"Mister" Spock, Scott, Chekov and Sulu?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by pfontaine2, May 27, 2013.

1. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They call me Mister Tibbs!!!!

2. Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am Captain Captain

Was Riker ever called 'Mister Riker'?

Chakotay is less useful because it's less clear whether he's a Commander or Lieutenant Commander.

3. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Spock even referred to himself as "Mister Spock."

4. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Yes, I believe he was called Mister Riker by the faux-Picard in "Allegiance".

5. Trimm

Trimm Captain Captain

He was also called Mister Riker at the end of "The Hunted".

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Admiral

In the 80s, the term "Miss", and even "Mrs", were being phased out by the feminist "Ms". Calling Saavik "Mister" in ST II was taking that direction to its next level.

7. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

I just finished re-watching "Balance of Terror" on CBS.com. In it, Kirk refers to Angela Martine as "Mister". So, it's been there in Trek from the beginning.

8. scotpens

scotpens Vice Admiral Admiral

I checked every instance of the word "Mister" appearing in the transcript of that episode. It isn't Kirk who calls Angela Martine "Mister"; it's her fiancé, Lt. Robert Tomlinson.

He's clearly using "Mister" in a joking manner.

Also of interest is that Angela wears an ensign's uniform (no sleeve braid), which is consistent with Tomlinson being her superior officer. However, the Wiki entry for the episode lists her as "Lieutenant Angela Martine."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  9. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Argh, you're right, it wasn't Kirk that called her Mister, it was Tomlinson. But I don't necessarily see it as joking. He might have been lighthearted when he said it, but it sounded like any other time we've seen a superior officer say something like "get with it, Mister".

10. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Although, other than Angela being referred to (possibly jokingly) as "mister," Numerous female officers have been referred to as "sir," instead of "ma'am." Janeway even addressed this by acknowledging that it is Starfleet etiquite to call women officers "sir," but she preferred simply "Captain." ("Ma'am will do in a crunch.")

11. 1001001

1001001 I Like the Beats and the Shouting Moderator

I just watched Relics, and Geordi refers to Scottie as "Mister Scott" a couple of times.