Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

S.H.I.E.L.D. will feature new characters.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

And I'm wondering if that means entirely new characters, or if it includes comics characters who are new to the MCU, such as Mockingbird or other established SHIELD agents.

3. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

^Texas Twister is on my list.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing Joss means entirely new characters. I'm sure he would have said, characters we haven't seen yet in the MCU...I'm sure we'll get those as well. This is probably the best way of approaching the series. Self-contained yet still part of the greater MCU.

5. Christopher

I think it would be kind of a waste if they didn't use any known Marvel characters. Certainly there's room for new ones -- who's going to be the next Coulson? -- but it would also be good to tie it into the Marvel Universe by featuring established characters and ideas. There's a wealth of characters and ideas that Marvel still holds the screen rights to and that haven't been seen yet in the MCU -- it would be wasteful not to take advantage of them.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

While I agree that new characters is the best approach, they should try to work Nick Fury in, even if it is just a recurring role. If Samuel L Jackson is unavailable, they could try to see if David Hasselhoff is open to appearing.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Probably the best thing to happen is that other studios bought X-men and Spider-Man rights away from Marvel. Disney/Mavel is forced to use lesser known heroes. We wouldn't have gotten them otherwise.

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

New characters seemed to be inevitable for a few roles. I think I suggested as such, I think. But a healthy mix of new and unused B/C character roles from Marvel's library seems also inevitable...if the show survives.
    I don't think it would hold fandom's interest full time or with solid numbers. Nor do I feel the regular tv viewing audience wants to see CSI: SHIELD.

The new characters allow the writers freedom to do nearly anything from a drama perspective. Who's in danger, a traitor, fall's in love, dies etc, while bringing in a Mockingbird type character or other B tier Avenger gives the show that bit of something unique.

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just introduce the Contessa as the lead Shield agent in the series, she doesn't have to be the Deputy Director, but she could be a senior agent with her backstory with Fury kept intact.

I'm sure Joss knows what he is doing. His wealth of knowledge concerning the Marvel Universe is well known by now, so I have no concerns about the series or investing in any new characters that will be introduced to us in the series.

10. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I could see this being good.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

If this series does well, I can see them making Maria Hill a regular. Cobie Smulders' current show, How I Met Your Mother is expected to end next season.

12. Christopher

^Except that Whedon's already said that he wants the show to stand apart from the movie universe. So I doubt anyone who's appeared in the films will be more than an occasional guest in the show.

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Perhaps, but she is the only one that they can easily get from the movie for this series. Unless of course, Agent Coulson come back from the dead.

14. Christopher

But I just said they don't intend to get anyone from the movie. It's supposed to stand apart from the movies and not be directly tied to their continuity. See what Whedon just said, as quoted above in post #101. "It's new characters. It needs to be its own thing." That pretty clearly proves that he's not going to build it around Maria Hill, Coulson, that guy playing Galaga, or anyone we've seen in the movies.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I want Hill on the show, okay? I like Agent Hill. Stop KILLING my dreams with your FACTS and long and indepth paragraphs.:p

Besides, they can always decide to introduce her in season two to tie in to the movies more after establishing the original characters in the first season.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Dream! Perhaps reminding you of this will save your, um, dream.

;)

17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I'm taking Joss 'new characters' to refer to both characters who are brand new and have never been seen before in any medium - Coulson types - and characters who are new to live-action or at least the MCU, but have appeared in the comics.

I mean, he's giving a quick interview about a show still in development, I don't think he's aiming to give precise and unambiguous definitions of the words he's choosing to use. The vast majority of people who saw the Avengers will not have read a Marvel comic and thus, to them, a lot of the obscure or even moderately-known characters from the comic not yet seen onscreen will be 'new.'

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

They need to hire Zach Levi for this show. Other than that, I have no demands.

...or would also bringing in Adam Baldwin be too geeky a move? Next thing you know, Jeffster is playing the S.H.I.E.L.D. company picnic.

19. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope this has elements similar to Marvels.

Has it been revealed when it will be set? I hope it jumps back in time, it would be good to see some stories set around Captain America's era (if SHIELD were formed then, I can't quite remember if they were referenced in the film at this moment) and even possibly around the time of the other movies.

20. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Yes!!!!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great ideas/ wishlist.