Lis Sladen

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

It looks like there's a two-hour gap between "Secrets of the Stars" and the tribute. And even if it was airing right before the tribute, nobody would be watching SJA because they'd all be watching Doctor Who on BBC1 anyways.

3. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    She can't be dead. She is the keeper of Eldrad and ELDRAD MUST LIVE!!!

;)

:(

Except that, when Troughton died, he was at a convention at the time.

Still, it was pretty long by Doctor Who standards. At just over 3 seasons, she eclipses Jamie, Jo, Tegan, & Romana as the longest running companion, though she wasn't around for quite as long as the Brigadier or K-9. And she had a run longer than most Doctors.

Considering we lost both Sladen & Courtney in such quick succession, I'm guessing that God has commissioned Barry Letts to write the most awesome 3rd Doctor story ever! We all get a free DVD copy of it when we die.

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

If you go by number of episodes and/or number of hours, Jamie beats Sarah Jane (I know because I made a spreadsheet on this a few years ago and posted in this forum). Sorry, minor nitpick. :p

5. Turbo

Yeah, but that particular spreadsheet doesn't include Series 4 or SJA, or at least it didn't the last time I saw it. If I'm recalling the numbers correctly, "The Stolen Earth/Journey's End", "The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith" and "Death of the Doctor" put Sarah Jane over Jamie. Maybe.

:p

6. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Really? Damn! I suppose the seasons were a lot longer back then. I guess this means there are even more missing Troughton episodes than I thought.

7. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmmm, it might be time to recalculate to take her later appearances with Ten and Eleven into account. And I assume you counted The Two Doctors?

This is true, and I was there at the time (yeah I know, I've told that story before).

8. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Hope this is true. And if it is, I hope one of you is piratical enough to d/l it for the rest of us when you get there. :) :(

9. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh and speaking of dvd's, anyone know if she recorded any commentaries that have yet to be released? No doubt there'll at least be a lovely memorial on the next episode from her era that comes out.

10. Turbo

There are four episodes from her era which haven't been released: Invasion of the Dinosaurs, Death to the Daleks, Terror of the Zygons, and The Android Invasion. Zygons and Daleks have both been confirmed as being in production, but I have no idea if that means she was able to record a commentary. Planet of the Spiders may be her last, but it was recorded years ago and also features Nick Courtney and Terrance Dicks, so anything is possible.

As for tributes, I'll bet they expedite The Android Invasion and release it as a two-pack with Terror of the Zygons to commemorate both Lis Sladen and Ian Marter.

11. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

In reading this thread and the various tributes, I actually teared up tonight. I'm not sure why as I only knew Sarah Jane Smith a short time (School Reunion and the Season 4 finale), haven't seen her in the Tom Baker Years, and haven't seen an episode of the Sarah Jane Adventures. Still, I got emotional reading these tributes, and I think the reason why is because they've been extremely powerful and extremely classy. There's been no disagreements, no arguments, just an undying love to someone who touched so many lives.

I think that's how I see someone like Elizabeth Sladen. Everyone has a favorite doctor, favorite companion, favorite whatever, but this woman has touched the lives of so many people from producers to actors to fans (especially children fans) that it feels like a major loss in the world. She was a classy person, full of life and spirit, and personally, I saw that in School Reunion.

I guess looking at it from my perspective, casting a former companion could be something like stunt casting but I didn't see it in that episode. I saw someone who fit right in with the chemistry of Rose and the Doctor and someone who I wish I got to know more of some more. Maybe one day, I might go back and watch the Sarah Jane Adventures or the Tom Baker years, but now I only have what others say and what others are saying are sentiments that are powerful and emotional.

A hole was left by this shocking news this week. I only found out about it tonight, and my heart goes out to the family, friends, and fans who she has touched over the years.

RIP Sarah Jane. :(

12. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

A nice pictorial tribute at the Radio Times website, and some shots folks might not have seen before.

13. The Nth Doctor

Well, my spreadsheet focused only on Doctor Who and not any of the spin-offs. But...

I don't think I have her subsequent appearances on Doctor Who after "School Reunion." Unfortunately, the original file has been lost (although I'm still holding out a small hope that it, amongst many other files, will be retrieved from the damaged hard drive...) but I think I still have the screen capture of the spreadsheet somewhere. Retyping and recalculating will be a pain in the ass.

And, yes, I included The Two Doctors in Jamie's count (and The Five Doctors for Sarah Jane, but not Jamie because his appearance was a mere cameo).

14. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I asked Philip Hinchcliffe if he'd done Android Invasion's shortly after we lost Barry, he said he hadn't. AFIAK the other three weren't done before she stopped doing them either, but don't know that for certain.

I wouldn't rule out a Brigadier boxset of Dinosaurs and Zygons, or Sarah Jane set of Daleks and Androids. From what Nick Briggs was saying, they were in the process of doing a SJ documentary anyway.

15. The Nth Doctor

I did some searching and I found the old screencap. Unfortunately it's four years out of date.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Aw crikey, I just watched School Reunion and damn if it didn't send chills up my spine :(

Never mind "My Sarah Jane." I think she should be rebadged as Our Sarah Jane.

17. Epsilon IX

Epsilon IX Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just heard this only a few minutes ago, it's really upsetting!:wah: RIP Lis Sladen, you'll be sorely missed!:(

18. The Nth Doctor

I relistened to Big Finish's Zagreus yesterday and it was a double whammy. Lis Sladen's brief cameo and Nicholas Courtney's substantial role (AND *spoiler for those who haven't listened to it, but those who have, know who I'm talking about*).

I can't wait for those BBC Radio audios to arrive...

19. Valin

Valin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just found out about this. This is very sad. I'm going to have to watch "Pyramids of Mars" again soon.

My condolences to her family and friends.

RIP Lis Sladen/Sarah Jane.

20. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

This is appalling news. I'm very shocked and upset :(