La-La Land Records to release 4-disc DS9 soundtrack set!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by ScottDS, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, only by one. TNG was just one short of that: McCarthy, Ron Jones, Chattaway, Fred Steiner, George Romanis, Don Davis, John Debney. DS9 also featured seven: McCarthy, Chattaway, David Bell, Paul Baillargeon, Debney, Richard Bellis, and Gregory Smith. VGR had the fewest -- the four regular composers did all the episodes, with nary a guest composer in sight. Though you could add Jerry Goldsmith as the composer of the theme. (I don't count him and Courage on TNG because they didn't work directly for that show. Anyone know if Diane Warren was directly involved with arranging the theme for ENT?)

And of course you specified spinoff series. TOS had the most composers: Alexander Courage, Fred Steiner, Gerald Fried, George Duning, Sol Kaplan, Jerry Fielding, Joseph Mullendore, Samuel Matlovsky, and Wilbur Hatch. (Hatch didn't do any full scores, but he contributed some original compositions here and there, not counting songs.)

Of course, the shortest-running series of all, and the one with the fewest composers (Ray Ellis and Norm Prescott, under the pseudonyms Yvette Blais and Jeff Michael), was TAS, but I consider that more a continuation than a spinoff.

You know, it's sad that Star Trek has never had a female composer, unless you count Diane Warren. Even "Yvette Blais" was really a man.

2. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wouldn't that make it easier? No union reuse fees?

(Stargate: SG-1 had a first-season album released that was mostly or entirely synth - including some of McCarthy's work, since this was before Joel Goldsmith got the permanent gig. So it's certainly been done before.)

The soundtrack album credits Jeremy Lubbock with the arrangement. Since it wasn't written specifically for Enterprise, I'd be surprised if Diane Warren was involved.

3. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Captain Captain

Oh yes indeed.

My ears are watering when I think about Velton Ray Bunch's Silent Enemy.

ENT also had the best use of a guest composer ever - that Brian Tyler score for Canamar is astounding.

4. jb1234

jb1234 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Oh, definitely. I meant more in that there is an artistic compromise involved in downgrading from orchestra to synth. The scores also generally feel less inspired (compare Chattaway's boring synth "Awakening" score to his dynamic orchestral "Cold Station 12" work).

I'm not as concerned about those two scores because their promos are out there already. Jay Chattaway's work is the big draw for me, as none of his Enterprise work is available in any format.

5. Section 31 1/2

Section 31 1/2 Ensign Red Shirt

At the risk of this turning into an Enterprise music thread, the complete scores to Canamar, Regeneration (Tyler), In A Mirror Darkly, These Are The Voyages (McCarthy) are all on Youtube. There are also promo discs of Silent Enemy and Similitude floating around out there.

6. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Captain Captain

^ Didn't know that. I only had the official releases on my radar - so thanks a lot for that.

7. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Those were all from promo discs that are floating around.

8. Section 31 1/2

I was kind of hoping for a bit more of a tracklisting today but it seems like that's not to be. So anyway, disc four seems to feature a fuller selection of cues from 3 episodes which starts with "Our Man Bashir." That episode is an amazing score and certainly a standout of the series but I wonder if that means this disc will be loaded with source music and background stuff. Other candidates I can think of include "Take Me Out to the Holosuite" with stuff like the Federation Anthem and such.

9. Christopher

Although "Take Me Out..." is one of my favorite DS9 scores, I've always been disappointed that the Federation Anthem didn't turn out to be Jerry Goldsmith's TMP theme.

10. Section 31 1/2

I found the anthem to be a bit meandering and forgettable really. But it's certainly something I can see being included. Also countless musical performances at Quarks bar over the run of the series, klingon opera? (I hope not!), Dax's tune from Equilibrium, the do-ra-me bit from Chrysalis. There's quite a list. I hope this stuff doesn't take away from more memorable cues such as happened on the TNG disc with source music from Inner Light and The Survivors.

11. jb1234

I'd also prefer they skip the source music (except maybe the Chrysalis piece) and stick to score. It really disrupts the listening experience.

12. Christopher

There's a bit of Klingon opera by David Bell that was used a couple of times, I think (including one where Worf was playing it too loudly in his quarters or something), which I rather liked and wouldn't mind having on CD. Although it did disappoint me that Bell's take on Klingon opera was so much in keeping with Western musical conventions of scales, temperament, etc.

13. Praetorian

Praetorian Captain Captain

Good to know I'm not the only one of thinks most of Baillargeon's work pre-Enterprise was just awful, and episode damaging. Also sad to see that Bell won't have a solo disc.

14. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

so i just saw on the trek facebook this. only 300? no digital download?

15. doubleohfive

The track list is out. From the email I just got from La-La Land:

16. jb1234

Without knowing what the exact cues are, it's hard to judge the track listing here but assuming they picked the best ones from each score, this should be a great release.

(Although I'm struggling to figure out why they selected so much material from "The Storyteller", which I rewatched a week ago and can't remember a single note of music from. In general, I'm concerned the McCarthy disc is going to be dreadfully dull as they've mostly selected scores from the wallpaper era, when the show was running alongside TNG.)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  17. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Almost had a heart attack when I read the StarTrek.com page, and it said 300 units! Thank goodness it was a typo! Looks like a great selection - hopefully the tracks that come to mind for certain of those episodes will be the ones they use...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  18. Christopher

The press release conflates the names "Richard Bellis" and "David Bell" into "Richard Bell." Somebody should notify La-La Land.

19. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

looks like ill have to hold out hope of getting it on torrent or a digital download release if its just 300.

20. doubleohfive

It's 3000, not three hundred.

Also, discussing the illegal downloading of torrents is prohibited on this message board, never mind the fact that anyone who does download torrents is essentially engaging in criminal theft.