MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

You were watching the Mets game today as well I see.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yep. Still am, in fact (also the Yanks/Tigers game). I do so love MLB.TV. :techman:

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

More dingers for the Dinger Machine. The Dinger Machine demands more dingers.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Speaking of dingers, Will Middlebrooks hit three of them (and nearly hit a fourth) during the Red Sox' 13-0 thrashing of the Blue Jays. R. A. Dickey gave up five runs in the first inning. :eek:

5. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Thats was just fantastic to see. I really think this Red Sox team is going to surprise people. They seem like a really balanced team, with the potential to have a fantastic bullpen. Those who predicted a last place finish for them are going to be disappointed.

6. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Huddy can hit...sometimes.

7. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well that was a crappy day for the Giants, at least on the field. The Ring Ceremony was decent, if a bit corny and the game sucked. Maybe now that the Ceremonies are done we can stop looking at 2012 and finally get into 2013. Let's get a routine going. Let's not have ceremonies before every home game and 2012 was nice but it's a brand new year. Hopefully today is a mulligan (And as we know teams have these from time to time) and move on to the Rockies, who have been playing well to start the season.

The Rings looked mightily impressive though, simple yet elegant.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nice to see the Yankees pull out a win against Verlander of all people.
    Also great to see Tigers and their fans honor Mariano Rivera on his last season.

Perhaps the Marlins should sacrifice Loria to it.

9. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was in awe of what the Rockies have done so far (5-1), but then I remembered that they played the Padres and they'll start facing real pitchers in San Francisco tonight. If the Rox are for real, we'll know soon. I think while their offense will remain pretty solid, their pitching will ultimately let them down.

10. Timby

The Cubs intentionally walked Yuni Betancourt today.

What.

11. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sorry but I wasn't sold on Sveum when we hired him last year and nothing he did last season really demonstrated that the team was on the right track.

I guess a Tampa Bay esque strategy of completely sucking and getting a few years of top daft picks to eventually get a cheap, talented core that can compete is a strategy.... just not one I want to watch particularly.

12. Timby

I generally think Sveum is a pretty decent manager, but ... man, giving fucking Yuni an IBB is cause for an immediate head examination.

It was pretty much the only strategy the Cubs could implement, to be fair. Hendry saddled the team with so much bad money (Soriano, Marmol's contract, should have sold high on Castro) and spent a decade destroying the farm system; when Epstein and Hoyer came aboard, they didn't have much of a choice but to ride out two or three really awful seasons as they rebuilt the team.

13. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I'm going to try to inject a topic for discussion. Who do you all consider the best manager in baseball? I'm going to go with Joe Maddon. I don't think there is a guy that gets more out of players than him. While the Yankees and Red Sox spend truck loads of cash on established players the Rays constantly remain competitive in a very tough division.

14. Timby

The impact of a manager upon wins and losses, beyond setting the lineup and making pitching changes, is generally highly overrated. In Tampa Bay's case, their continued success is due to Josh Friedman being a wizard. But Maddon is a pretty solid guy and I have a lot of respect for how open he is to new-ish statistical analysis, as well as his willingness to try crazy shit with the lineup.

Historically, I would say Earl Weaver. Present-day, it would probably come down to Maddon, Ron Roenicke and maybe Bob Melvin.

15. R. Star

To be fair... Hendry did exactly what he was hired to do. There was a "win now" mentality that the office and Tribune company seemed to embrace and he did everything he could do to make it happen. He made the big trades, signed the big players, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. He did get 3 division titles from 2003-2011. Which... is more than any other recent GM of the organization can say.

16. Timby

And the price of those three division titles (and the subsequent first-round flounces) was the absolute destruction of the team's developmental system through trades and shitty drafting, and a bunch of bad money that new management had / has to deal with. Hendry mortgaged the future in a vain attempt to win with a marginal core that basically lucked into / fell ass-backwards into the playoffs during those runs, and it was absolutely the wrong way to go.

17. Use of Time

J. Upton is three for three tonight with his sixth home run. Prado better get cracking in Arizona.

18. R. Star

I wasn't arguing that. But it was what he was brought in to do. Win now... well you have to trade something for that. I just never thought it was particularly fair to give the man the job, tell him how to do it, then complain later on when it blows up in your face. But life's not fair... 2-5 is testament enough to that. :p

19. Use of Time

I can't argue with any of that. Bob Melvin is another solid choice. A lot of it has to do with the atmosphere of the locker room, knowing when to let a guy work through a slump, spreading out playing time, managing rest. People don't know good managing when they see it but they sure as hell can tell when someone is shitting the bed, i.e. Valentine, Bobby; Guillen, Ozzie

20. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Justin Upton = 6 Yicketties
    The Marlins = 2 Dingers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.