January 2013 SF&F Book Club Nominations

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Starbreaker, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I tried this either this year or last year, but I really want to do it this time. I want to give everyone who wants to join in ample time to go buy or borrow the book that we decide on.

Rules:
    • Nominate a book that you would like to read
    • Second a book if you would like to read that book as well
    • Books with the most votes will get a voting thread sometime next month
    • Must be science fiction, fantasy, supernatural, etc.
    • Must be a standalone novel or the first in a series
    • Must be widely available in paperback

2. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

There are two ways to go with this... all-time classics that many will have read [but perhaps not in a while and therefore worth rereading] or lesser-known but still great ones that fewer will have read.

In the first category I'd suggest something like The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress or Rendevous With Rama...

Or do we go with someone more modern like Le Guin, Silverberg or Gene Wolfe, for example?

Or actually modern like Neal Stephenson, etc.?

3. theenglish

theenglish Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You did try this a couple years ago. The choice was The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, which I finally got around to reading last summer. I would suggest rather than making a monthly book club have a new book every three or four months--us older guys don't have much time for personal reading.

4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

A book every three months might be more realistic. I was thinking about going with some of the lesser-known SF masterworks like Roadside Picnic or The Drowned World, etc. There's a lot to choose from.