Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Fantastic Four is conceptually and supposedly their flagship.

(It isn't, but it was first, so it should be.)

They just have to find some one who writes or draws a Fantastic Four title that every one wants to Reed.

Of course what's happening to Johnny post Secret Wars is pretty ####ed up.

2. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Ultimate End also has Peter Parker, Scott Summers and (if I recall) Miles Morales - but the 616 versions of all three were on the Raft that escaped the supposed destruction of the 616 universe.

Also, the 616 Tony Stark at the end of Time Runs Out was, i think, still the corrupted "Axis" version, while the Ultimate End 616ish one appears to have the factory settings.

As for Doc Green, he indirectly gets some SHIELD agents killed. I can't see Marvel permanently laying that on the 616 Hulk.

So I think it's a 616 stand-in we're seeing.

3. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i think there are still a few titles that haven't been revealed yet. i highly doubt we get a new Fantastic Four series anytime soon. winter at the earliest.

4. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Fantastic Four was perhaps strongest in it's heyday in the 60s, and in the 80s with John Bryne and Walter Simonson.

Unfortunately the 90s was kind of harsh for the franchise (Although sales were still good). Tom Defalco I think writes a decent Spider-Man but I didn't like his version of the team which kind of killed Reed and Doom off, made some questionable retcons (Pretty much the minute he started with the Alicia Masters the Human Torch married turning out to be a Skrull) and costume changes for the group.

The late 90s/early00s I think tried too hard to X-men the group (With Chris Claremont being writer and using some elements from the books). The book did enjoy good writing with Mark Waid (Although elements of his run are controversial, such as the Doom skin armor) and later Hickman IMO, but since Hickman left I think the title has struggled again.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The problem is simple: a lack of talent. Fraction was their last serious attempt. Having a burnt out James Robinson takeover is pretty much a sign that no one even cares about the book especially since much of his run is hijacked by stuff occurring in the Avenger/New Avenger boards.

If Marvel gave a damn they would have gotten someone established like Bendis or Ellis or some new talent like Tom King to take over the book. But they don't care.

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Based on how good Thing solo series from 2006 was, I would love to see Dan Slott take over the FF.

7. Hound of UIster

That book did not sell iirc.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

It didn't. Which is why it only went 8 issues. But it was still a damn good read.

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be fair Jonathan Hickman was always going to be a hard person to replace on "Fantastic Four". He just did so much and elevated the concept so much, that anyone after him was going to be meh. Even Fraction...whose work on the main book I hated, but loved his "Future Foundation" work. That was the fun book.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

It's a shame, Fantastic Four had a really astonishing streak for awhile there. I really liked the Mark Waid / Mike Weinergo run. The JMS run was okay. The Mark Millar run was excellent (bad ending though). And then Hickman's prolonged run was brilliant.

11. Hound of UIster

Fraction was just one giant step backwards. The entire premise of his book was just bad imo.

12. Admiral_Young

I agree. Robinson did an okay job..but it's clear they had no real direction after Hickman's run.

13. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

RR was a master at building a long-term, epic storyline. I'm sorry we won't see a conclusion to his years-long Uncanny stories. But I think his most recent volume of Uncanny Avengers showed that he was starting to burn out creatively.

14. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I wish this was true but I feel like Disney is more determined than ever to have Marvel Comics line up with MCU. I think it's ridiculous and that no matter how successful their movies are, it's not going to lead to a dramatic increase of new readers. The comic book fanbase is what it is and that's not going to change. It should be seperate from the movie universe and it works better that way storywise.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I loved Uncanny Avengers 1-25... but then the second volume with the High Evolutionary was just instantly uninteresting.

16. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What gives you that impression? I'm not getting a single movie vibe and haven't in ages from the Avengers, Thor, Captain America, Hulk, or Superior Iron Man.

17. Admiral_Young

He's talking about how they're making the characters look like the actors. This is happening more frequently. Star Lord has looked more like Chris Pratt. Mr. Hyde now resembles Kyle MacLaughlin. They've gone back to making Coulson look like Clark Gregg...Daisy Johnson now has the codename "Skye". There will be more examples as we enter "All New, All Different".

18. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

It might or might not be happening more frequently, but characters being made to resemble movie actors is nothing new, and it isn't always actors who are likely to play them. James Bond is described as looking like Hoagy Carmichael and Tony Stark looks like Errol Flynn (d. 1959). Dr Strange has lately looked to me quite like Aiden Gillen, who was one of the names mentioned in connection with the role prior to Cumby's casting.

19. Hound of UIster

The retcon over Magneto no longer being the father of the Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver was almost certainly ordered from above. As is the emphasis on Captain Marvel and the Inhumans.

20. Admiral_Young

Not to mention Matt's new costume resembling the Netflix series costume. It's nothing new...we're saying that it is going to be happening more thanks to Disney execs.