Logan's Run: Is the Domed City actually "Sanctuary"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ian Keldon, Oct 22, 2012.

1. therealsb63

therealsb63 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have the whole Marvel Run. It was funny how Marvel had the rights to do the adaptation, but didn't have the rights to use the likenesses of Michael York, Jenny Agutter, Richard Jordan, etc...but Perez's art more than made up for it. Was too bad it got cancelled only two issues after the movie adaptation was over, I had a feeling the voice that was talking to Francis in the last issue was what we would see in the series as the Council of Elders.

Speaking of the series, how many really noticed that the formulas for the "Logan's Run" series was the exact same as the "Planet Of The Apes" series, and both were on CBS. The three good guys (either Galen & the astronauts or Logan, Jessica and Rem) come into a town/settlement, find some kind of problem/oppression/danger that they help solve/stop/dispel, and make friends and get away just before the Ape Army/Sandmen catch up with them.

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral Admiral

^Which was also the formula for The Incredible Hulk, The A-Team, and countless other shows.

3. Andrew_Kearley

Andrew_Kearley Captain Captain

^Right back to The Fugitive.

4. therealsb63

therealsb63 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You're both quite right...note even "The Hulk" was a CBS series as well..."The Invaders" followed the same motif as well.

5. aelius

aelius Commander Red Shirt

The one by Saberhagen was The Dracula Tapes. And it was awesome. Bram Stokers Dracula, but from the POV of the one character you never heard from directly in that book. Dracula himself.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

We're talking about two different books. Saberhagen did several Dracula novels, beginning with The Dracula Tapes. But he also wrote the novelization of the Coppola movie.

There have also been novelizations of such films as Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and Great Expectations, which always strikes me as a bit bizarre.

(I was once approached about publishing a novelization of The Island of Dr. Moreau, but didn't see the point; why not just reprint the original novel with the movie tie-in art on the cover?)

7. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

In the case of "Logan's Run", the movie departs so significantly from the book that it deserves it's own novelization.