Mass Effect 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PsychoPere, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually enjoyed MP after playing the Single Player Story for a while as I got more of a handle for the controls.

2. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

I'm playing on 360, but I'm planning on switching the series over to PC sometime in the next few months. That said, I'm horrible with keyboard/mouse controls right now, because I've never really done much PC gaming outside of old-console JRPG emulation and games without much need for fast clicking and such, like Civilization.

I'm daunted by the single-player. I'm absolutely petrified of the multiplayer.

3. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You can use a 360 controller on the PC.

4. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But only with games that support it. And the Mass Effect series does not support gamepads.

5. Quinton O'Connor

I read bullethead's post and I was like, ":D".

But then I read ATimson's post and I was like, ":(".

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Don't worry about it. 'WASD' will very quickly become second nature. The only tricky part is the space button, which for some reason Bioware decided to assign about 50 different situational functions to. It can make running away, diving and getting in and out of cover a bit of a toss up as to which you intend to do and what you'll actually do.

Honestly though, just stick to the bronze matches and you'll be fine. Basic rule of thumb: any character still below Lv10 should stick to bronze; Lv15 and up should be OK for gold. Needless to say the new platinum difficulty is for experienced Lv20s only. It's also worth noting that unlike SP, in MP soldiers can be one of the hardest classes to play. For the high level matches, it tends to come down to either asari adepts (for the warp/throw detonations and of course the stasis bubble) or infiltrators (mostly geth or salarian) with widows for sheer DPS.

Realistically, once you've got your characters levelled up you'll be spending most of your time in silver matches. Unfortunately, most gold matches are most often used for credit farming. If you come into a lobby and see it says 'Gold, Geth & Firebase White' at the top of the screen then you'd best leave unless you want to spend 10 rounds camping over on the far left with everyone else. It can get very dull.

7. Quinton O'Connor

Hey, thanks for the tips!

Yeah, I saw something about "the old Gold/Geth/White trick" in a topic on BSN earlier. I figured it was something like that. Credits are nice, but that's... no fun at all.

I heard about the spacebar issue. I remember some major bickering over it before ending discussions usurped all else sometime around March 8th. :lol:

8. ATimson

Eew. WASD. :ack:

(For PC games I stick with the arrow keys, personally.)

9. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yuck. I remember when I first started PC gaming years ago I used the arrow keys, but considering how nearby keys like Q, E, F, C, X etc also get used by default, it's highly inefficient.
    *Shepard runs up to a button on a wall to press it, proceeds to dive roll into the wall*

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I hate WASD, too.

And yeah, BioWare tied a lot of actions to the A button on the Xbox, too. I imagine it's the same with the X button for PS3.

11. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm a lefty that uses the mouse with my left hand, as god intended me to, so arrow keys make more sense to me. Using WASD causes me to dig my right elbow into my ribcage, which can't be good for me, but I understand why it's the default for the tyrannical righties.

12. ATimson

Only if you don't remap them too, and if you don't have problems with fingers slipping off WASD onto their neighbors and not realizing it 'cause they all feed the same. ;)

13. Quinton O'Connor

Hmm, touche. I'm a lefty as well. Arrows might be my go-to.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Wait, GodBen is left-handed? So that's how they came to call it "sinister!" :eek:

15. TheGodBen

Just because I murdered Mordin, Wrex, and Legion while claiming to be their friend doesn't mean I'm sinister.

Wait, no, it probably does. :vulcan:

16. Quinton O'Connor

You...

...monster...

17. TheGodBen

In fairness, Legion and Wrex would have died anyway, I think that pulling the trigger myself and allowing a friend to kill them instead was very righteous of me.

18. Quinton O'Connor

Whatever you say, Reaper.

:lol:

19. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Speaking of deaths, I finished ME2 on my paragade last night, and will happily be experiencing a Miranda- and Jacob-free ME3. :techman: Oh, I killed Thane too, because I find his presence in ME3 slightly on the depressing side, as he's just hanging around Huerta waiting to die. At least I spare him the indignity of getting killed by that Kai Leng loser yet again and finally get to see Kirrahe replace him.

First time I heard Shep's renegade response to TIM after destroying the Collector base. "I'm sorry, I'm having trouble hearing you. I'm getting a lot of bullshit on this line." :guffaw:

20. Quinton O'Connor

Heh, geez. I like Thane in ME3, I like Kai Leng as a secondary antagonist (he'd have been awful as a primary, though) and I like Miranda quite a bit. Different strokes, lawl. Miranda definitely could have used more screen time in 3, though; her on-the-run storyline is a passable if not good explanation for her disappearance act, but she needed more than just a single biotic blast at the end of Sanctuary. Everyone else got more action, and I wouldn't care so much if there weren't so much action going around already.

Kirrahe doesn't really fight Kai Leng, per se, btw, so temper your expectations accordingly. He does something cool, and it's something you don't see Thane do or anything, and it's very salarian. But it's no duel.

The bullshit line is absolutely stellar.