Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.
Well, I couldn't resist browsing the texture packs again. I still really like the cell-shaded pack, but I needed a change for a bit, and I found a nice 32x pack that's true to the default yet adds a bit of colour depth. It's called Mixcraft Semirealistic. Best of all, it has my favourite glass yet! Unfortunately I haven't been able to upload any shots due to my connection being lousy at the moment, but here's a link:
Here's an update to my house. I love the look of the light filtering through the windows under the moonlight
Nice Owain. You can almost hear the wolves howling.
^ I can hear three of them howling, myself...
Well this is a first. I got struck by lightning tonight on the server while riding a minecart.
Did a little damage to me, but it destroyed the cart altogether.
In other news, the rail line is getting close to finished. One more stack of iron should finish it.
Theres also a lava lake opened up with a viewing platform at the bottom of the Epic Mine.
i apologise if i asaked this before but what program would be the easiest to use for making a map of my world, something that works straight from the box would be good as i have very little programing skills.
I've built so many houses,(well ok 7) it would be nice to see where they are in relation to each other if that's possible.
oh and can netherrack be used to power a furnace?
What kind of view do you want? Isometric or top-down?
I use c10t for top-down views and MCMap for isometric views. I believe both come with GUI programs though the one for MCMap is better overall.
thanks i'll give them ago.
Oh and I checked. Netherrack doesn't work in furnaces.
Wood, sticks, and buckets of lava do though. Although lava is only really good for one stack of items, and you lose the bucket.
Yay, progress! The giant sheep is finished! And I managed to tame three wolves! They do follow you when you teleport don't they?
pity about the netherrack oh well.
oh mcmap dose that give the entire world or just the bits i've explored?
going to try out my first mod/texture the semirelistic one owain mentioned
The world only generates what you've explored, so both really.
Notch has posted a list of all the changes coming out in 1.6 later this week.
Ohhh nice. I'm excited about hatches. That was something I was wishing for recently.
Let's go down the list, shall we?
+ Added Nether support to multiplayer -- Yay!
+ Added craftable maps -- Meh.
+ Added hatches -- Eh?
+ Added tall grass in some biomes -- Neat.
+ Mushrooms now spreads (very) slowly -- Cool!
+ Added server property view-distance. Sets the radius of terrain updates (in chunks) to send to the players. Range 3-15, default 10. -- I'll like this.
* It’s no longer possible to build solid blocks on the top layer of the maps (sorry!) -- *shrug*
* Players stuck in walls will slide towards the nearest gap if there is one -- Oh, good. No more suffocating inside walls.
* Made booster tracks speedier -- Yay!
* Severely nerfed fire so it spread slower, and doesn’t spread infinitely -- This makes me sad.
* Seeds are now found in tall grass, using a hoe on the ground no longer works -- Uh huh.
* Blocks destroyed by other players in multiplayer now shows the breaking block particle effect -- Nice.
* Activated dispensers make sounds and trigger particles in multiplayer -- Nice.
* Doors make sound for other players in multiplayer -- Cool.
* The record player now supports more than 15 different songs -- Ooh. A way to make it less useless!
* Fixed running out of memory corrupting the current level -- Finally.
* Fixed the side textures of grass getting extra dark when mining them -- Good.
* Fixed anaglyph 3d rendering mode having severe visual bugs -- Don't care.
* Fixed the crash screen vanishing immediately -- Good.
* Fixed not being able to target blocks when at x or z pos 1000 -- About time.
* Fixed the achievements screen messing up the sky color -- Right.
* Fixed saving while sneaking dropping the player through the ground -- Hah. Yeah, that was weird.
* Fixed a system clock change messing up the game speed -- Aww, no more speed hacks.
* Fixed rain sounds not playing with fast graphics enabled -- I've never heard the rain sound because of this.
* Fixed hair and cloaks being rendered in the wrong locations on sneaking players -- I wonder how you get a cloak?
* Fixed the attack/swing animation not being applied to the armor layer -- Heh, that must look funny.
* Fixed player rotation not being loaded correctly when loading a saved game -- Good.
* Fixed arrow physics, making them not get stuck midair when you open a door -- Yeah, that always looked odd.
* Fixed arrows hitting reeds, portals, and other non-solid blocks -- Goody!
* Fixed keybindings not getting saved properly under certain conditions -- Yeah, I heard about that hitting some people.
* Fixed the player not being able to sneak off lowered blocks like cacti -- I never jump on top of cacti anyway.
* Fixed a bug where the player could mine without swinging their arm -- Yeah, I've hit that one a lot.
* Fixed boats placed on snow being placed too far up -- OK.
* Fixed submerged boats rising very very fast -- Aww, no more boat elevators.
* Fixed sand dropping onto boats getting stuck in a falling animation -- Yeah.
* Fixed a game crash when riding a vehicle or animal into the nether -- Good.
* Fixed falling while riding not dealing damage to the rider -- Makes sense.
* Fixed buttons and levers too close to the player being impossible to use -- Also an annoying bug.
* Fixed dispensers shooting through walls -- Did people use this for traps?
* Fixed fire hurting through wall corners -- Good, I always hated that. Maybe I can build the boiler in my ship, finally! It was corner fire that was doing it.
* Fixed entities reaching water through wall corners -- Weird.
* Fixed placing doors next to cacti creating half-doors -- Haha, I've seen that. What the hell?
* Fixed buttons and levers being placeable on leaves in “fast graphics” mode -- I didn't even know you could do that.
* Fixed furnaces and dispensers not dropping their contents when destroyed -- Good idea.
* Fixed dispensers biasing later slots -- Eh?
* Fixed farmland taking too long to dig -- Maybe I'll finally use farmland.
* Fixed tilling below some blocks being possible -- OK.
* Fixed tilling the underside of blocks somehow working -- Haha.
* Fixed fences and stairs sometimes becoming invisible -- Yeah, seen that one.
* Fixed walking on top of fences not producing step sounds -- Also seen that.
* Fixed fire sometimes existing mid-air as an invisible block of pain -- Heh, "invisible block of pain." Maybe that should be a real block ID.
* Fixed fences and wooden stairs not being flammable -- OH SHIT.
* Fixed fire effect on burning entities sometimes getting rendered in the wrong location -- I never saw that.
* Fixed fishing rod rendering being a bit lacking -- Never fished.
* Fixed fishing rods being stackable -- Aww.
* Fixed mining glass hiding the clouds behind the glass -- Never saw that.
* Fixed rain falling through liquids -- Never knew it did that.
* Fixed items in glass blocks not getting ejected properly -- I did not know that happened, either.
* Fixed water interacting strangely with glass -- Or that.
* Fixed glass not blocking rain sound -- Since I've never heard rain I'll have to take his word fo rit.
* Fixed fences and signs preventing grass from growing -- Good, that kind of annoyed me.
* Fixed rain and snow being incorrectly lit -- Don't think I've experienced that.
* Fixed grass staying alive below stair blocks -- Makes sense.
* Fixed the achievement screen not pausing the game -- Also a good idea.
* Fixed some screens breaking the sky tint color -- Right.
* Fixed fullscreen mode switching causing mouse issues and screen closes -- Yeah, I've had that.
* Fixed chat messages surviving through game switches -- Never saw that.
* Fixed ice so it regenerates regardless of whether it’s snowing or not -- Splendid!
* Fixed rain falling too slowly -- Fast rain ftw!
* Fixed levers being placeable on weird locations -- Damn levers.
* Fixed floor levers sometimes not delivering a signal downwards -- Good.
* Fixed floor levers sometimes not being removed when the floor is removed -- Also good.
* Fixed rail tiles sometimes not properly connecting to a new neighbor -- Yeah, lots of people reported this.
* Fixed minecarts next to each other causing extreme velocities (sorry!) -- Uh oh, no more boosters! Guess everyone will have to switch to powered rails.
* Fixed wolves not following their owner if the name has different caps -- What an odd-ass bug.
* Fixed creepers retaining charge level when they can’t see their target -- Yeah, this always seemed like a bug so I'm glad it's being fixed.
* Fixed dying in the nether spawning new portals -- This also seemed like a bug.
* “Fixed” beds in the nether -- I guess that means they'll work now? Haven't used the Nether lately since my server doesn't have it. Will be nice to be able to play the Nether, though!
* Fixed inventory acting weird when portaling by making the portal close all screens -- Haven't seen that.
* Fixed wooden pressure plates being mined with pickaxes -- OK.
* Fixed redstone repeaters having the wrong particles -- Hah.
* Fixed saplings being plantable through snow onto non-grass blocks -- Didn't know you could do that.
* Fixed ore density varying per quadrant from the center of the world -- Finally fixing the floating-point precision errors! Not that it will do any good on previously-generated chunks.
* Fixed dispenser graphics being one pixel off. ONE PIXEL!!! -- Hah!
* Fixed mushrooms spawning everywhere during nights -- I never saw that, that would've been cool.
* Fixed animals only spawning near light during the night -- This also makes sense.
* Fixed the multiplayer join screen input field being too short -- Yeah, I saw instances where you couldn't enter the full address.
* Fixed IPv6 addresses being parsed wrongly. To connect to a specific port in IPv6, use the format [1234:567::1]:25565 -- IPv6 support. Neat!
* Fixed network packets being sent unbuffered, causing huge amounts of packets being sent -- That would probably explain some of our lag.
* Fixed entity positions going out of synch sometimes. They get re-synched every 20 seconds now. -- Good idea.
* Fixed inventory icons not animating after being picked up in multiplayer -- OK.
* Fixed mushroom soup not leaving a bowl in multiplayer -- Yay, bowls!
* Fixed entities above the map height limit becoming invisible --
One wonders how they even get that high.
* Fixed healing not flashing the health bar in multiplayer -- I thought it always flashed.
* Fixed arrows being animated really strangely in multiplayer -- Don't think I've shot any arrows to notice.
* Fixed arrows triggering too many entity move updates in multiplayer -- Nice.
* Fixed the compass not pointing at the spawn location in multiplayer -- Yay!!!
* Fixed fires being impossible to put out in multiplayer -- Yikes. I didn't know that happened.
* Fixed record players spawning client-side fake records in multiplayer -- Never built a record player in SMP.
* Fixed records not playing for other players in multiplayer -- See above.
* Fixed players spawning in the wrong location and quickly lerping to the correct location -- lerping? Heh.
* Fixed monsters not being visible for players with their difficulty set to peaceful -- Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
* Fixed pigs getting hit by lightning in multiplayer spawning client-side zombie pigmen -- He should've just made it work that way by design.
* Fixed loads of exploding tnt generating way too many particles, possibly crashing the client -- I've seen videos of that. Crazy.
* Fixed bonemeal use in multiplayer sometimes spawning fake client-side trees -- Weird.
* Fixed saplings sometimes spawning trees client-side in multiplayer -- Haven't seen that.
* Fixed weather sometimes changing client-side in multiplayer -- Have not seen that either.
* Fixed grasscolor.png and foliagecolor.png not being read from texture packs -- Finally! I'm sure the Painterly folks will be thrilled to hear that.
* Fixed stats getting saved to different files in offline mode if the caps in the player name differ from the true spelling -- Also nice.
Overall, lots of annoying bugs got fixed, but some bugs people have come to exploit (boosters, boat elevators) are going away, so people will have to find new mechanics. I guess boat elevators will still work, they just won't be as crazy fast. And the fixes to wooden stairs mean there is no protection for wooden structures against lightning. You'll have to put down a non-wooden roof or you risk catastrophe! Maybe I'll throw down some stone half-blocks on top of my wooden buildings. My ship is safe since it's in a desert biome where there are no storms, thankfully.
Oh, I just have to go to the Minecraft forums to witness the reaction to this.
Still no fixes for beds makes me a sad panda. I just want to be able to sleep without the fear of randomly being molested in the night.
Well, I sure hope my wooden house doesn't end up in flames after all that hard work I put into it.... Although that only says something about the stair blocks, and not half-blocks. Might have to put down some stone blocks too though.
Maybe I'll test the wooden half-blocks tonight and see if they are flammable.
And see the map in action here.
Not really upset by the loss of the old booster cart system. Always seemed big and unweildly to me. Though I suspect it'll screw up a lot of peoples carefully planned out rail systems. At this point though is there really any need for keeping powered carts in the game?
And yay or hatches! No more worrying about falling down holes.
I hope we'll eventually get growable flowers to go with the shrooms.
Thought I'd just share what me and my buddies are doing.
Yeah. We've placed every single one of those by hand. And we're not nearly done yet.
Also when we where doing a survival kind of thing I put on some armor for the first time in a while.
I don't think Prime is amused.
EDIT; okay so I just read trough the "fix list". The thing about the grass and the foliage at the end, does that mean I won't be able to keep my nice lush colors?
Separate names with a comma.