Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

6.3%
  2. A

40.6%
  3. A-

21.9%
  4. B+

6.3%
  5. B

15.6%
  6. B-

6.3%
  7. C+

3.1%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

Will be Celebrating Spocktoberfest this year!
    That was my point in mentioning it, the picture of the new Matt Murdock seems to be blind, although it's hard to tell from a still.

Yes, Daredevil can do those things, but, Matt Murdock is a blind lawyer that isn't some kind of Kung Fu blind master in his spare time. I would never have belived Murdock was blind in that movie, even before Electra showed up.

Daredevil's radar sense is more like a bat or dolphin's radar than sight. He can distinguish objects at a distance, and his hightened hearing and other senses can help fill in details, (he recognizes most people by the sound of their heartbeat, not their appearance) but he can not see colors or like Alidar Jarok just posted, can't see things on a flat surface, like reading a book or looking at a picture. He can't read a regular print law book, for example, but I think I remember him reading braile.

2. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure, as I said his eyes don't work and therefore he can't perceive light waves. But the criticism I was responding to is that a certain actor didn't to a good job of portraying a "blind" person. What I'm saying is that when it comes to walking around and talking to people, he's not *effectively* blind and thus the criticism is something of a non sequitur. The white stick and glasses are just props.

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I agree with the claims that he needs to act like a regular (but quite competent) blind person when in public and viewed by others (particularly those who know him). But he's been shown to let his guard down when with Elektra, so I don't find that unusual.

4. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I think you're missing the point of the criticism. Yes, Daredevil has radar senses, but his out of uniform secret identity is not supposed to act like he has radar senses. If someone in the real world walks up to you and says he's blind and precedes to do a backflip onto a seesaw, you're not going to believe he's blind.

5. Alidar Jarok

And my point is there's always been an "Elektra exception" to that rule.

6. DEWLine

DEWLine Commodore Commodore

Hmmm. Intriguing essay there on the "radar sense" (which has likely always been an oversimplification of what Matt's added sense does)...

7. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

8. DEWLine

DEWLine Commodore Commodore

That would be good.

9. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

With Agents of SHIELD airing on television, what's the chances of Nick Fury, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and the rest getting a Agents of SHIELD movie?

10. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

Cross posted to Age of Ultron thread:

Captain America to form new Avengers Squad heading into Phase 3..with perhaps Captain Marvel?

http://badassdigest.com/2014/08/28/...embers-of-the-avengers-but-is-captain-marvel/

11. Alidar Jarok

About the same as before, maybe slightly less. But the chances were always extremely small anyway.

12. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

IIRC even in the comics, Fury isn't really known for his solo stories. He's more typically used as a title straddling supporting character, as he has been so far in the MCU.

They really ought to do a 'Black Widow' movie at some point. If Marvel can make a blockbuster out of GotG then I'm sure they can manage a female superhero movie that isn't a load of bollocks.

Hawkeye...honestly I'm not bothered either way. I don't actively dislike the character, but so far he doesn't seem all that interesting.

13. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I always had a thing for the humans in the Marvel Universe. When I see Fury, Hawkeye, even Punisher (the Welcome Back Frank series to be precise) holding their own against super powered beings, I think to myself hooray humans.

14. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

If you hate the guy, do watch the entire video posted here on the MCU films

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow. That video is a load of crap.

16. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Why, I actually agree with many points..

This isn't film-making. It's branding

17. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't even like superhero movies very much and though that was a load of crap.

18. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What a load of crap.

19. Flying Spaghetti Monster

ok...
    yes, he's kind of a troll and a douche, with no real style. I'll grant you that. but no one has actually talked about the points he made about Marvel. I find that most telling...

20. Alidar Jarok

You want to repost the most important points for those not in a convenient position to watch the video?