More Star Wars films announced

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Candlelight, Feb 6, 2013.

1. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I wonder if the plan for the "non-Saga" movies would feature the Star Wars opening crawl, complete with the Williams score.

Since technically any non-Saga film will be standalone, it's not necessary that they feature a crawl, but a crawl does associate the film with the franchise.

I can't think of any other film series that has a similar opening across multiple films... Alien being the only one that comes close to mind with the spinning letters, and I can't remember if Alien: Resurrection did the same thing (I recall that Prometheus did, though). Maybe the Naked Gun movies.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    The Clone Wars uses the iconic "pull away" where the title speeds off and recedes into the distance, but there's no crawl in most episodes and there's only a TV variation on the John Williams theme that is made to sound more sinister and ominous in line with old thirties and forties serials. I suppose the standalone films could always do something along those lines and just omit an opening crawl or full rendition of the Star Wars theme.

3. tighr

Oh, I was just thinking of the gun barrel sequence from James Bond, but then remembered not all the Eon films have the gun barrel.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Except every EON Bond film has had the gun-barrel in some fashion, even if not in the iconic sense.

As far as the crawl, I would be really surprised if it's not included. It will will probably just have each film's subtitle as the header followed by the narrative, similar to is in most SW videogames.

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

There's never a crawl, just a motto or whatever you call it.

6. cooleddie74

Yeah, a quotation from a character or a real-life individual that's sort of designed to be the overriding "theme" of that particular week's episode. They're usually interesting to read.

7. tighr

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

To be honest, I'd be perfectly fine if they left out the crawl altogether in the new movies. They might have seemed kind of novel and cool originally, but by now it just seems tired.

I'd rather Abrams and the other directors just jump directly into the story.

9. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Episodes VII, VIII and IX will without question use the same exact title crawl as the previous six movies; I'd bet money on it.

The spin-offs on the other hand are open territory.

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Except the spinoff movies will use it for exactly the smae reason Lucas did with the original movie - to kickstart the narrative.

11. cooleddie74

The two Force Unleashed games did have great crawls that were as good as if not better than some of the ones used in the actual Saga.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W9hRb4ZF3U[/yt]

12. davejames

That was definitely necessary when he had to set up this brand new world of his, and explain the basic concept of the Empire and Rebellion.

But by now I think we've all got a good idea of how the SW universe works.

13. EnsignRicky

It's necessary because the old Flash Gordon serials didn't stop showing the chapter titles after part six.

14. cooleddie74

Forget those crawls. They didn't have the power of the Schwartz.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKuVcwgOFRA[/yt]

Da kids love dis one.

15. davejames

Man, when I was a kid, that movie had me literally rolling on the floor, laughing at every minute of it.

Now, not so much.

16. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Seriously? :(

17. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

They could always use the cheesy newreel intros that the Clone War tv series does for the standalone films.

18. tighr

Sterling Archer (in cheesy newsreel voice): Ring Ring, hello? Hi, it's the 1930s! Can we have our words and clothes and shitty airplane back? And hey, watch out for that Adolph Hitler. He's a bad egg!

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't see why they wouldn't use the crawls in the spin-offs. They could still use them establish exactly when and where in the saga they take place.

20. EnsignRicky

Star Wars without:

A Long Time Ago...
    STAR WARS
    Title
    Crawl

Would be like Baseball without the national anthem.