JD's Comic Book Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Google?
    So Google has an Ebay equivalency or an Amazon equivalency?

2. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I've never been much of a comics reader before, apart from occasional forays into Buffyverse stuff. But over the last several months, I've been collecting just about all of the Spider-Gwen I can get my hands on, including her appearances in Web Warriors.

3. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I have a question for all you collectors. Do any of you have your collection insured? I"m looking into getting mine insured but it doesn't look like it's going to be cheap or easy.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I get most of my books, including the Kraven's **** Hunts from Google Play's ebook store.

5. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

my uncle tried to get his collection of Golden and Silver Age comics insured about twenty years ago. State Farm, Farm Bureau, a couple others...no one would bother.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zot!
    Has anyone read this? I picked it up at a booksale for $3 and I'd never heard of it and forgot about it.. then it popped up on a best comic books ever list somewhere. I'll have to read it now!

7. Savage Dragon

I haven't read it but I am definitely aware of it. Let us know what you think!

8. Captain Craig

For those reading and keeping up with VALIANT they have some new news.
    Psi-Lords is coming back in 2017 but the seeds are going to be sown(it seems) in this summers 4001A.D. event. The article gets it wrong about the 90's series, it wasn't a mini, just an ongoing that only went 10 issues.

The Britannia concept teased at the end of last year finally sees some concept art. Coming later this year it seems.

Lastly, Savage, another concept teased at the close of '15, gets a bit of a teaser image as well. I'm not as convinced this is going to be a Turok riff. While the VEI folks have said they are fine to push on without the Gold Key 3 that made up a crucial foundation for original Valiant they've never out right said no to them. Only No to leasing them. Maybe one day they can be wholly and outright purchased and re-integrated back into Valiant then. The Divinity character is kinda Solar-lite but the real Solar would still have a place.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are they still working on a Valiant movie universe?

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

After looking through the second collection after buying it, I've decided that Saga is too explicit for me, but now that's got me wondering about some of Image's other stuff I'm interested in.
    I don't mind sex and nudity overall, I watch Game of Thrones, Spartacus, and True Blood, but I thought that Saga took things even farther than they did.
    So here are the series I was curious about:
    The Wicked + The Divine
    East of West
    The Manhattan Projects
    Sex Criminals
    Bitch Planet
    Pretty Deadly
    The Walking Dead
    Savage Dragon

11. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

if you think Saga is too explicit i doubt you would enjoy Sex Criminals.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was kind of what I figured with that one.

13. Savage Dragon

It probably comes as no surprise, but I highly recommend Savage Dragon. I'd also recommend Invincible by Robert Kirkman. I discovered it a few years ago and love it.

14. Captain Craig

It's been just over a year since they announced a 5 picture deal with the target of Bloodshot for 2017.

I've not heard any update on this front though since then.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

East of West is amazing. Invincible is my favorite "fun" comic book.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is East of West at least tamer than Saga? I've read the first Sandman collection and flipped through the second, and read the first three Fables and flipped through the fourth, fifth and 1001 Nights of Snowfall and wasn't bothered by anything in those. I just flipped through the first collections of DMZ, 100 Bullets, and American Vampire and was fine with those. Just to give you an idea what I'm comfortable with.
    EDIT: What did it for me with Saga was the stuff on the robot's screen in the scene with the robot and the rat guy in Chapter Twelve. I haven't read the text, but based off of the images it really didn't look like it needed to be there.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm not even sure if there's nudity in East of West or not. If there is, it's very fleeting and tasteful. There's the occasional ultra-violence. It's a fascinating story masterfully written by Jonathan Hickman, with gorgeous art. It's very dense though, you'll probably have to read it twice to understand it :ouch:

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's probably going to be one of the next series I start once I get through some of the others I'm working on.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I started reading Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt yesterday. It's been good so far, but I noticed it has very little dialogue, it's almost all just narration and images.
    EDIT: I finished KLH during the week. I enjoyed it quite bit, although it was lot darker than what I usually expect for a Spidey story. I was pretty sure Kraven ended up dead, but I was pretty shocked by how it played out. So did this Kraven actually stay dead until Grim Hunt?
    I also started the Kraven's First Hunt collection. I got a big kick out of Threeway Collision, I always get a big kick out of these kinds of multiple perspective stories. I'm part way into Pt2 of the actual Kraven's First Hunt story and so far it's really good to.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  20. Savage Dragon

I don't think I've read Kraven's Last Hunt since it first came out. It was a very big deal at the time. I was lucky enough to be working in a comic book shop back then and managed to snag one of the promotional posters for it. I still have it in storage somewhere.

On an unrelated topic, has anyone been reading Faster Than Light from Image? It's got a very nice Star Trek vibe going on.