My first voyage with Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Qutluch, Apr 14, 2012.

1. KarenLynn

KarenLynn Ensign Newbie

I quite liked this episode, but as others have pointed out, not for its wonderfully logical and coherent storyline. :p

I enjoyed it for the same reasons Qutluch mentioned, basically.

Their whole scene in Janeway's quarters where he's trying to convince her of his awesomeness cracks me up. Janeway's line "I beat out a single-celled organism?" - and her delivery - is still funny to me.

Also her response to Q's tattoo comment "mine's bigger": "Not big enough" - followed by that face. :lol:

I tend to like it when the crew gets out of their uniforms for once.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes I love all the quips :)

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

My issue with The Q And The Grey wasn't the civil war motif, I enjoyed that. But it didn't make sense to me that the crew could hold Q hostage just because they were holding Q weapons.

I remember my first time watching Voyager. It was when it first aired. I started watching TNG very close to the end of the run, by that time I had seen most of it via syndication. I watched one episode of DS9 and that was The Circle, at the time I was 12 and wanting another TNG so I didn't connect with it at all. I was hungry for more TNG and feeling I missed out on following it week to week. Caretaker was exactly what I wanted and I felt it was the greatest thing ever. It was TNG 2, and I had no idea the show was going to be in the Delta quadrant, I thought it'd be just another ship show. I was really excited about Voyager back then.

4. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Q and the Grey was an atrocious, illogical mess imo.

5. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    What a bunch of sourpusses :p I just watch it as a Bringing Up Baby/Gone With The Wind/Blazing Saddles mashup. Extra points for Plakson and "I'm not talking about the puppy."

[​IMG]

6. Alpha Flyer

Alpha Flyer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I agree -- it was meant to be a farce/screwball comedy, and succeeded as such. The exchange between Ms Q and B'Elanna alone was worth the price of admission, and the idea of Tom Paris holding a 19th century gun to the head of the Dear Leader of the continuum must have been a wet dream come true for Robbie McNeill. Sometimes it's okay to just have a laugh.

7. lurok

8. Alpha Flyer

Alpha Flyer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

:cool:

Oh, and another thing. My bonus points go to the self-referential bit of Suzie Plakson (aka the ill-fated Mrs Worf from TNG) extolling the virtues of strong Klingon women. Now that's genius!

9. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sure the one liner zingers are amusing, but they should be there to -enhance- the episode, not define it.

Tapestry is a perfect example of this. De Lancie's Q was hilarious in this one, but it really wasn't about that at all. It told a story about mortality and the how the consequences of the choices we make define us. What was this one about again?

10. teacake

I was so put off by the civil war the first time I saw it that I hated it. Not the possibly ridiculous Q civil war but the use of yet another overused American history motif. Couldn't Q have picked a scene from the WWIII?

I remember in DS9 when they did the Bell Riots. Fictional history ftw.

BUT with multiple subsequent viewings I barely notice those parts because there are other hilarious things going on.

11. lurok

I'll leave you grinches to it :)

12. teacake

I edited my post.

Gah, can I not complain about something ONCE? Must I always be the devoted unto death fangirl?!

:lol:

13. lurok

:lol:

You are the keeper of the flame. With great power comes...oh, fuck it.

14. Qutluch

Qutluch Commander Red Shirt

It may have been funnier if they were fighting it out in a court room with Jack Kervorkian on trial...

15. Qutluch

Sorry for the delay on my reviews. I went on vacation for the Holidays! I am back and as soon as I get home from work I will put my next review up! Happy New Year Everyone!

16. teacake

Happy New Year!! Looking fwd to your reviews :)

17. Qutluch

Alter Ego

Kim seeks Tuvok out to get help with his love life. He has fallen in love with a holodeck character and wishes to separate himself emotionally through Vulcan techniques. Tuvok thinks logical deconstruction followed by meditation should do the trick, and he brings him into the holodeck scene to help him deconstruct.

The whole crew meets on the holodeck for a luau. Paris goes to get Kim who had not shown up yet. No surprise, Paris talks Kim into going to the party! At the party Tuvok engages Merana in conversation, and is intrigued by her. The next day, Harry finds Tuvok hanging out with Merana in the holodeck and he becomes angry and jealous. Tuvok even deleted the computer program to show Kim that he meant no harm and had no ill-intentions toward him.

Meanwhile, the ship loses propulsion. Merana visits Tuvok in his quarters, and he calls security, only to find out that she has control of parts of the ship. The Merana holodeck character is really an alien on a ship nearby. Tuvok goes to her ship and reasons with her to let him and the VOY go, and she relents.

This was an okay episode, but not my favorite. It seemed like the whole point of the episode was to mess with Tuvok and his lack of emotion, but I do not think they pulled it off well. Overall, Tuvok did a pretty good job remaining logical. He did not really “break”. What was the purpose of this episode? There was not any character development, or a meaningful event that hurt/benefited the voyage home.
    Favorite part: B’Elanna getting hit on by the ensign, and the look on Paris’ face as she walked away.

Least favorite part: When Kim asks Neelix where Merana is he jovially responds that she is with Kes. I feel like Neelix would still be heart broken and sad when he responds to inquisitions about Kes. A little follow-through would not hurt!

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's unclear when they broke up.

19. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Possessed Kes dumped him in Warlord. They were never seen "together" after that so one draws the conclusion she stuck with it.

20. Qutluch

I assumed the same as R. Star. She broke up with him there, and it has not been mentioned since...