Margaret Thatcher dead at 87

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by JoeZhang, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am Captain Captain

The reason the Left hate her so much is because she utterly and completely defeated them. Even the Labour Party had to move to a centre-right position thanks to her.

2. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Indeed.Thatcher herself acknowledged that her greatest legacy was New Labour.

As an old-time lefty myself I had zero respect for Thatcher or her policies which were (to say the least)divisive.
    To me though,the over riding sense I got from her was her hubris,arrogance and determination to never be seen to be wrong.Fatal flaws in any human being,calamitous in any politician.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The fact that Labour had to move more towards the centre and become New Labour says a lot about the British electorate in so much as both major powers are near the centre is that we are a centrist people, stray to far to the right or the left and you can make yourself unelectable. (This could in part explain why the UK is one of the more euro-sceptic countries, in that we don't like polices that are too far along one side of the political spectrum).

4. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Why? It's completely wrong - she was *never* voted for by a majority of the country but then she never needed to be because we have a FPTP system.

5. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

"She" was never voted for by anyone, actually :p

6. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Apart from the constituents of Finchley, that is, and members of the Conservative and Unionist Party.

7. Pingfah

Well, Finchley yes, but obviously we are only talking about the General Election. I'm sure she has taken part in numerous things that required voting for her at various points in her life, as have most people.

8. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

Joe Zhang, first of all i was making a joke. and you know if you had voted consevative then, thatcher would be pm.

like today if there was a general election you vote labour and they win, miliband would be pm. so don't go all outraged on me

9. Pingfah

I'm sure we can all just agree that Thatcher had as much of a mandate to govern as any other PM.

There has only been one GE since she left power where the winning party has had more of the popular vote than she achieved during any of her 3 wins. Her popularity at the polls is certainly not in question.

10. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Aging sucks sometimes, go for the glory...

11. JoeZhang

You made a mistake, it's OK.

12. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

no. you took a joke too literally, got all pedantic and what i said is pretty much what happened anyway. no mistake, OK?

"Margaret fucking thatcher! she's only in power because a majority of the country voted conservative, therefore heavily implying they endorse the party's candidate!

-what the 'edgy' 80's comedian never said because its ridiculously unwieldy

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  13. JoeZhang

I'll let the racial slur pass on this occasion, but look don't get angry about this, you made a mistake and after a quick correction by me we can move on.

So I bid you good day.

14. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait till people find out MP's can claim upto nearly £4000 each in expenses to attend a special parliamant tribute for her.:eek:

Of course we all know they wont abuse that, being the moral compass of the country that they all are.:lol:

15. Pingfah

Yeah, I read about that. Seems bonkers, they are not required to be there. If they want to bring their whole family home from whatever holiday they are on to attend this voluntary event, they should pay for it themselves.

16. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

Wait, Racial slur? what the fuck?! i made no such thing. you're just making shit up now.

seriously explain yourself.

17. Gov Kodos

Not to speak for him, but it might be the word uppity, which can be taken as particularly insulting to minorities. It's associated with speaking above their station. Just guessing, but that's what I'd say.

18. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

really? never heard that before. i'll change it guess. dictionary doesn't say its racist, just means haughty and arrogant. will have to google

and anyway, i didn't make a mistake in the first place and don't like someone claiming they 'corrected' me

19. Gov Kodos

I'm just guessing. I'll let JZ speak for himself on this. Yeah, it's something my mom would have said to her kids and grand kids, but its connotations of arrogance when addressed across racial lines can make it inflammatory. I don't think it's inherently racist like numerous racial epithets, but it can become so in interpretation very easily.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral