Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

"Mutant" plus "X" is what got them.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is anything/one not owned by another studio automatically available to Marvel Studios?

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Yes, they have the rights to all Marvel properties that haven't been specifically optioned to other studios.

4. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

MUTANT X was actually the title of an X-Family book, although, the actual content of the book in no way was reflected in the TV show.

5. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

^^^
    Bad idea to use that title. But the point really is that the question was raised as to whether Marvel has the live action TV rights to all of their characters, and they clearly don't.

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Not just producers. Clark Gregg straight-out lied about his involvement with the show before it was announced. In fact, he lied about Coulson dying in Avengers as well. Tom Hiddleston lied about being in Avengers. Hayley Atwell denied involvement in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

It would be silly to keep the mystery going if he just turns out to be an original character, though.

8. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, they did order a nuclear strike on Manhattan without refering the White House in any way, and the real-life Pentagon refused to cooperate with the Avengers movie for exactly that ambiguity.

Unless it's been cleared up by Iron Man 3, which I haven't yet seen, I think this SHIELD show had best clarify just what this organization is, and fast.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Happens all the time. Marion Cotillard also lied by saying she wasn't Talia in The Dark Knight Rises. It is done to preserve the surprise for fans.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

SHIELD didn't order the nuclear strike. The nebulous Council they reported to ordered the strike, and Fury, the head of SHIELD, refused to obey that order.

SHIELD plays no role in Iron Man 3.

11. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Someone at Bleeding Cool had an interesting theory. J. August Richards could be playing Michael Collins (aka Deathlok). It's clear in the trailer that the tv character has some kind of cybernetic implant in his arm (possibly alien tech that could be spreading over his body with time?); and the Collins Deathlok from the comics had assistance from SHIELD in improving his condition.

All just theory, though. It would take a different interpretation of Deathlok to make it work, but there's a great deal of dramatic potential (especially if the character dies but the tech brings his body back akin to the corpse like Deathlok). Can Michael find his humanity again after that? Lots of dramatic potential; and the kind of surprising heartfelt twist I would expect from Whedon.

12. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

But the SHIELD pilot did.

Technicalities aside, the larger point remains: just who is this Council that either presumes to speak for the White House, or considers themselves above them?

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Michael Collins aka Deathlok would also fit with the sentence where he stopped short of a name and goes M---

It would be a bit of a reworking of the character though.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yes, a SHIELD pilot carried out the strike, but SHIELD itself did not order the strike. The Council ordered it.

According to the actor credits at the end of the film, they're called the World Security Council. So they're an international body, not an American one.

15. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Also, there's a shot of a chase happening in Paris in the trailer: http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/screencrush.com/files/2013/05/s25.jpg

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Like the guy said, someone really wanted their initials to spell out 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' :lol:

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Now if only we can figure out what H.A.M.M.E.R. finally stands for I'll be happy.

18. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm wondering if they'll slip and go back to one of the more 'classic' spellings...

Supreme Headquarters, International Espionage, Law-Enforcement Division

or the '91 redo as

Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistics Directorate

19. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well this is one meaning for H.A.M.M.E.R

Hate Addled Mother Muckers Eating Raspberries.

or...

Hate Arachnid Men Make Em Rot

or...

Harry Always Met Mommy En Route

or...

Heroic Americans Monitoring More Extreme Reactions

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well we know that Fury answers to a "World Council" so I assume that Shield is still an international organization. I'm sure that we'll get a bit of travelling and globe hopping.