Levar Burton, does not age

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Infern0, May 29, 2014.

1. PhoenixClass

PhoenixClass Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There is a physiological, and non-racist, basis for all this: people of recent African descent (all of us are descended from Africans, after all) have more collagen and melanin in their skin, which makes it more resilient.

And yes, Reading Rainbow was a great show. It would be wonderful if children could experience it again.

2. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good news then. Burton and Rainbow met their goal...yesterday. It is coming back.

3. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

LeVar Burton has, indeed, aged, as have all of the cast. It's kind of hard to believe and accept, I know, when there are celebrities like Demi Moore, for instance, who've been going to a good plastic surgeon, or whatever they've been doing. But even with that going for her, Demi would never be assumed to be under her late 30s, or under 40 even. I guess the TNG cast decided to age gracefully, for the most part, I don't know. But LeVar had a cool look when he was in TNG and there's just no way he could try that, now. It's a shame and it's not anybody's fault. Even actors get old and die eventually ...

4. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll just be thankful if he never tries the look he went with in the video for Cameo's "Word Up" again. ;)

Completely aside from some races maintaining youth longer, there's something in the water in Hollywood. Think about how many female celebrities from 25 years ago look like they haven't aged - and if they have, it was only to add a little character to their appearance and look even hotter. Cindy Crawford has only within the last couple of years really started to look a day over 25. It's very odd - and I want in on whatever it is. :D

5. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Captain Captain

^^^ that's righta. Actors are not average-looking people to begin with.

6. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

I didn't realize he is 57. Really, I didn't know how old he is. But, he looks good for 57!

7. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

They've even gone twice as high. :cool:

8. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

THIS!

People need to remember that visible aging is a function of gravity and sun damage. People of color have more melanin in our skin, which helps to impede the aging process. Ontop of that celebrities have access to the best food, medical care and beauty treatments that money can buy, as well as living lives that are high in luxury and low on stress. All of that results in the prolonged appearance of youth...even without plastic surgery.

9. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

I am glad I dipped into this minefield thread, because it helped me discover Reading Rainbow is coming back. I LOVED!!!!! that show, and so did most of my peers. It was a show you could watch as a kid and no one would call you a nerd.

10. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

About to go thrice as high...

11. Melakon

Melakon Admiral Admiral

Some of them are, but they usually don't get the film and tv jobs and stay in theatre.

12. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm just glad Burton and his non-celebrity friend are doing well after their ordeal being captured by pirates.

13. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What a neat trick! :)

14. Push The Button

Push The Button Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Then you have Wilford Brimley, who looked 60 when he was in his 40's.

15. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Michael Dorn and Tim Russ look their age. It's not only for the face. Burton always had a "young" voice.