MLP:FiM S4E09 - "Pinkie Apple Pie" - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Amaris, Jan 10, 2014.

?

Episode Grade

Poll closed Jan 17, 2014.
  1. A

70.0%
  2. B

30.0%
  3. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved this episode! Firstly, the song was great. Definitely worth waiting for. I love the folk style used on the show, and the song embodies all that is great about the Apple family. Loved the wagon breaking down, loved Pinkie Pie's exuberant picture taking (say "terrifying!" *click*), and there was a nice little gem there where Applejack asked when Pinkie had the time to make a scrapbook, to which Pinkie replies, "when it comes to family, you make the time." I feel that's a wonderful sentiment, and glad to see it expressed in the episode.

I did catch that Goldie had some of Pinkie's mannerisms, and her penchant to bend the laws of physics at any given moment. I giggled at the dust cat scene, and I'm pretty sure that toward the end, when they were leaving Goldie's, that I saw Lil Bub as one of the cats.

On a side note, for some reason when I saw the note on Goldie's door, my thoughts went immediately to that scene in National Lampoon's Vacation (where they're in Flagstaff, AZ), so take that for what you will. :lol:

Anyway, wonderful episode, full of great moments. It's a great little slice of life episode (which are my favorites). It gets an "A" from me.

2. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I guess I'm not the only one thinking of the Vacation movies. :D

3. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

A weaker episode than the last ones I felt. It lacked some real tension or issue. But the song was great and it was kinda fun with all the side gags so I voted B.

4. Amaris

There will be a direct reference eventually. I'm just watching for it. :D

Yeah, but I think this was supposed to be a breezy episode. The more recent ones have been a bit tension heavy, and I think they don't want to load too much on the younger viewers all at once.

5. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I think they got started on the family in-fighting too late in the story for it to be really effective (seriously, it doesn't even begin to kick in until the halfway mark), and Pinkie was mostly used for gags and cuteness without any kind of story to go with it. Given her personality, she could have tried intervening in the Apple squabbles, seeing it as her duty to keep everyone happy, only to make things worse before coming to the realization that honesty and openness are how the Apples work out their problems. There's an arc, some development, and she learns its okay for families to have different ways of expressing themselves.

Still, it was a super-funny and happy episode, which atones plenty for any sins.

It's easily the best of the season so far, and I'd shortlist it as one of the four or five best songs the show has ever done. (And it was a great choice to preview at SDCC last year.) It's funny that Ingram himself doesn't seem to think as much of it:

[​IMG]

To slightly misquote Stephen King, this just proves that artists are often the worst judges of their own work.

6. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Fun episode. The song pushed from a B to a A- for me.

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The only thing more worrying than Pinkie taking photos of Big Mac's plot is that right beside that photo, is a lock of Applejack's hair.

Pinkie just reached a new level of creepy.

8. Jolaris

Jolaris Commander Red Shirt

I thought that was what happened, but the other way around? The Apples were obsessed with seeming like a "perfect" family, when in reality Pinkie has such a good-natured and positive view of life that to her people who are able to scream and argue at each other and a moment later be friends again are the best kind of family because they trust and believe in each other despite not always getting along.

It wasn't so much character development as showing a part of her personality that we don't get to see that often if ever.

At least they should be glad Twilight wasn't around...

9. Peach Wookiee

Yeah, Pinkie might hate arguing with other ponies, but she knows that everypony argues sometimes. And she knows it happens in families. I'm sure she had some dragon-sized squabbles with her parents when she decided to go to Ponyville.

10. Jolaris

Jolaris Commander Red Shirt

And it's not like she's ever been angry at Applejack before, because someone broke a Pinkie Promise...

11. Amaris

The end seems to support that, too, as instead of worrying about their argument at the end, Pinkie jumps right in to join, gleefully shouting "argue, argue, argue, bicker, bicker, bicker!" So she recognizes it for what it is, that she knows it's a part of being family, and isn't anything serious.

12. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Solid A. Fun EP. I need to go back and watch but was there a photo or two from the scary stuff inside that cave? Might be too scary though. LOL.

13. Peach Wookiee

I suspect her abilities give her great insight into what is and is not something serious.

14. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yup, top left of one of the pages.

15. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Yeah. http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/01/discussion-creepy-monster-cave-these.html And I gotta say, those two critters look genuinely freaky! They weren't kidding this time! :lol:

Anyway, I had a blast watching this one. Not quite up there with my favorites of the season so far (which, by the way, have to be the premiere, Castle-Mane-ia, and Rarity Takes Manehatten), but just a fun (and very funny) ep.

Also, this happened, and sweet Celestia we just DIED laughing.

16. Peach Wookiee

That was brilliant!

17. Amaris

I know, it was so adorable! Apple Bloom is Best CMC (aside from Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle, who are also Best CMC).