La-La Land Records to release 4-disc DS9 soundtrack set!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by ScottDS, Jun 30, 2012.

1. qbie

qbie Ensign Newbie

Actually I've ordered stuff directly from LLL before and not had any issues, I purchased the Human Target 3 CD release and got it delivered fairly quickly (10-14 days if I recall).

q

2. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I looked briefly at their website; How does delivery to the UK work? There are four CDs in the collection, is it £2 per extra CD?

3. Section 31 1/2

Section 31 1/2 Ensign Red Shirt

Field of Fire is certainly a stand out score from season 7 so I hope it's included. The episode itself is forgettable which is why I don't think the score is remembered all that much. Definately Smiths best work.

I'm surprised David Bell is only on the guest disc. But then again his work tended to be repetitive from time to time. But he did have both memorable light hearted and action scores from the series.

4. qbie

qbie Ensign Newbie

I just looked for my old email receipt, I ordered 3 things from them (Human Target 3 CD, Eureka, Spaceballs) and paid in total $12 shipping, so I'm not sure if the $2 additional fee was there when I ordered them.

As usual with international shipping YMMV with regards to the delivery time, but as I only made that one order I have nothing else to compare it to.

q

5. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Indeed, he was hardly a guest he scored 25 episodes according to Memory Alpha. Really hope we get a good chunk of Bell's work on that disk. Episodes like In the Pale Moonlight, Rocks and Shoals and The Ascent stand out in particular for me.

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

LaLaLand's website accepts international orders. They send things to me Down Under all the time.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The DS9 score of Bell's that I most remember, and want, is "Take Me Out to the Holosuite."

8. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Captain Captain

Oh great. My main reason for buying this (David Bell) doesn't even get a disc of his own. I've been aching to get more (more? any!*) of his music on CD for 15 years now. Improbable Cause. The Sword of Kahless. Sons of Mogh. The Quickening. The Ascent. Sacrifice of Angels. Who Mourns for Morn. Just to name seven examples of his best DS9 work. Those babies need disc space.

I could somehow understand if he shared one disc with tuneless/chaotic (save for "Siege of AR-558") Paul Baillargeon. But bunched together with "prolific" DS9 composers like John Debney, Richard Bellis and Gregory Smith?

The "icing on the cake" is that we get at least - if not more - 2.33 discs of McCarthy and Chattaway sonic wallpaper. As if we didn't have enough of that already.

Deeply, profoundly disappointing.

-------
    * I realise we have the score to "The Bride of Chaotica!" on CD. However, his score is a parody/approximation of those films that the episode is spoofing. There's maybe 20 seconds of "regular" Bell-ish Trek music in that release.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  9. jb1234

jb1234 Lieutenant Red Shirt

It is odd that Bell is stuffed into that third disc with everyone else but I wouldn't be surprised if one of his scores was also featured in Disc 4 (maybe "Sacrifice of Angels").

In all fairness to Baillargeon, his score to "Vox Sola" is one of the best Trek scores, period. I don't care for most of his work but he knocked it out of the park there.

10. Christopher

^Yeah, I think Baillargeon did some great work. I'm puzzled by the criticisms I've heard around here. I love "Vox Sola," and his "Rogue Planet" score was beautiful too.

11. Art Vandelay

Baillargeon did have his moments later on, granted.

For examples of how excruciatingly bad his scores can be, see the planting scene in Children of Time. That episode actually lost much of its emotional poignancy because the score ruined it.

Or everything in Shakaar.

12. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Something tells me, you'll live through this most egregious of calamities.

13. Art Vandelay

I most probably shall.

Thing is, we had to wait 20 years to get another DS9 soundtrack release apart from Emissary. Not counting the various bits on the two best-of collections.

At that rate, we might expect another release - with a slim chance of more Bell being included - in 2033.

I'm optimistic, albeit cautiously so.

14. Section 31 1/2

Hopefully the Baillargeon content is limited to "The Seige at AR-558" or even "Little Green Men." His scores for "Shakaar", "Valiant", and "Childen of Time" really hurt those episodes. I cannot recall a memorable score he did on Voyager. Though I did dig what he did in the episode "Raijin" on Enterprise.

Bell on the guest disc is still perplexing. He states in an interview at a website called "Rejected Film Scores" from a few years ago that the episodes "The Sword of Kahless", "Sons of Mogh", "Take Me Out to the Holosuite" and "Who Mourns for Morn" are his favorites and probably most likely to ever be released if the opportunity given.

http://rejectedfilmscores.150m.com/davidbellinterview.html

15. Christopher

Oh yeah, I liked Baillargeon's "Rajiin" score too. He gave Rajiin a leitmotif with a very TOS-ish sound; it reminded me a little of Gem's theme from "The Empath," although more ominous.

16. jb1234

Baillargeon also wrote moving closing cues for both "Chosen Realm" and "The Forgotten."

I kinda liked his score for "Shakaar" but keep in mind that after endless episodes of McCarthy and Chattaway at the time, the sound was fresh and being his first score, he was able to get away with more until he got toned down some. I agree his work on "Valiant" was damaging.

17. Christopher

All this is just convincing me we need an Enterprise soundtrack box set.

18. Section 31 1/2

Agreed. It's funny, Enterprise was the shortest running spin-off series yet it employed the most composers. Dennis McCarthy, Jay Chattaway, David Bell, Velton Ray Bunch, Paul Baillargeon, Brian Tyler, John Frizell and Mark McKenzie.

19. jb1234

Yup, although to be fair, only the first five were regulars. Enterprise would be trickier to release since so many of the later scores (especially season 4) were synthesized.

20. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Hell yes! The composers we're really allowed to open up the taps from Season 2 onwards. Regardless of peoples opinion of the series itself there's some excellent scores I'd really like to see released.