Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

11.4%
  2. A

36.4%
  3. A-

18.2%
  4. B+

4.5%
  5. B

18.2%
  6. B-

4.5%
  7. C+

2.3%
  8. C

4.5%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kirk55555

kirk55555 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

An Inhumans TV show is definitely interesting. I'm a big fan of the main Inhumans characters, so having their movie get shoved off the schedule sucked. but, getting a TV show is even better then getting a movie about them I think, it lets the characters get more time, which is good for a big cast.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  2. kitik

kitik Captain Captain

So, it's going to be 8 episodes, not a spin-off of Shield, and is different from the movie project.

And that's about all we know for now. Go figure.

I really have to wonder if this is an internal struggle between Marvel tv and Marvel Feige. (Not that they're really even all that connected anymore.)

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Is replacing the movie project, apparently. Although the first two episodes will be released on IMAX screens for two weeks before the TV premiere, so it's still kind of a movie project.

4. LJones41

LJones41 Captain Captain

God, I thought they had given up on the idea of the Inhumans, after two seasons of them on "AGENTS OF SHIELD". I guess not. Unfortunately.

5. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Why unfortunately?

bbjeg likes this.
  6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Inhumans is going to be 8 episodes? I hadn't seen that in the two articles I read.
    So it's basically the Agent Carter replacement, not the Marvel's Most Wanted replacement.

7. kitik

kitik Captain Captain

Yeah, the 8 epsiode length was mentioned somewhere, don't recall exactly where.

But it won't exactly be an Agent Carter replacement, since it'll be airing in September. And that's likely a firm date that they have to keep, due to IMAX. They can't just show it in IMAX anytime, the have to block out a specific time. (In this case, the post-summer movie season is as good a time for something like this as any.)

And thanks to IMAX, it's safe to assume (hope, at least?) that they'll be spending some serious money on special effects. It should be above-average tv show effects. Actually, way above average. Especially when you consider that they only have to budget for an 8-episode series. (Which should also help the plotting of the show.)

8. LJones41

LJones41 Captain Captain

Because after two to three seasons about the Inhumans on "SHIELD", I'm pretty much sick of them. Sometimes, I think the showrunners tend to forget that this series is supposed to be about SHIELD agents and not Inhumans.

9. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

It hasn't been that long. Second half of the second and third season was about them, with Hydra overlapping.
    The current season has not so much been about Inhumans, just featuring some, mostly Daisy.

10. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I, personally, would love a Inhumans series. It's a shame it's only 8 episodes.

11. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Commodore Commodore

Interesting formatting. I now have visions of the first two episodes looking like a tent pole MCU film and the latter six looking like episodes of South Park. Which would be kind of fun. Hugo

12. Christopher

Thinking about it more seriously, if they do make the first two episodes feature-quality, that would give them assets they could amortize over the remaining six episodes to make them look better, whether sets and props or detailed digital models. If they spend the money and time building a digital model of, say, Medusa's hair or Lockjaw for the opening "movie," they can then just keep using that model in the rest of the show, even if they can't afford to have it onscreen quite as often.

13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

14. kitik

kitik Captain Captain

What exactly is the purpose of filming a few scenes from episodes 3-8 in IMAX if they're only going to be shown on tv?

Isn't that adding unnecessary cost?

15. Christopher

I think IMAX format has higher resolution. Maybe it lets them do more convincing visual effects. Also, maybe they're considering later home video releases. Are there home theater systems that can show IMAX format?

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

17. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

18. kirk55555

kirk55555 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

bbjeg likes this.
  19. JD

JD Admiral Admiral

I think the aspect ratio is also different, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing references to the shape of the picture changing when you go back and forth between IMAX and non-IMAX.

20. Christopher

I don't know if this is the same thing, but in the DVD version of the recent Ghostbusters movie, the frame had a widescreen aspect ratio with black bars above and below in the normal TV frame, but certain elements (which I presume were 3D effects in the theatrical version) broke the frame and extended into the black parts of the screen. Maybe that was an IMAX effect too, taking advantage of the difference in aspect ratios?