My Trek Through Enterprise

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Spock/Uhura Fan, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Watched the first 5 episodes and am now used to the theme. No longer bugs me! :)

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm one of the few that apparently never minded the Enterprise theme. The show had enough going against it without focusing on the minutiae. ;)

3. apollo1984

apollo1984 Commander Red Shirt

I for one always thought the theme suited the show since is basically th whole how was about humans aspring to be the best they can and reaching for their goals.

4. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Yeah, you're right. I'm going to get back to it and try to watch that episode again. It helps me to know that when there was a vote here a while back that S1 of TNG won the title of worst trek season ever. So far, I won't disagree, but at least I know it gets better. Thanks.

As do I. I think she's great.

Cool. I hope you enjoy yourself. Overall, I don't think it is bad like some people say, but it does have its issues. My main problem was the captain, but I look forward to seeing what you think of him and the rest of the crew. :)

5. Captain Kathryn

I will not argue with that! The lyrics fit perfectly.

It's just a feeling of general surprise when you hear it the first few times I suppose (keep in mind though that I watched VOY and DS9 straight through all 14 seasons in a row so I got used to the orchestral themes).

Now I've grown to like the ENT theme and it only took a few episodes. :) It did not take very long to get used to it.

I REALLY like the fact that they used 20th century "space feat" imagery and iconic photos and videos in the intro. That whole intro makes it feel as though it is within our grasp...like the advancements the crew makes on the show are really not too too far away from us.

I watched a few more episodes today. I really like how much more "close to home" it feels as opposed to the shows set in the 24th century. It did make me feel rather sad, however...a feeling that I was born a bit too early...because I really do think that one day interstellar travel will be possible, but obviously not in my lifetime.

One criticism I have is the lack of structure and protocol they seem to have at this stage in Starfleet development, which it is clear that the Vulcans have been trying to get them to create. And although I enjoy the tension between T'Pol and the rest of the crew...some crew members (namely Trip) do act pretty ignorant towards Vulcans in general which I find odd considering the fact that their whole mission is about finding new worlds and cultures. I would think they would try to be more tolerant.

I made a mini pro/con list to simplify my thoughts on the show so far.

Pros:
    -They actually address inter-species translation issues! Although at times inconsistent.
    -Crew is pretty realistic....they are not perfect and don't pretend to be.
    -They show a somewhat realistic possibility of the future in terms of demonstrating the interaction between two species working together. One day when (not if!) humans come into contact with a more advanced species capable of space travel, I hope they are as helpful as the Vulcans are on Star Trek...for example, without T'Pol's knowledge they would have been in some deep trouble several times. The animosity humans feel towards Vulcans and vice versa is also a probable outcome if we ever do become involved with an alien race that has more experience and logic, in the case of Vulcans.
    -This show made me feel excited again for what future prospects might hold for space travel because the time and setting is not as far into the future as other Trek.
    - As always (except maybe TNG) the doctor is great. Dr. Phlox might make spot 2 or 3 on my fave Trek Docs list. :D Obviously the EMH takes my number 1 spot. :lol: Dr. Phlox is one weird dude...I'm curious about his character.

Cons:
    -Lack of protocol and structure (although this is clearly intentional to show the evolution of Starfleet)
    -Archer is cool....I like him, but he seems to lack a great deal of scientific knowledge compared to other captains. I understand his father was involved with the invention of their warp drive and so he was made captain...but is that what an organization of that magnitude would really do? I would think they would prefer to pick the most competent person and not the most adventurous one or because of nepotism.
    -The bigotry Trip evokes on T'Pol. Reminds me of how the U.S. acted (and still acts) towards other cultures. However, I do realize that all of the ignorance between the species demonstrates the comparison between how different Earth cultures acted towards each other before a global economy and showing that interacting with other species may not be so different.
    -Have to say it....theme doesn't match other Trek! But I like it now anyway.

Overall I really am enjoying it though. I am curious as to how T'Pol's relationship with the crew will evolve.

6. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am enjoying your impressions of the show; keep them coming!

7. R. Star

I wonder if you'll still like Phlox after watching a certain 1st season episode. Still looking forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions of the series!

8. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Yeah, that's one of the problems I had with him too. I think they address some of this later on in an episode so it's not so bad, but he's got a lot of issues for a Starfleet captain, I'll tell you that. Just keep watching. ;)

Again, yes. Both he and Archer don't seem to treat her very well, do they? I think you'll like how she develops along with the rest of the crew. At least I did, but then, I like Vulcans. ;)

9. Captain Kathryn

Me too. :vulcan::vulcan:

10. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

AyeAye!!
    [​IMG]

11. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^ Very nice!! :bolian:

12. R. Star

Her boobs look bigger than her head... proportion people. ;)