My Official "The Ending Sucked" Thread

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by The Master of Tarquin Hill, Mar 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Master of Tarquin Hill

The Master of Tarquin Hill Commodore Commodore

I voted Below Avg for the ending and I felt that I was being kind.

To abandon technology and and embrace hunter-gather/agrarian living...that is what I waited for?

Kiss My Ass.

A WMD devastated earth was more interesting than this "back to the land" bullshit.

I am not happy.

2. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

3. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I am very happy. Sorry, mate, no despair here.

4. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

If you don't like then don't watch!!!

Oh...wait.

5. USS Gettysburg

USS Gettysburg Captain Captain

So you hate it because you don't like what the last human survivors decide to do? You would have been happy if they had made cities? That's your complaint? You know the ending wasn't that one decision. Kind of a small part in the whole "this has all happened before and will happen again" stuff.

6. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't hate the show and I'm glad I watched - but yeah, I'm pretty seriously let down that they whole point was a very simplistc and very very cliche' message that "technology is teh evil and God is watching us!!!"

It isn't original and it's been done many times before!

7. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Clearly not the message of the show.

8. bryce

Plus, after all they have been through - they just "took the risk" that they Centurions wouldn't come back someday and whipe them out!?

How was that "worth the risk!?"

I'm not even saying that it wasn't the right decision - genocide of the Centurions or enslaving them wouldn't have been better IMHO - I just don't see the Colonials thinking it was "worth the risk" - again.

9. USS Gettysburg

Yes, because they had the guns and the ship to... destroy... the centurions. Damn, Galactica's back was broken. OK, Centurions, be free!

10. The Master of Tarquin Hill

Or, it clearly IS the message of the last episode.

11. bryce

No they didn't & I'm not suggestiong that would have been the right decision - but just letting the Centurions take off the last FTL capable, nuclear *armed* ship like it was no big deal...that seemed kinda out of character to me...

What if the Centurions decided to come back next *week* and just nuke the planet and be rid of all the humans/human-form cylons - just to be on the safe side!?

How could they stop them?

12. USS Gettysburg

^ Yea, I am saying what else could they do? They couldn't win against the centurions. So letting the free willed centurions go free was basically paying lip service to the fact that they couldn't stop them from leaving. Their faith in the centurions not coming back to kill them (which if the circle repeats itself could still happen) was about all they could have.

13. bryce

I think this week's little animation at the end - "You damn hippies!" - kinda acnowledges that the producers were expecting the episode could be interpreted that way...to be a neo-Luddite "back to nature" polemic...

14. bryce

They could have kept their weapons & space-travel capacity...just in case...

15. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Shrug, I liked it, a lot. The majority of people liked it. nuBSG was a very good show, thank you Ron Moore for providing us the entertainment.

16. The Master of Tarquin Hill

Yeah, the Easy Rider reference was blatant to someone as old as me. And it didn't make me happy in any way.

17. USS Gettysburg

I think that your summary of the message misses some big chunks. They abandoned technology not because it was bad, but because they naively believed that abandoning it would break the cycle. That didn't work, wiping the slate clean didn't stop humans from repeating the sins of humans (whatever angel Baltar said they were). I think the real message is the nuances of "All this has happened before, and will happen again." Technology is just one of the tools used to repeat the cycle, not the evil that drives it.

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

I fucking loved it.

19. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

seconded

some people need to sit back and enjoy it for what it is, entertainment, i was highly entertained

20. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't say it totally sucked, but emotionally the ending was unsatisfying in many ways. It should have ended with Bill looking out at the plateau by Laura's grave. The 150,000 years later bit was cheesy, cheesy, cheesy with more cheese please. I already knew that their plan to stop the destructive cycle of time by giving up their tech was pretty damn naive. Didn't need the coda to tell me. Eventually technology is always recreated. What's to keep humans and cylons from repeating their mistakes? Special, magical, wonderful Hera? More character moments were needed and less action.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.