Movies Seen in 2017

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by od0_ital, Jan 4, 2017.

1. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Sausage Party - DVD
    Jen Kirkman: Just Keep Livin'? - Netflix

A new year, a new thread. I'll get the ball rolling since I just finished watching Sausage Party on DVD.

One of my co-workers loaned me his copy of the animated Seth Rogan comedy about sentient food at the grocery store that learns they get eaten by humans, rather than delivered to the promised land.

The voice cast is crazy, and Selma Hayak as a lesbian taco was probably one of the best, along with Edward Norton's Woody Allen impersonation as a bagel.

Personally, I think the making hygiene & toiletry products sentient was a bit too much, and zombiefied corn in shit was way over the top. But that may just have been me...

- edit -

Watched Jen Kirkman's standup special, a Netflix Original, last night. Got about halfway through it before I realized I'd only laughed once. Figured since I was already halfway in, might as well finish.

Ah, well...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  2. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Underworld: Blood Wars (7/10)

Running Total: 1

Kemaiku likes this.
  3. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks That boy is our last hope, NO! there is another. Premium Member

Hail, Caesar - HBO - I love the Coen's usually but for me this was a miss. There are actually some really good performances in it and somewhat interesting premise but in the long run, it's just dull.

4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

1. Rogue One (2016) ★★★★
    2. The Jungle Book (2016) ★★★
    3. I Am Not a Serial Killer (2016) ★★
    4. The Wave (Bolgen) ★★★

5. JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie Captain Captain

I have seen the movie Sing last week. It was pretty funny

6. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Sausage Party - DVD
    Passengers 2D - theater

Had a town-wide power outage yesterday, which sucked. Wound up at a bargain Tuesday showing of Passengers at the Carmike in Nacogdoches.

First off, the movie is not what the trailers make it look like.

Second, Chris Pratt's character Jim is uber freakin' creepy.

And, finally, that has to be the easiest money Andy Garcia ever made.

Michael Sheen's Arthur, the android bartender, was pretty cool, though I wondered if they made the bartender look mostly human (from the waist up), why didn't all the robotic servers have the same work put into them, instead of being metal boxes.

7. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Sausage Party - DVD
    Passengers 2D - theater
    Live by Night - theater
    Bridesmaids - redbox
    Miss Peregrine's School for Peculiar Children - redbox

I went over to the Carmike in Nacogdoches yesterday for the cheap matinee showing of the new movie starring/written/produced/directed by Ben Affleck, with Zoe Saldana & Chris Cooper in supporting roles. Its a Prohibition period gangster flick set in Tampa, Florida, of all damn places.

Not a bad movie, though, though once it reached a certain point, I wondered when it would end.

Rented a couple of movies from the redbox at Wal-Mart after the movie.

Bridesmaids is my new favorite Melissa McCarthy movie.

Watching MPSfPC now. Pretty good, so far, but I think the book was better.

Unexpected Chris O'Dowd double feature is unexpected.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

^I love Bridesmaids

Saw La La Land at the cinema yesterday. Hand on heart one of the best films I've seen in a long time.

9. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Premium Member

Underworld: Blood Wars

My wife and I both enjoyed the continuation of this story and hope that they make enough money to carry on with the storyline.

Kemaiku likes this.
  10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Six is already planned but I have no idea how long we'll be waiting for it.

That's what took so long with Blood Wars. They were originally going to have a David spinoff, which was probably going to be dealing with his story as we saw, then have Selene come back for 6 with a "further sequel" planned.

I think at some point they merged 5 and 6 into this one (which is pretty impressive then given how well the film flows and deals with all previous 4 movies) and are turning the original 7 into the next one.

They fudged the timeline again and now we have Amelia's "eastern coven" not be 'across a great ocean' as implied by the first movie, but in Prague which is further west than all of the Hungarian covens? derp...buuuut it could be why all of her side of the Vampire race have green/yellow eyes rather than the blue of the Hungarians.

It was great seeing the Czech Republic and Norway as a change of scenary though. Sorry, rambling now :lol:

bbailey861 likes this.
  11. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Underworld: Blood Wars (7/10)

Recently Seen:
    Ghost in the Shell 2.0 (8/10)

Running Total: 2

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Saw Assassin's Creed last night. Well there's 2 hours I'd really like to get back again.

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

1. Rogue One (2016) ★★★★
    2. The Jungle Book (2016) ★★★
    3. I Am Not a Serial Killer (2016) ★★
    4. The Wave (Bolgen) ★★★
    8. La La Land (2016) ★★ - it's OK. I like the actors and I like some musicals, but this did nothing for me.

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Finally saw The Devils (1971) which took me by surprise. I think I'd expected it to be arty and inaccessible but. whilst stylised, the film itself was relatively straightforward. I thought it was fantastic, and it was given added meaning watching it on Friday given it's about how falsehoods can be used to delude a populace!