Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

18.1%
  2. A

26.9%
  3. A-

14.6%
  4. B+

7.6%
  5. B

14.0%
  6. B-

2.9%
  7. C+

3.5%
  8. C

4.7%
  9. C-

2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4.1%
  1. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

In both the Rami and Webb films, Spider-man was at least 17 years old. And honestly, Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield's ages never bothered me. I was still impressed by their performances and apparently, a lot of other moviegoers were also impressed. I've seen Tom Holland as Peter Parker. Yes, he did a good job. But, being younger than Maguire and Garfield does not automatically mean I'm going to regard his performance as the best of the bunch. He simply has his own style, as far as I'm concerned . . . like Maguire and Garfield.

2. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Keep in mind, I never said Tobey or Andrew were bad or that I didn't like them.

3. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

The thing is, if they don't do Peter Parker properly in Highschool this time they will never be able to do it again.
    Or at least until the entire MCU gets a reboot.
    Also an older Peter requires him to be active as Spider-Man for years, which wouldbe a bit akward to fit him into MCU continuity retroactively or retcon his origin into adulthood.
    I can see why they did go the conservative route here.

4. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Again, the reason not to use Kitty has nothing to do with popularity. In fact, only two characters would even work given the timeframe of the films, and one of them happens to be Wolverine.

5. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

It could have been anyone. All you need is a writer to make a mutant with portal powers. Hell they gave Kitty the power to send Wolverine back and she never had that power, and it's not like popularity had nothing to do with it. Wolverine didn't appear in almost every X-Men movie accidentally (missing only in Deadpool if you don't count the "Polverine" joke).

Anwar and Grendelsbayne like this.
  6. Set Harth

No, it had to be someone who was at least alive ( and not, say, a toddler ) in 1973!

7. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Why? Why couldn't it have been a time machine or a mutant who opened portals to the past who could only send one person at a time? All you need is a writer to make it possible.

8. Set Harth

So much for consistency with the comics.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  9. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Because DOFP was so consistent with the comics. :rolleyes:

Anwar likes this.
  10. Set Harth

You seem to want it to be more inconsistent.

11. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I don't remember saying anything like that. All I said was that it wasn't.

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

It does not.

Both are equally viable. Do you want Indiana Jones movies where there is nothing supernatural at all and he's just some guy stealing stuff?

No, they're just giving people who are ashamed of comics a well deserved middle finger.

As for using Logan in the movie, they could easily have used Beast and given Nicholas Hoult more to do.

It was entirely because they did just a crappy job focusing on anyone but Logan, Xavier and Magneto with those movies.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles had no supernatural elements, although it didn't have much stealing either.

14. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I guess you didn't hear about Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and the upcoming Iron Fist and Punisher series.

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

And even then, the movies have some pretty dark moments themselves.

bbjeg likes this.
  16. Set Harth

Your argument devours its own tail, if you advocate changing the time travel method used in the comic.

17. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Someone else stated the DOFP movie was close to the comic. I disagreed and said it wasn't because it wasn't. Then you said no one else could have gone back, which I also called bullshit on. I'm not advocating anything.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  18. Set Harth

In order to get out of that you have to... change the time travel method from the comic. So your go-to example to represent the comic being changed happened to be the logical result of declining to change something from the comic.

Isn't it ironic?

19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Daredevil was nuts in Season 2 for how dark it went. I honestly was surprised at some of the storylines they did within that series, as well as how far they pushed the characters.

Civil War had a pretty crazy moment as well towards the end, that surprised me, in a way.
    The reveal that the Winter Soldier was responsible for the Starks' death. Not only was it intense, but there was an overall cold feeling to it that contributed to the sudden horror portrayed. That's some pretty dark stuff right there.
    Of course, it moves on from there in a rather strange way but that definitely a dark plot thread.