More Star Wars films announced

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Candlelight, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

http://starwars.com/news/new-spinoff-films-set-to-expand-the-star-wars-galaxy.html

Hooray, more money to throw at them! Disney is worse than Lucas!

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My guesses.

The final episode of The Clone Wars features the supposed death of Ahsoka.
    Episode VII reveals that she is still in fact alive, and she features breifly in the film.
    Spinoff 1 is Ahsoka's life between TCW and VII
    Then Spinoff 2 is the return of Boba Fett.

3. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

I'm really curious to see who they base the movies around. I would hope the major characters from the movies would be off limits. I'd like to see Ahsoka in one. Maybe another with Lando getting all gangsta and throwing back some Colt 45s?

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

AICN says the first movie will star Yoda. I remember Lucas mentioning doing a Yoda movie set hundreds of years ago back around 2005.

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Hasn't 1 of them already been confirmed as a Yoda film? Or is this on top of the third trilogy and a Yoda film (So, now 6 films confirmed)?

6. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Whose worse, the film company that keeps making movie after movie, or the fans that keep going and going?
    They wouldn't get made if there wasn't a market.

My bet: she will have very little to do with the new films.

7. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I would hope not. I don't consider myself a "purist" by any means, but to me the Star Wars saga should only include the official main feature films. The Clone Wars stuff is fun, but I treat that stuff like the EU books. None of which I've read. I don't want to have to sit down and watch hundreds of hours of cartoons and tv shows in order to understand what I'm seeing on the big screen. Much like Star Trek TWOK didn't require me to have seen "Space Seed", I shouldn't have to know who Ahsoka is to understand her role in the film.

Now, a stand alone film featuring Yoda from 1000 years ago is fine by me, as long as its not required viewing to understand the main trilogy of trilogies.

8. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Darth Maul is one possible spin off. Boba Fett too.
    I wouldn't mind seeing them in the same movie. Two guys who hate each other having to work together to stop a drug gang. Hilarity ensues.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Sounds to me like they want to release at least one movie each in the gaps between Episodes VII-IX.

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

They'll do movies about Ashoka, old Luke, young Luke, Chewie as a mere cub, Han and Leia and their dozens of kids (book, what's that?), Yoda's entire Jedi career starting with padawan-hood if not the fetal stage...if it's a recognizable brand name that's proven itself in visual media and doesn't make anyone vomit (sorry Jar-Jar), Disney will exploit it to the hilt.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Part of me is seriously concerned about franchise fatigue setting in with all these movies they're making... but part is also excited at the thought of possibly getting some really cool SW movies again.

I just hope Disney allows for a bit of variety in tone and style, and doesn't force all of these directors to be super safe and family-friendly.

12. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Yoda and Boba Fett seem like the most obvious and popular options for spinoff films, though I wouldn't mind seeing a film set between ROTS and ANH that depicts Luke as a small child starting his journey in life and would show a gradually aging Obi-Wan watching over him from afar. It'd be a chance for Ewan McGregor to reprise his role in makeup that would make him look more like Alec Guinness and expand the Outer Rim/Tatooine mythology.

But hey, that's just me. I also wouldn't mind a "Starship Troopers" type of film depicting the recently-established Imperial military and its expeditions to conquer and pacify on behalf of the Empire and the resistance cells and movements that would rise up against them and predate the Rebel Alliance.

13. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

That movie would likely be boring because canonically not enough can happen to Luke at that point.

14. cooleddie74

Probably so, although if you base part of the film around Obi-Wan's misadventures and close calls with Tatooine natives and the scum and villainy of local spaceports it could help pad out a story....the film could be about both Luke and Ben.

There was a book or graphic novel from a number of years ago that depicted Luke's life being endangered when he wandered out into the Jundland Wastes with his childhood friend "Windy" and Obi-Wan had to save the two of them. That could be the kernel for a suspense story involving young Luke.

15. Candlelight

Lucas said he would do six movies and then stop.

Disney's middle name is 'sequel'.

16. Candlelight

Side question - do you think now that Star Wars is Disney property we're likely to see the tv series emerge at last? Or is it even more dead now?

17. cooleddie74

They claim they've been working on it with more than fifty writers from all over the sci-fi/fantasy world submitting story treatments, but who knows now that Disney's in charge. If you ask me they'd be fools to turn down the money they could reap from a live-action TV series, but as of right now I'd have to say the show's status exists in some sort of pre-production limbo.

18. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

So TV shows, comics, books, endless amounts of merchandise, that wasn't about making money?

And why is it so surprising or wrong that Disney gets something for their 4 billion dollar investment. It wasn't for THX 1138 the movie.

19. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Well it couldn't be worse than the empty black suit he was in TPM... he epitomizes everything that was awful about the PT.

"Oooh, he has a red saber, he's a bad guy." End of character development.

20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Being announced next monday: THX 1139 and Birch.