Kahless Mimicking Voices?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - Original Series' started by Emperor Norton, May 5, 2014.

1. Redfern

Redfern Commodore Commodore

"Gastromancy"? *Snicker* Sound like sorcery invoked by flatulence. :lol:

Sincerely,

Bill

2. SermanyuQngan

SermanyuQngan Ensign Newbie

Yes, your right, I would imagine THAT certainly could be a natural trait of a species in which “The Hunt” was so central to the culture.
    Being able to throw one’s own voice or mimic the sound of a game animal or even a prey animal could understandably have been a
    survival trait which was proliferated in Klingon evolution.

3. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    A fellow African-American/black American/POC/American/dark-brown individual currently studying at a HBCU (Historical Black College and University) recently posted this quote on his Facebook page, something Lincoln said during a debate around 1858:

I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And in as much as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything. I do not understand that because I do not want a negro woman for a slave I must necessarily want her for a wife. My understanding is that I can just let her alone.

So, based on Kirk's idealized version of the man - Lincoln - he was thought of as a 'great' man, even though some, like myself, may not think of him so highly. I'm sure if the Excalbians had initially scanned and tested someone like Worf or Martok, we would have got a heroic Kahless on the 'good' side...and probably not depicted as a villain of history.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  4. Timo

Timo Admiral Admiral

...Perhaps that's what they are doing - taking the most heroic and most villainous characters from the minds of visitors, and then turning the roles around for the next visitor? The previous Earth vessel to have visited the place might have considered Lincoln the vilest wrongdoer in Earth history (in which case Green might also well be his or her hero), while the previous Klingon might have venerated Kahless. Perhaps a Romulan gave them the idea that Surak was the epitome of evil?

They claim they took Lincoln from Kirk's mind, but the other characters were created later - perhaps Lincoln was "stock"?

Timo Saloniemi

5. Noname Given

Noname Given Vice Admiral Admiral

There's no explanation needed as remember all the historical characters were taken from Kirk's and Spock's own minds; thus for Khaless, it was exactly what and how the Federation viewed him from whatever sources they had, as well as how Federation military and historical authors 'spun' things as they wrote about him.

Also, just because something was never mentioned in later episodes, it doesn't invalidate the fact something was mentioned in this episode. Just because we never saw the reincarnated/cloned Khaless mimic voices, it doesn't mean he didn't have the ability - just that there was no situation in the story being told that needed it.

6. Timo

Timo Admiral Admiral

One wonders how much Kirk would know about Klingons at that point. None of his crew appear to speak the language, while some of Picard's know at least a few words and expressions. Kirk never mentions the honor culture of the Empire, while Picard's folks are well versed in it (perhaps thanks to Worf preaching about it). Kirk has Klingon "trophies" (fake souvenirs?) in his wall in the ST:GEN pseudo-flashbacks, but Picard is an honorary Klingon!

OTOH, Klingons seem to be much more a mystery and a source of fear for the TNG folks. Kirk just deals with them as with any foe of the week.

Timo Saloniemi

7. SermanyuQngan

SermanyuQngan Ensign Newbie

Wait... We are forgetting about the smooth forehead! :hugegrin:

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk The Real Me Premium Member

Post Khitomer and Narendra III, there seems to be a thawing of the relationship between the Federation and the Empire and they became uneasy allies. So I imagine information about both flowed more easily.

Not sure about the Klingons being feared and mysterious in TNG. Though even the Vulcans, a key member of the Federation and Earth's closes ally, maintained some mysteries over the centuries.