Lounge Olympics

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Feb 26, 2013.

?

what do you think of Olympic Lounge Games?

Poll closed Mar 8, 2013.
  1. bad idea, because ... (please specify in a post)

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. good idea, I suggest ... (please post your ideas for games)

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Over in the oldtimer thread we fondly remembered the wars between the Lounges waaaay back when.
    While a war isn't exactly my thing, how about having Olympic Lounge games instead? It might be fun to have all lounges competing. (Plus the lounges could really do with a bit more traffic.)

So far it's just an idea. We have yet to talk about the details like for example:
    Should there be a team for every lounge or will everyone be allowed to join? What disciplines shall we pick? How long should the games take?

Please post your ideas here if you'd like to have such a contest.

If you don't want olympic lounge games, please take the time to explain why you think it's no good idea.

2. rhubarbodendron

LOL I guess that's an unusually unanimous vote :D

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't get this at all. You can only see your own lounge so how will you know what other lounges are doing?

4. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

What goes on in the lounges stays in the lounges.

I don't know what Rhubarb has in mind but there are many ways to set up some competition: simple on-line games and trivia questions spring to mind.

5. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

I'm guessing it would have to be run in miscellaneous - the lounges would be where the teams could privately discuss strategy and whatnot.

6. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

What would be the object of these games, deciding who's most awesome?

If so, then there's really no point in participating. I've already won.

7. teacake

But what about if the lounge you are in is super short of participants and they really need you and you don't want to do it but suddenly there is peer pressure?

8. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

WE NEED YOU

9. teacake

I'll make cupcakes. To throw.

10. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Interesting idea. Not sure what could be done. Maybe some sort of puzzles, I have written one for the admiral a few years ago. Have another idea for one involving Science Fiction Characters. Could do that.

11. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Lounge wars cannot be organized; they must be spontaneous. To do otherwise would just result in carnage, as the mega-awesome of the Admirals would simply out any so-called competition.

Death or Cake, bitches.

12. teacake

Death AND Cake BITCHES!!!!!

:: hands auntiehill some cake to throw ::

13. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

hey captain's lounge, I challenge you to a slow-cooker battle

14. teacake

I'm making a tribble lasagne in my slow cooker. There seems to be rather a lot of it..

15. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Tribble lasagna is great. Make a little, wait a lot, and you can feed an army.

16. teacake

Tribbles, the real secret behind the loaves and the fishes.

17. rhubarbodendron

LOL a foodfight thread would be cool, too! I didn't have one in years!!
    *starts assembling her trusty cooking ladle catapult*

It's nice to see so many questions asked here. That's precisely what I had in mind: a discussion about the pros and cons.

I was thinking of a competition between the lounges that really takes place in the lounges. My idea was to ask the lounge mods to be our referees as they have access to all the lounges.

Having a competition in Misc would surely work just as well, but I am aiming at reviving the lounges which atm hover between hibernation and coma.

As for the games, there are quite a lot of possibilities. All kinds of word games should work nicely: word association, trek-me-this, the alphabet game, 2-word-story or even hangman (but for that we'd have to have one or two posters per lounge who know the solutions and post the right and wrong guesses. It'd be too much work for the Mods to do that themselves in half a dozen lounges simultaneousely. We'd have to make sure the "repliers" in each lounge are trustworthy and won't leak out the solutions to their peers).

I'm sure you can think of a lot of other things we could play.

*steps aside from the catapult and pulls the trigger*
    I trust you like a bowl of whipped cream with those cupcakes, teacake ? :angel:

:D

18. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

they have plenty of work as it is, I'd try to make it without stretching the board resources further.

The event itself would have to take place in a public place (like Misc.) for all the board to see and comment and cheer the winners and booh the losers -but all the associated work in the lounge-teams can be done in secret in the lounges; I suppose each lounge that takes part assembles a team and appoint a spokesperson who in a official capacity can carry their answers to the game-thread in Misc.

A typical thing to see would be a board-trivia quiz made by a long-time-member or group of members (as in Admirals?) If you could get anyone to make up some questions for it. This should generate some talk in the lounges on where to find the answers -and- it should help those in the lowest of lounges learn a bit about the board, it's people and how it functions.

Other things that can be played are games and quizzes that give you a link to your results, a link that can be posted on behalf of your team (this way you don't need a busload of referees only team-members discussing which result their spokesperson should should carry to the thread in Misc.

19. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

I read the title about Lounge Olympics, and my first thought was "What's wrong with Bedroom Olympics?" :bolian:

20. teacake

^Make it about that and I might actually be interested in Lounge Olympics.