Klingon mind sifter

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by kythe, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Crisp Crinkle

Crisp Crinkle Admiral Admiral

:klingon: The mind sifter? We do not discuss it! Its use is without honor. :klingon:

2. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe they didn't develop it, maybe they just took it from one of the races they subjugated? I always imagined that they got most of their tech that way.

3. Paradon

Paradon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's probably it.... They are always bankrupt because they fight all the time. [chuckle]

4. scotpens

scotpens Vice Admiral Admiral

I read that story. Can’t remember the author’s name, but it was a pretty good bit of Trek fanfic.

5. MLJames

MLJames Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It was written by Shirley S. Maiewski and called, of course, "Mind-Sifter." He wound up in the 1950s, though, not the 30s.

6. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was fertile ground but Trek has such a woeful record when it comes to telepathy. I love Vulcan limited telepathy with its dodgy side effects but betazoids and many other races are just inconsistent walking plot devices.

Even with today's tech we can record which areas of the brain flare up while performing tasks. The sifter is not too far away from that concept, a sophisticated lie detector that can be used in conjunction with torture and interrogation. With quantum scanners and the ability to reform memories in transported individuals, I don't think it would be impossible for the klingons to use tech that is capable of examining the chemical memory markers that flare up under interrogation.

7. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]