Kenney Pens Trek Experience Book

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by TrekToday, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Grant

Grant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm waiting for the book by Libby Erwin---"Hey, that's not my voice!"

2. Maurice

Maurice Vice Admiral Admiral

"You proceed from a false assumption."

Everyone has a "right" to write a biography. You nor I nor anyone else can tell someone what they can and can't do. Maybe few to no-one will want to read said bio, but that isn't the same thing as telling people they can't, which is flat out rude.

3. Grant

Grant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He didn't literally mean 'right' as in legal or moral right---he meant logically it makes no sense. it's just a cash grab due to the fact he was a tangential part of something that happened 46 years ago.

It's like someone who hung around the set for 3 epiusodes 45 years ago deciding to right an autobiography as if anybody cares about him. Nonsense, they are just hoping for a minor tidbit of info he might have to offer.

The guy could just have blogged or tweeted a little info and it would have been better.

"Autobiography"---ridiculous.

4. Foxhot

Foxhot Commodore Commodore

Key word, tangential. All would buy such a thin-premised book, please flash once. Who was it who said just because something could be done doesn't mean it should? But if it DID sell well, I hope it's because it's well-written....instead of us buying anything, Mikey-style, in terms of TREK items....

5. feek61

feek61 Captain Captain

Well, I read the book and it was fine. I doubt that Kenny is planning on raking in a ton of cash for this; I'm sure that is not what he expects with this book. I personally appreciate him sharing the little that he can share regarding my favorite show. Also, it was somewhat interesting to read about his life. I mean come-on, the guy was both Captain Pike and the Winston cigarette man (his counterpart was Tom Selleck the Salem cigarette guy). Anyway, a quick easy read and now every time I watch "The Menagerie" I will be looking for the denim scare on his face, lol.

6. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know, I still don't get why they needed to make him up as much as they did for "The Menagerie". Sean Kenney was chosen because he apparently had superficial similarities to Hunter -- but to my eye, they're actually even closer than that. Just look at Kenney without make-up in "Arena":

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsK/tve26553-19670119-320.jpg

And compare with Hunter as Pike:

http://www.startrek.com/legacy_media/images/200303/tos-016-captain-christopher-pi/320x240.jpg

I'm sure they could have had him playing a more articulate Pike, even one who speaks a little (albeit maybe not very much, as their voices might not be quite as closely matched as their looks). Putting the dude in heavy make-up and only giving him a beeper to communicate with always seemed like overkill to me, because certainly his physical resemblance to Jeff Hunter is actually much more striking than that.

7. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

bought it and read it.

Disappointed there wasn't more trek stuff in there, but he only worked a few weeks at most so....

8. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

As a young kid watching The Menagerie, I always wondered why wheelchair-Pike had different colored hair than normal-Pike. It looked like Pike decided to bleach his hair but I chalked it up to the radiation damage.

For some reason, when I was a youngster, hair color was a large part of the character's identity, in my mind. For example, in "Alias Smith and Jones" when Roger Davis replaced Pete Duel after Duel's suicide, I remember thinking..."that can't be the same Hannibal Heyes, he has different colored hair!"