Most untrustworthy race in the galaxy?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by LoneDragon, Apr 30, 2013.

1. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

Romulans. And of course their manipulative behaviour is entirely cultural, just like Vulcan arrogance is cultural and not biological.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And Section 31 is not an internal security organization. It doesn't exist to punish traitors or anything like the Tal Shiar and Obsidian Order do. Those organizations exist to enforce the will of the state on the individual; Section 31 only deals with external threats.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hear humans invented it. ;)

4. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Humans may take the cake buy I don't think I could ever trust a Romulan... I negate the racial stereotype by playing a Romulan on Star Trek online, very enjoyable.

5. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To all the people replying humans, I say bullcrap. I'm not saying that humans are by any means angels, but come on, they are not the bottom of the barrel.

there are more untrustworthy races in star trek. How about the romulans (lying every other appearance),yridians(has there ever been a yridian who wasn't a liar on star trek?), pakled(their entire progress is based off of deception for crying out loud), ferengi(rip off artists)... Hell, half of the androids in TNG we've seen have been lying sociopaths (lore). there are more but why bother? Humans are obviously not the most untrustworthy species.

few are more untrustworthy than the pakleds.

From memory alpha:

The Pakleds were a heavyset humanoid species native to the Alpha Quadrant. To the casual observer the Pakleds appear to be intellectually challenged, especially in their verbal skills. However, despite the marked lack of intellect they proved to be far more cunning than they appeared, and used their innocuous appearance to deceive other races.

is this a one dimensional boring trek race? yeah, sure it is. But they are a valid star trek race, and from what we've seen, they are far more untrustworthy than humans.

6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Nausicaans.

They're a race of brutes who like to throw darts at each other, get into bar fights and basically being very unpleasant. All of which makes them unpredictable and therefore untrustworthy.

I'd rather do business with the Ferengi, at least they have a code of conduct that helps you to understand them and how they operate.

The Breen should also be on the list somewhere. If the Romulans have a saying about never turning your back on one, you kinda know they're not nice people.

7. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

Breen, don't trust anyone who does not show his face.

8. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd say the Vorta, but they were genetically engineered to be that way and can't help it. The Romulans are untrustworthy by choice, so maybe they're even worse.

9. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

Definitely Ferengi. I'm no racist, but I would be if I lived in the Trek universe. Wouldn't want to do business with Ferengi, wouldn't want my kids playing with Klingons.

10. EATERoftheDEAD

EATERoftheDEAD Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Since this was clearly intended to be a discussion of cultures not races I will answer to the intention and not the wording by saying the most untrustworthy culture is by far the Borg. They exist only to consume.

11. yousirname

I suppose that depends on how you're defining 'trustworthy'. If you ask me, the Borg aren't deceptive at all about their intentions and so it's not really a question of 'trust'.

12. EATERoftheDEAD

Touche. lol

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Actually, one might argue that the Borg are always trustworthy. This is because they always do exactly what they say they do - assimilate and destroy.

14. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Q. Does one ever REALLY even know if what they are showing is even reality at all?

15. Mr. Laser Beam

^ The specific Q played by John DeLancie...I don't know if he's trustworthy, but he has never been a flat-out liar. I do believe the other Q (the Gerrit Graham version) who said that people mustn't believe that the Q really are omnipotent.

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't the Borg try to screw the Voyager crew over in Scorpion?

17. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Actually it was just a case of the crew finding out that it was the Borg who started the war with Species 8472 by invading their space. I don't get the impression that the Borg would have reneged on their deal with Janeway etc. The Borg follow a strict set of instructions that doesn't deviate.

18. LoneDragon

LoneDragon Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yeah, I meant the race most likely to say one thing, then stab you in the back. Star Fleet is most apt to try negotiation, so the whoever is most likely to use that as a weakness.

I specifically meant it to exclude the Borg(because they are pretty straight forward and make no deals to go back on) and the Q(because its really just the one Q that causes the problems).

19. yousirname

To be quite honest, I never watched most of the later episodes of Voyager, so I was really thinking of the Borg up until First Contact or thereabouts.

20. EATERoftheDEAD

The culture most apt to stab you in the back? I think that might be a toss up between the Romulans and the Cardassians.