Lost in Space coming to Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Starscream2112, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Starscream2112

Starscream2112 Captain Captain

I noticed that they have re-mastered Lost in Space and posted a Lost in Space HD Restoration Test to YouTube Here.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, pretty big improvement.

3. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A little dark but looks like a big improvement overall

4. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    As long as the full frame nonsense is optional, I'm in!

5. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

That's the one thing I dislike about all these remasterings. How dark the picture is. If you look at TOS (whose remastered episodes I own on DVD), and TNG, (which I don't because those are Blue Ray only), the picture is clearer, sure, but the vibrant colors are gone.

I really do not like that.

The Star Wars films are that same way too.

6. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Could the originals have been done with too much brightness & color so they would show up on 1960's thru 1980's era TV's?

Maybe what we're seeing now is how they were "meant to be", but we're used to the brighter colors and whatnot.

7. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

The remaster may seem darker, but its contrast levels and colour timing are more accurate to the original film stock. And the black and white footage is especially improved in the remaster.

I've looked at this clip several times now and it seems as though the original broadcast aspect ratio was actually a crop of a wider aspect ratio film stock. It certainly isn't a simple zoom or artificial stretching of the original 1.33:1 image. While I prefer OAR (original aspect ratio) for any filmed product, the wider ratio here seems especially well done--to the point of being seamless to anyone who never saw the original.

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I can't speak to the quality of the Star Wars restorations (let me know when I can replace my copies of the de-specialized versions with legitimate releases), but the remastered episodes of Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation don't look any less vibrant than the originals to my eyes.

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looked pretty good though "space" looked a little washed out at the end there. Maybe on an uncompressed blu-ray that looks better as it was a little blocky looking as well.

The 1.78 stuff was interesting, it didn't look like they were cropping the image as there was more information on the sides. You still don't have the framing the director may have intended or risk things like microphones or other stuff not meant to be seen but it didn't look like missing image.

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. It might look a bit darker in comparison videos, but you don't even notice when you're watching the actual eps.

11. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, admittedly, my perception of the TNG Blue Rays comes from TrekCore's screencaps, but you can see how dark the picture is in comparison with the DVD's, particularly season 2 in that case. As for TOS, a comparison of the two DVD sets (the 2004 originals and the 2008 remastered) shows that the 2004 originals is the MUCH brighter picture.

At first, I assumed it was a simple matter of adjusting the color and picture tint on my TV, but that didn't help.

12. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree.

I am glad to see it. As long as it is done right.:techman:

13. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

that looks really great. guess its a good thing i never got around to getting the series on DVD.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, it was definitely just zoomed in to crop off the top and bottom. In the first instance, look at the bins on the walls on the far left of the screen. In both the original and the modified footage, they're on the edge of the frame. And less of the overhead light fixture is visible. In the next example, there's clearly less of the top of the frame visible (the rivets around the door are closer to the top edge). There may be a bit more showing to the right of frame -- the background guard at the edge of frame is farther from the edge in the dishonestly labeled "full frame" version -- but that could just be due to a camera move at the point of the change.

This isn't an improvement. It's no better than old-style pan-and-scan, cropping off pieces of the image to fit an arbitrary frame. It's wrong. Something which was made in 1:33 should be shown in 1:33, period. There is no legitimate excuse for deleting portions of the original image.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Yeah, nothing positive comes from cropping the original aspect ratio like that. Thankfully, all of the Blu-Rays I have of 1.33:1 era shows (TOS, TNG, The Twilight Zone, Space: 1999, The Prisoner) kept the OAR (although the Star Trek titles were prepared in cropped versions for certain markets).

I suppose in this case, you might call it "tilt-and-scan?"

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I don't think I like that if they are zooming in to give a full screen picture on HD TVs.
    I wonder if MeTV and any other channels that show it will get the HD versions? I just started watching it off and on Me since I got a HDTV earlier this year. They do show the remastered STTOS episodes, and the original longer versions of the M*A*S*H episodes that are on the DVDs.

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was focusing on the sides when I first watched it but you're right it is cropped though there does seem to be more horizontal information as well. But maybe that's due to the camera movement as you suggest.

[​IMG]

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The TNG Blu-Rays have slightly more horizontal information on them than previous transfers; perhaps a similar situation is happening here?

(Although I don't know enough about the subject to comment with much authority).

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think that the original film images probably did usually have a bit of extra height and width compared to the TV frame. After all, back then, the size and horizontal and vertical positioning of the image had to be adjusted manually with knobs, so it probably helped to have a bit of leeway. In fact, TV screens even had rounded corners back then, so depending on how large you set the picture, bits of it might be cropped anyway. (I think. I remember the edges of the image being a bit inward of the edges of the screen, but I'm not sure if that was the maximum possible image size the TV was capable of. Wow, it's been so long since I had to worry about such things.)

20. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Just stumbled across this project by accident yesterday and I must say, I'm hooked. I don't own the DVD sets, but wanted to get the show for an eternity. This remastering effort looks very promising. (Even though it is done by HTV Illuminate, who rather infamously were responsible for the remastering of the second season of TNG on blu-ray.) Does anyone know whether this project already got the green light? How long might it be until an actual release?