Matt Smith's Departure Confirmed.

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Jun 1, 2013.

1. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Okay. Make the Doctor gay next time around and let him go on a search for another Adrik.

2. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You haven't - but a lot of people have, every time the issue of a female Doctor comes up.

Frankly, I don't think that we will get a female Doctor, it's too "controversial"...but really, I think it's mostly male fans who have never dated or had a real relationship with a woman that have issues with the idea of a female Doctor.

I'm a male, I like being a male, I've even consider myself a member of "the men's movement", and I do agree that the sometimes - many times - the media and a fringe branch of feminism demonize men. But I've kinda gotten away with identifying with the men's movement and the "men's rights movement", not because I don't believe in it anymore (far from it) but because it's been taken over by a bunch of ranting, immature, butthurt men who think that anytime a women makes any progress in society breaking through the glass ceiling it's somehow an assault on their masculinity. And they rant on about how ALL feminists are "feminazi" man-haters out to denigrate all of manhood, yadda-yadda. You may not be a member of the men's movement or the men's right's movement - but your ranting sounds very familiar...

Let me ask, do you date much?

3. sj4iy

sj4iy Commander Red Shirt

It's not about offending people, it's about creating new stories to keep the show fresh. Anyway, it's pretty difficult to complain or judge something that may not even happen this time anyway. It's the same thing people have been complaining about and worrying about for years, and no matter who is picked, people will worry and whine about it.

4. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Or maybe they just uh.. don't want their favourite lead character on television to be reduced by a tacky, gawdy, headline grabbing gimmick. It's such a naff idea for a publicity stunt, curse JNT for ever saying it at that press conference.

None of your fucking business?

5. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

I would love a female Doctor. I could see it succeeding and being a lot of fun. I mean, imagine if Jenny hadn't just been around for one episode...that gives us a clue. But I'd just say that Moffat would have to leave or they have to get more female writers in, or otherwise she'll end up like River, with insufferable smugness.

6. sj4iy

sj4iy Commander Red Shirt

The Doctor IS insufferably smug anyway, male or female. Not sure how a smug woman is worse than a smug man.

7. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Please remember that when you have a problem with a moderator action you need to take it up with said moderator in private.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76cW7d6Ilwk[/yt]

From "The Impossible Astronaut"

8. sttngfan1701d

^ Yeah. And Clara's punching. But that was obviously played for laughs.

9. chelly

chelly Commander Red Shirt

He deserves it in Impossible astronant. She is slapping him for putting her through that twice. Once as the girl in the suit and making her watch it. She is probably also trying to keep up appearences, since she can't let on that she knows what actually happened.

I don't remember any other slapping. I remember Rory hitting him but that is about it.

10. sttngfan1701d

Yes but I agree it would be a double standard. If the Doctor slapped a woman for ANY reason, or say, pushed her against a wall even, women's groups would be up in arms.

11. chelly

chelly Commander Red Shirt

Yes it would be a double standard if he slapped river and we got upset over that. I just don't see dalekjim's idea that all the women are treated badly or they treat the men badly. I have no problem with the women or how they are written.

I would have no problem with a female doctor. As long as it is what they want to do and not catering to a small but extremely loud group in the fanbase. (or basically a ratings ploy)

12. sttngfan1701d

Forgot that Clara also slapped him in Nightmare in Silver. Again, it had context though.

13. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

I guess they solved the problem of what Doctor will be shown in December for the Doctors Revisted on BBC-A, the 12th month: the 12th Doctors episode.

14. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

You haven't made any "points," and you are being unreasonable.

"women live life as consequence-free bitches" is probably the most reprehensible string of words I've ever seen on Trek BBS. Drop this shit, immediately.

15. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Truths.

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would totally dig a pure historical. Unfotunately, I think I read somewhere that BBC now considers the show to be strictly science fiction, and a historical isn't even likely with the novels or audios let alone the show itself.

Which I think is a bit shortsighted. Yeah, it's fun seeing cyborgs in the wild west, Daleks with Churchill, Silurians and Sontarans in Victorian times, and so on, I think a historical done properly has the potential to be the stand out episode of the season. Especially it basically be new ground for the new series to cover.

17. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

The audios do a straight historical or two per year, I'd say, which is about right. It's a limited genre.

18. sttngfan1701d

I'd love more pure sci-fi settings but the problem is I don't like the choices they make. Star Whales. Dystopia. More dystopia. A huge library planet but it's turned into a horror story. More horror and more dystopia. New Earth was first about zombies and then dystopian monsters that ate cars.

The Rings of Akhaten had a really cool setting though. More of that in the future, please.

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sure, but there's definitely room for the TV series to do one historical episode after eight years.

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I never get the problem people would have with a true historical that didn't feature a monster? It is a bit silly to suggest that every era of human hisotry was filled with aliens, and I don't see why a pirate, or a king, or an Aztec priest or a 20's mobster couldn't be just as good a villain if he didn't have a Dalek hidden away directing his every move!