usher in.

Not talking about edginess but sheer likability, and Drew's got that over all those wiseguys.

Myers is the best male SNL Weekend Update anchor since McDonald & Miller. Be interesting to see what he could do in another venue.

I know, I know, now it's all about The Whole Packageā„¢.

13. Amaris

Eh, Drew's at home on The Price Is Right, and I don't see him going anywhere. It's a sweet gig. Plus, as much as I like Drew, his comedy isn't really that great. He can be funny sometimes, but to me it's much more hit and miss. He's not a great stand-up or improv guy, and that's what you need to hold the reins of the Tonight Show.

14. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

I was under the impression Craig Ferguson taking over the Late Show once Letterman retires was unofficially a done deal. I love Ferguson but I'm afraid that might not end well given CBS's demographic. Same goes for Conan potentially taking over for Letterman.

15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not a fan of his show, but he's keeping his mouth shut about the whole thing, and I enjoy that. I think it would be great if his first tonight show has Conan come out and do the first few jokes of the monolog.

Drew Carey was going to host The Late Late Show, but Craig Ferguson was selected instead, and I'm very glad. I can't see Drew doing a good job at the desk long term. If you look around the internet you can see the five test shows they did.

16. Amaris

I'll have to check those out. Anyhoo, I agree. I think Jimmy stayed out more several reasons. Firstly, he was the new kid on the block, and you don't want to ruffle the feathers at the top when you've just showed up on the farm. Secondly, I think Jimmy sympathized with Conan. It's just a gut feeling, but Jimmy strikes me as someone who believes in fair play.

17. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really?

Jimmy Fallon Jokes About Tonight Show Rumors On Late Night.

I don't see these jokes as particularly mean spirited or inappropriate but he's obviously talking about the situation.

18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

He's made a few jokes, but I watched the other day and his guests even wanted to talk about it and he's like "I'm not saying anything".

19. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Conan was the same way on the first few weeks of his TBS show. Guests kept bringing up the NBC thing, and he'd brush it off. It seemed like he wanted to put the whole situation behind him, and get on with doing the show he wanted to do.

20. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral