My first voyage with Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Qutluch, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not quite Tywin Lannister sending the king of Westeros to bed without his supper, but Janeway sending Chakotay to his room was pretty awesome.

I really like this episode too--like "Tuvix," there's no easy answer here. I like that Janeway's principles have consequences, and that it's not just an episode with an anvilicious Aesop like, "hatred is bad."

2. Qutluch

Qutluch Commander Red Shirt

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

4. Qutluch

If Chakotay decided to fight back we may have seen Tywin Lannister on the privy.

5. Shatnertage

Went ahead and watched it, huh?

I love the look on Janeway's face! Even Chakotay looks engaged. Everyone did a great job in that one. My favorite 5 minutes of Trek.

6. Qutluch

Just the teaser. Couldn't resist. I have been humming the opera all night now. I cannot wait to watch that 5 minutes again!

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy is a great, hilarious episode. It... gets better. ;)

8. Qutluch

Survival instinct

Seven runs into more ex drones, unfortunately she is responsible for another neural link between the three drones from a time when they were stranded on an inland. The episode kind of revisits Seven's past, and the role she played with the other three. In the end, seven authorizes the doctor to separate their neural link even though they will die within a month.

This was an okay episode. We learn a little about Seven, and Naoimi is as cute as ever. I did like the part where Tuvok seemed disgruntled with the amount of people on the ship.

9. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved it when Naomi is trying to lead Seven through the crowded hallway, and Seven simply raises her voice to say "STAND ASIDE!". Its like Charleton Heston in "The 10 Commandments" all over again. ;)

10. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

"Survival Instinct" is one of my favorite episodes.

I particularly love the scene between Seven and Chakotay--one of Beltran's best in the entire series--where he talks her through "survival vs living." Rather than cram a personal vision of what it means to be human down Seven's throat (as Janeway and the Doctor have a tendency to do), or mock her (as Paris sometimes does) or simply get pissed off at her (Torres), he talks her through the problem, and lets her come to her own decision.

Too bad we didn't see more of that interaction...

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I find the end where they all separate and Marika chooses to die aboard Voyager because she's starfleet and it feels like home incredibly poignant, in fact I'm getting teary just typing this. I love this episode, to see the raw reality of what the Borg have done to individuals. Usually we see them presented as zombies who we know were once people, this is more meaningful.

12. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked how, at the end, that Marika (the one who stayed) understood "why" Seven did as she did... but still couldn't forgive Seven for doing it.

That's part of the "rawness" you discussed.

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah it's very realistic too.

Personally I think forgiveness is overrated. Kind of gets tossed at people like it's some bandaid they need to apply.

14. Qutluch

This was a great way to show how the Borg affect the drones differently depending on their primary culture and age of assimilation. It does make me realize how well Seven is taking to life on Voyager. The ending when Naoimi came to her and called her family was so sweet.

15. Shatnertage

NaomiWildman is the best.