Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

"The Trial of Tony Stark" would make for an interesting ongoing arc in either Invisible Iron Man or Avengers. Seeing as how Norman seems like he's going to eventually escape from the Maximum Security facility he's currently in without being punished for his war crimes it would seem kind of fitting if Tony ends up being punished somehow.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

1. The Avengers. huge cosmic stories with JRJR art, I love it.
    2. Avengers Children's Crusade. I really love Jim Cheung's art! And it's a story we've been waiting years to see.
    3. New Avengers. good art, good stories.
    4. Thunderbolts. I really love the artist on this book and the villain interactions are cool.
    5. Secret Warriors. I really loved the early arcs on this book along with the Caselli art but the second half of the run has been very disappointing. I particularly didn't care for the long arc where the super powered kids disappeared and it became about the Howling Commandos.
    6. Secret Avengers. meh.
    7. Avengers Prime. That was disappointing. So much for seeing any kind of true in depth reconciliation between Iron Man and Cap.
    8. Avengers Academy. super meh.

3. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked the last issue of Secert Avengers but I agree, it's definitely slowing down. It's not even a team comic anymore. Just Steve and maybe one or two others.

It doesn't help either that like the Avengers main title, Secert Avengers feels as if it is stretching story arc longer just for the sake of doing it.

You still can't get me to read the Avengers. I still think it's a pile of crap.

I do have to admit I love Avengers Academy though. Thunderbolts as well.

4. Admiral_Young

Avengers has felt very disjointed from the start of it's relaunch. The future plot felt confusing and bungled.

5. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Every issue of Avengers feels as if several pages are missing. No real feel to any of the Avengers books right now. I get em, I read em, they go in the box. They need to eliminate 2 of the titles, get back to the core team and move on with some good stories.

6. Admiral_Young

^ I actually agree with this and would extend that idea to all Marvel's core books. There is just WAY too many books right now that don't really have anything to do with the other in my opinion. I understand the need for giving creative teams work. I'd just much rather enjoy a more condensed and cohesive universe. The X-Men universe for instance is just way too big for me to enjoy. I don't even know what the main flagship book is considered right now.

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Of course, the reason there are so many Avengers titles right now is simple: merchandise to be collected in TP just in time for for the movie blitz.

Personally, I'm enjoying ALL of the Avengers titles that I'm reading (the core four and Crusade). They all bring something different to the table, so it doesn't feel as if I'm reading the same book four times a month.

8. Admiral_Young

Once again Bendis's main Avengers title feels disjointed and incomplete to me. Every issue attempts to be "epic" but that doesn't really come across in my opinion. John Romita Jr. art is starting to bother me on the book as well. It doesn't work either and feels too grimy and borderline ugly. Spider-Woman looks ugly and Jessica is not an ugly woman. Everything looks blocky...I'm a fan of John Jr too, I just don't feel like his art is working on this book.

Secret Avengers was fun. Interesting wrap up to the Shadow Council storyline.

9. Admiral_Young

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I haven't cared for Secret Avengers so I'll be interested to see a new writer's on it. Hopefully it'll be a better storyline than the Serpent Crown or Shang Chi's evil father :lol:

11. DarthPipes

I've quit Secret Avengers. Just not that interested. Regular Avengers is just garbage to me.

12. Admiral_Young

Okay I'm officially dropping "Avengers" and won't probably pick it up until the line up change happens that Bendis has talked about. The most interesting thing about these books is the prose history of Avengers back-up story. It's obvious that Bendis intention was to make each issue like a movie but it just doesn't work. I can't stand John Jr's bulky art in this book either. The characters look ugly as all hell! Wasted promise in my opinion and poor execution. This has to be the first time where I'm extremely disappointed in a Bendis work.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I haven't bothered to read those prose things, they're actually worth reading?

This latest issue of Avengers was a total rip off. It was what 22 pages of full frame splash pages with basically no story whatsoever? For $4?

I usually love JRJR art but when he's rushed the quality noticeably dips. And these recent issues look rushed.

14. Admiral_Young

^ Agreed, and yes the prose history is fun! All the characters are in character and reminiscing about old times. I think they were talking about Wanda and Vision's romance last issue. Haven't read the installment this issue.

15. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Just goes to show how integral Joe Q was in the editorial side of the Marvel Universe. He steps down as EIC and the entire Avengers franchise goes to shit.

16. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

The prose stuff just shows Bendis is a great writer...just not of comic books.

17. Admiral_Young

As an editor I never had much of a problem with him, just his creative decisions as editor are what bugged me. I guess Axel is still trying to get a handle on things.

18. DarthPipes

For a flagship title, Avengers sets the bar low and fails to exceed it. It's a comic that thinks its better than it really is.

19. Admiral_Young

^ Agreed. It needs an artist change and an actual direction in place from the writer. Bendis seems to be going all over the place. We started with the intriguing future story line which never really went any way and was a big tease, then this Infinity Gauntlet story line with Red Hulk (I like Ross's inclusion on the team btw). Just ugh.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm getting all these flash backs to how cool I THOUGHT the original Infinity Gauntlet Miniseries was (rather than how cool it really was.).

But Thor has the Time Gem.

When the fuck is he going to figure out he should be attacking Parker a week ago?

Dufus has trouble thinking fourth dimensionally.

It used to be his hammer could take him through time before the power was stripped of him.