My Official "The Ending Sucked" Thread

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by The Master of Tarquin Hill, Mar 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Master of Tarquin Hill

The Master of Tarquin Hill Commodore Commodore

I agree about the cheese. Seeing RDM standing in front of "the angels" made we want to hurl. Hitchcock he is not.

2. JNG

JNG Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command

The ending was "God did it."

A whole series of creative weak points, where characters were driven by seemingly magical visions and the plot driven by seemingly magical coincidences and prophecies, was disguised by excellent acting and production...but more than that, buoyed along by the fact that it was supposed to be sci-fi, that it had a hard military edge to it, that we felt these deeply flawed people could be real and thus, somehow, everything would make some sort of sense.

But actually, "God did it" was the answer to everything. Kara back from the dead? God did it. New Raptor? God built a new Raptor. Head Six? Duh, that was just God sending an angel to bang Baltar in "33." All that shit where the characters did things they'd never have done otherwise because of visions or other magical BS, and we swallowed it because we thought it would somehow mean something? Naah, it was just God directing events.

Okay, so it's a cute reference to Mitochondrial Eve...not that being half-Cylon evidently meant jack. Humanity already lived on another planet--a second friggin Earth in an utterly cheap sci-fi fakeout--so the whole series was God jacking off the Cylons and Colonials so there could be an extra 38,000 people or so there being hunter-gatherers? Quite a plan, that God.

OH AND GOD MIGHT BE A ROBOT ALSO LOL GET IT

I really do feel let down. Part of me wants to type some rage-filled Internet-style sick joke about the real God giving Ron Moore AIDS and how it'd just be returning the favor, but I don't want to cheapen my feelings of being let down by doing so. I feel genuinely disappointed. He had fucking angels walking around on modern-day streets looking at pictures of ASIMO in some attempt to go on pretending this was sci-fi. This was fucking Highway to Heaven.

I applaud the work done on this series by the cast and crew in service of an Emperor who had no clothes.

3. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Now I *LIKE* that interpretation! :techman:

I just wish I thought it was the one RDM had intended...

4. IvosevicJ

IvosevicJ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did anyone see symbolism in Adama leaving? The survivors staying in Africa are in line with our scientific beliefs, but Adam(a) going out on his own in the wilderness reminds me of the Book of Genesis. A way to reconcile religion and science.

By the way, why the frak is Starbuck the harbinger of the apocalypse?

5. The Master of Tarquin Hill

Excellent post.

Thank You

6. The Master of Tarquin Hill

I have the feeling that the whole harbinger thing, and RDM's inability to resolve it, is the impetus behind RDM's declaration that it's the characters, not the plot. IOW, he abandoned that idea.

7. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't say it sucks, but it wasn't what it could have been.

Make mention of how their technology isn't going to last them very long, that within a few generations they'll be throwing spears next to the natives, but to give up everything on a whim of "maybe this will work!" was just too much. The 12 endings made me start wondering when it would end too. The last 25 minutes or so was just this side of "meh."

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow. Did you completely miss the sense of mystery and wonder that permeated this show from the beginning? I seriously doubt we're meant to take everything as freakin LITERALLY as you describe it. There's a reason this show was filmed and written in such a poetic and artful way, after all. And why it always focused more on the characters over the plot and mythology. Because that's what the show was really about.

Hell, I may be a hardcore athiest and analytical thinker in real life, but I still know how to put that aside and embrace the magic of a fictional universe now and again.

9. Sci

Sci Admiral Admiral

No, it very obviously wasn't. There was no message. It was a television show, not a college thesis. :rolleyes:

Battlestar Galactica was a challenge, not a message. It's from the miniseries: It's not enough that we survive; we have to be worthy of surviving.

After everything they did, after everything they'd been through, they tried, they really tried, to end the war with the Cylons peacefully... and it failed because of their inner vengeance and bloodlust, with the Cylon civilization seemingly destroyed.

So they decided to end the whole thing. Stop the never-ending cycle of war and violence that their cultures had been caught up in not because of science but because of their own inner weaknesses. Lee expressed it pretty well: It's not that science was bad, it's that they weren't good enough of people to handle the moral responsibilities that scientific achievement gave them. The fault lies not in our science but in our stars.

Terminating technological civilization and dissolving their corrupt and broken society was a means to an end, not an end in and of itself. The end being, of course, to take the best in them, such as language (representing knowledge) and infuse it into a culture that was more moral than their own. To start over.

The ending is not about saying technology is bad. The ending is about challenging us to ask whether we're good enough for the world we live in. Hell, it's evening questioning of God -- he seems to be planning these things, manipulating events, and trying to provoke the worst in sentient entities. "He doesn't like being called that name." Is he God or the Devil? Are HeadSix and HeadBaltar angels or demons?

And by extension, are we good or bad?

It's a question, not a message.

10. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I admit that I did think of the book of Genesis, and I completely understood Adama's need to be alone for awhile and to say goodbye to Laura, but a far more mundane, character driven question keeps popping up in my head about old Bill, this character we've known for four years: They don't have any cell phones with them. There aren't any mailboxes. Bill just left. Yes, Bill loved Laura, but he didn't only love Laura. I don't know about anybody else, but the last four years worth of episodes sort of gave me the idea that Bill loved Lee and Saul, too. That he loved them a lot. He never wanted to see them again? Lee didn't want to see him? Saul and Ellen just went off wherever with no means of contact? I'm not saying they'd all live together, but....Bill wouldn't want to send his son a card? :confused: Mr. "if it were you, we'd never leave"?

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I think they might have given that all up a little too SOON, but the basic idea I have no problem with. After all the running and fighting, I'm sure most of them were like "fuck it, we're going to stay here no matter what." And after being stuck on metal ships for so long, I can see how they'd be pretty sick of technology too.

Besides, just because they weren't going to built huge, gleaming cities doesn't mean they were giving up ALL technology, or that they couldn't still live decent lives in the country. It's not like they were going to start living like cavemen or anything. lol

12. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

Apocalypse can mean rebirth as well. So it makes perfect sense actually.

13. billcosby

billcosby Commodore Commodore

Oh, I like that.

Shoot, I've seen plenty worse finales than this one, I thought this was pretty good, acutally.

14. msbae

msbae Commodore

That was my thought as well. Kara may have just been a means towards an end in this mysterious plan God had, something we aren't meant to know.

15. Tyson

Tyson Fleet Captain

I don't like the "god did it" explaination because it's such a cliche in fiction and in real life; it's a non explaination for questions big and small. I enjoyed the finale, but that reveal does sort of cheapen the experience of the show for me, knowing that all the characters were just pawns in some nonsensical, internally inconsistent and logically impossible superbeing's asshole plans.

16. AlanC9

AlanC9 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I gotta point out that to the extent BSG ended up being Highway to Heaven, it always was.

HeadSix showed up showed up midway through the Mini, right? Exactly what did you think she was?

17. EstoniaKat

EstoniaKat Lieutenant Red Shirt

I don't know about that. I think the cycle, which has been repeating itself every few thousand years, IS broken. It has already missed dozens of fore-ordained iterations with the leap of 100,000 years. Heck, Earth I and the Colonies are probably very habitable at this point.

But the ending message was we have a choice now.

18. Klaitu

Klaitu Commodore Commodore

I think people are assuming some things that aren't neccessarily true. We don't know that internal Six and Baltar are "angels" or that they were sent by "god". All we know is that Baltar thinks they are. What they actually are is never explained. Same thing with Starbuck. Sent by got? Never even alluded to. She doesn't seem to work in the same way that internal Six and Baltar do, though. I liked the ending a lot, but I think that parts of it fell a little bit short. Like the opera house thing. The Internals are claiming that Six and Baltar have a destiny, and it turns out that destiny is... to pick up Hera and carry her to CIC? I thought that was a weak point. It smacks of coming up with a solution after the fact.

19. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

20. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

EXILE + ATTON = GUUUUUUSH!!!! (pic by aimo)
    I just liked how the whole build up was to how important Hera will be to humanity and in the end... did it really matter? I suppose you could argue that it lead to the destruction of the "evil" Cylons but whoopdeedoo.

I totally agree that the whole "God did it" answer was a pretty cheap way to end the show. It's basically a way to not answer any questions because they couldn't figure out an actual in universe plot reason for anything to happen. It's almost as silly as a certain wacky plot point that happened on Lost this season.

Oh well, at least it's finally over. Whew. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.