La-La Land Records to release 4-disc DS9 soundtrack set!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by ScottDS, Jun 30, 2012.

1. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

There's a thread in Gen Trek about Trek music started by IndySolo. In it, I posted an update I saw from La-La Land the other day.

As for the DS9 set specifically, I thought the track listing had been announced at Comic-Con?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, I could defend Bell and Baillargeon, but that's a matter of opinion. So I'll just point out that there were a few other composers for DS9. John Debney did "The Nagus" and "Progress," Richard Bellis did "The House of Quark," and Gregory Smith did "The Assignment," "Honor Among Thieves," and "Field of Fire." Although Debney is the only one of those whose work I remember as distinctive.

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Well, it turns out the big announcement today doesn't have to do with this set...

It has to do with something better. A complete score release from the original series. :techman:

4. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA34dfODi4M&feature=player_embedded[/yt]

5. Christopher

Wow. Reactions in the other thread.

6. jb1234

jb1234 Lieutenant Red Shirt

It wasn't so much Bell reused material as he just used the same chord progression over and over and over and over again (and especially for epic moments, like the mines getting phasered in "Sacrifice or Angels" or Chakotay coming across the cave of aliens in "Waking Moments."

(In the first example, C-minor to A-Major)

His material got more distinct on Enterprise but he left that show midway through the second season (for whatever reason).

7. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You could defend them, but what woud be the point? ;)Bell and Baillargeon were Berman era composers, perfectly suited for Berman's idea of sonic wallpaper music.

8. Christopher

David Bell is actually a very good composer, but like all film/TV composers, he was hired to do what the producer (or director, in film) asked him to do. If you listen to his scores for other shows, they're a lot richer than what he did for ST. He did really good work for Murder, She Wrote and the short-lived Hal Linden/Harry Morgan mystery series Blacke's Magic. (He also did shows like Simon & Simon and In the Heat of the Night, but I didn't watch those.) My father (who was a radio announcer/programmer for our local classical station) actually interviewed Bell once, back in the '80s before he became a Trek composer. I was already a fan of his at the time, so I was rather impressed.

And while I'll agree that Bell's wallpaper scores tended to be among the most repetitive, he did really good work in those Trek episodes where he was allowed to move beyond the "wallpaper" paradigm, like the weird "carnival" music in "The Thaw," the beautiful alien source music in "Remember," and the superb Captain Proton scoring he did in "Bride of Chaotica!" I also really enjoyed his comedic work in DS9 episodes like "Take Me Out to the Holosuite," and his score for ENT: "Dear Doctor" is really quite impressive.

As for Baillargeon, all I can say is that I've always rather liked the sound of his music. No, it's not very melodic, but it's got a distinctive style that I enjoy. I don't find it wallpapery at all. I particularly like his scores to ENT: "Vox Sola" and "Rogue Planet," the latter of which is quite lovely.

9. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As always Christopher you make some persuasive and good points. I have no doubt that both Bell and Baillargeon are both good composers. I initially liked them both, especially Bell's score for VOY's Unity and Baillargeon's score for Alter Ego. But as jb1234 mentioned Bell used the same chord progressions and themes on episodes of both Deep Space Nine and Voyager. Listen to the scores of VOY's Nemesis and DS9's Rocks and Shoals, they are almost identical.

McCarthy and Chattaway were alo guilty of bland scoring during the latter seasons of TNG and early seasons of DS9, but later on at least tried to work around Bermans musical restraints. The later seasons of both Deep Space Nine and especially Voyager featured some fantastic music.

10. jb1234

I think there's little doubt that all the composers Star Trek employed were very competent. Most of them got a chance to show off on Enterprise (where all the musical rules were seemingly dropped, maybe out of desperation because the show was failing).

I also enjoyed McCarthy's and Chattaway's early work on TNG, before they got muzzled. And Ron Jones, of course.

McCarthy did a very early score for SG-1 which greatly entertained me because it sounded NOTHING like his Star Trek work at the time. Very percussive and exciting (and sadly synthesized but that wasn't his fault).

11. Christopher

^I believe McCarthy collaborated a bit on Stargate SG-1 with Kevin Kiner, who was his co-composer on his electronic scores in the final season of Enterprise (by which point the budget had been slashed to the point that they couldn't afford an orchestra).

12. jb1234

Yeah, I think you're right. I got a lot of entertainment in that final season by guessing which score was electronic and which one wasn't. ;)

13. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some of McCarthy's work on SG-1 is available on album: 'The Best of Stargate SG-1'

14. Adrenaline

Adrenaline Ensign Newbie

Anyone hear any more info on this set? I am excited for the Original Series set, but to be honest was more excited about the DS9 set.

15. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

+1

16. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

La La Land posted a couple of days ago at the FSM board (about 2/3s down that page, look for "Oct 17, 2012 - 8:41 AM":

The thing about restrictions on merchandise not STID (god, what an unfortunate acronym) is just as interesting, I think, especially since it seems that the novels and reference books are not affected...

17. Adrenaline

Adrenaline Ensign Newbie

Awesome, thanks for the update.

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Fingers crossed they manage that January release date. I'd hate to have to wait 'til 2014 just because of ST12's release. :(

19. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus, January is DS9's 20th anniversary. It would be stupid not to cash in on that.

20. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain