Mass Effect 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PsychoPere, Dec 10, 2010.

1. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

The imports from ME1 to ME2 didn't always appear exactly as people would have expected, so I'm sure there were a fair number of people who, like myself, did edit their character's faces in ME2. That said, I am surprised it wasn't caught, since I'm also sure there were even more people who were fine with, or just didn't notice, any "imperfections" in the importation due to the new editor in ME2 and simply continued onward without editing.

2. TheGeneral

TheGeneral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My god man, what a terrible ending. Lost complete interest in playing this again...

3. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

I finished the game yesterday.
    Not sure if the following info can be considered really a spoiler, but you were warned...
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    Romanced lt. Cortez as male Shepard... was nice to see (finally).

There were numerous scenes in the game that were really emotional/heart-wrenching.
    Played as a full paragon (except maybe 2 or 3 renegade actions), but still hadn't got the effective military strength up to 4000 (was just below that because I had 2 side-missions that I missed it would seem) - and it can be done for the surprise 'end' in SP without MP (which I don't want to touch and think that it shouldn't have played a part for SP story).

Gonna make a second play-through with mostly same options, this time doing full paragon, making sure I don't miss any side-missions and my male Shepard will have Kaiden as his love interest this time (for some reason, it would seem they fleshed out the romance dialogue/scenes for him and male Shepard better than for Cortez - especially in the ending - that was a bit odd, but maybe understandable because Cortez is not one of the main characters, though they did throw some 'nuggets' for Cortez upon better reflection - but still feels less detailed).

The 'end'... well, I have to say it was 'strange'. Everything felt 'off' (won't go into details) - though some things in it were actually quite obvious relatively early in the game.
    I wasn't aware until yesterday night after finishing the game that there's a bit more actually if some things are done 'right'... coupled with Bioware apparently telling people to keep their ME3 saves (of which I wasn't aware), and an interesting theory I stumbled upon that actually explains why numerous things in the ending felt 'off' (and that the DLC's might actually put things into perspective).
    Usually, I can actually catch these 'non-obvious' things, but I was immersed into the game and wasn't really trying to analyze it at the time, but just went along with it.

Then again, if the DLC's don't really change anything... then the ending I get in the upcoming playthrough (this time with the 'extra') will be ok (and of course, the male/Kaiden romance).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  4. PsychoPere

I wouldn't mind seeing that theory if you can recall where you saw it, or even just provide the gist of it here in spoiler code.

5. Deks

The spoiler tag doesn't work for me I'm afraid - unless the thing is always visible to me (though I don't think it's supposed to).
    I'll PM you.
    As I said, it's a theory... but I have to say that it IS a pretty good one explaining away a lot of the things that felt 'off' in the 'ending' and of course it plays on the 'extra' tidbit I mentioned

6. PsychoPere

I did see how you attempted to use the spoiler code in your previous post.
    HTML:
    [spoiler=Description of spoiler]text of spoiler[/spoiler]
    You had forgotten to include the "=Description of spoiler" part. ;)

7. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm only about twelve hours in so far and haven't done too many of the "big picture" missions but I've loving it so far.

I did notice a few differences between the demo of the first level and the game first level (with import) when Anderson was talking to you. That was appreciated for my first Shep.

I'm not going to go too spoilery but for this playthrough, there are a lot of familiar faces. I've just saved someone for the second time and am still not sure it's the best idea.

Going off some of the intel received though, it's a shame not to see a certain other person again. She keeps getting away from things blowing up around me and I was wondering if it would be third time lucky:p

My War Assets are coming along nicely (They'll have to because I'm not a great mutilplayer type). Think I've annoyed the Dalatrass though.

8. PsychoPere

I've just noticed an amusing little difference in casual wear between male and female Shepards. The sixth option for male Sheps is a leather N7 jacket and jeans, while the sixth option for female Sheps is a dress.

My Paragon male Shep generally wore one of the uniform options all the time to maintain a "professionalism" pose. With my renegade FemShep, I've been opting more for the N7 hoodie while onboard the Normandy, then one of the uniform options when I'm on the Citadel (or for interviews with Allers).

Now that I've noticed the dress, she might have to break it out next time she visits Purgatory... ;)

9. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My primary Femshep (mostly paragon) has been mostly the hoody type so far with her only going full dress uniform for the diplomatic meetings. Seems to work for the character as she can be casual
    she'd probably have given Vega a right cross for some of his comments about how she fills out a uniform.:p

10. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

The smaller character moments in this game are some of the best in any game ever made. I guess in the face of annihilation, people aren't afraid to say the things they want to say any more.

I especially loved the bromance moment between Shepard and Garrus on the Citadel. All they were missing were a couple of beers up there. I let Garrus win, and he acted like it was the greatest moment of his entire life. Made me smile.

11. PsychoPere

Yeah, I've used the full dress uniform for diplomatic meetings as well, and generally swap between the other two uniform options for Citadel visits.
    My FemShep can't really complain about Vega's comments, because she started it by saying "maybe I'm here for the view" during their first real conversation on the Normandy while Vega was exercising. ;)
    "I'm Garrus Vakarian, and this is now my favorite spot on the Citadel!" Yeah, my Shep had to let him win too. There's also a wonderful moment between the two on Earth, as you're gearing up for the last major push in the battle.

Edited to add: Damn, I had forgotten how scary a renegade Shep can look. My FemShep just hit the scary glowy eyes point.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  12. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't worry, there's still a way to fix it. And with less work than finding 50,000 platinum. ;)

13. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

Damn you Bioware! Damn you for making what might be the greatest game ever made but giving it the saddest, most depressing ending ever! Happy Ending DLC PLEASE!!!

14. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Yeah. I just this minute finished. I think I'm in a state of shock right now. Roger Ebert can shut up now, because this "game" was art. Pure and simple.

I'm not sure about your endings, but mine? WOW.

Never replayed Mass Effect before - Now I'm seriously contemplating a replay of all 3. Stunned would be the word I'd use to describe my feelings at this moment.

15. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

If they had just gave it ONE good ending, JUST ONE, it would have been the greatest game ever made. Hell, even with those endings it might still be the greatest. And I'm not just sayin this as a ME fanboy. Tiny issues aside, it was epic in every way it could be! I can't for the life of me figure out what Bioware was thinking doing what they did. Hell, the ending really made no sense.....People were in places they couldn't be....People did things for no reason.....It was a MESS. I was almost screaming at my Xbox it was so frustrating.

16. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Thinking about it....

Seriously, massive spoilers. I'm not holding back.

SPOILERS now. Look, Im not gonna take any crap if you read this and get pissed off. Ok? Good.

Why the hell was Joker jumping the Normandy through a Mass Relay? How the frak was Garrus on board? Did my other squad mates survive the reaper blast at the citadel/transport thing? HARBINGER?! I can't remember what controlling the Reapers would do, but that kid/catalyst made it sound bad, so I went with the Synthesis ending, because it sure as frak beat the Battlestar Galactica one. Seriously? Destroy ALL technology? Hm, my mind is kinda all over the place on this one.

17. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's my major issue with the ending. I don't know how we'll ever get answers, though - any DLC is going to be pre-finale...

Funny, I thought it was exactly the same as the BSG ending. The humans and Cylons - excuse me, synthetic life - are merging, and they've lost all of their high tech (no FTL anymore, which means anybody not on a world with established agriculture is dead).

The "control the Reapers" ending is fine, if not what I want for my Shepard. I would've been happy with the "destroy the Reapers" ending if it existed - unfortunately Bioware had to spoil it by making the geth and EDI pay for the Reapers' crimes. So I chose synthesis, at least for now. I reserve the right to change my mind if there is anything post-finale.

Which there won't be, because Bioware just irrevocably broke the game universe.

18. Deks

not all technology was destroyed. only synthetic life - meaning, the destruction option would destroy the reapers the geth and EDI - which would be a bit sad - but it's also the only option I think allowing Shepard to survive if the Effective Military Strength is at 4000 which opens a secret video clip post destruction of Mass Relays animation.
    Anyway... there's a theory going around that this ending is not the real one. Merely that it's an indoctrination attempt and a hallucination happening in Shepard's head - everything after Harbinger hit Shepard before reaching the transportation could be fake - the unlimited ammo gun, the normandy being at FTL, the small clip of Shepard in N7 armor taking a breath post 'destruction of the mass relays' animation while lying in rubble and a bunch of other things that don't really add up.
    Theoretically, it DOES fit, but we won't know until the DLC's come out and IF they provide a new ending.

19. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And then Shepard wakes up and Anderson is still alive, taking a shower.

20. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My copy has arrived.